1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

High Quality Image of Upcoming GF3 Published by 43 Rumors

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    I like it, looks very organic and about as small as you could imagine... Looks a perfect match for the 20mm f1.7... or the 14mm as shown here.

Thanks for the news Amin... I hope it's got something new in terms of performance to add to the stylish body design - how about a comms link to the latest smartphone / tablet technology? Would be nice to set a camera down and do the browsing on a nearby tablet.

Cheers

Brian

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    That's just REMARKABLY tiny. That 14mm lens is unbelievably small but it looks fairly large on that camera. I think it'd be too small for me to handle comfortably, but I'd love to check one out in person to see. If the IQ and AF performance are on par with the GH2/G3, Panasonic is really doing something here.

-Ray

4. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

I like it. The bad effect is, that it makes the whole :43: look a bit less serious. And I wouldn't be that excited about it's size. Afterall it's not much smaller than GF2, which was not much smaller than GF1. You just have to have big enough fingers and take the picture from the right direction...look how my GF1 is tiny and the 20mm is so huge on it :biggrin:

[​IMG]

5. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Oh, boy, it's TINY! :eek:.
    I think it's pretty, and would be interesting as a second body to take along in birthdays parties and weekends at granny's. But it's more like a camera for people comming from PS though. Now I agree that the G3 is the real upgrade of GF1.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    Midwest
    This might be the ticket. I could carry one body with the 14-150 zoom. And one of these with the 20mm in my pocket.

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    after that video the other, I thought it was ugly, but this photo makes it look more than passable. And when you realize it's not going to replace your regular m4/3 (at least not for anyone who uses any bigger lenses.....it looks like a nice supplemental camera.

8. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    This would be attractive to me. My GF1 went from my primary to my secondary camera when I got the G1. The 20/1.7 lives on the GF1. With the 14/2.5 (or the projected Oly 12) on the GF3 it would make an even better walking around camera than the GF1. The improved sensor would allow even better low light performance as well fixing my one major gripe of the GF1.

9. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Looks like one for the woman in your life.... wonder if they'll do it in pink? :)

10. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    +1

I was thinking exactly the same thing, my EP2 + oly 14-150 and this one + 20mm.

11. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    I'm middle of the road as far as looks go, biggest gripe is same as for GF2, no mode dial, therefore I would expect it to have touch screen as does GF2.
    Rule number 1 - touch screens are crap
    Rule number 2 - small bodies with touch screens are even worse

Seems to be designed for the home market rather than European/American (smaller physical stature)

Look at the success of the Fuji X100, THAT'S the way forward for the Euro/USA market.
    It may be less portable than the GF series
    it may not have interchangable lenses
    but it looks good, performs well and is 'obviously' what a lot of photographers want.
    I'm sure Pansonic could come up with something along similar lines (perhaps based on the L1 design) and I think they could be on to a winner.
    The GF2 and 3 are not for me, TOO small and hate touch screen
    GH2 or G3 would be obvious upgrade path for me at the mo', but would prefer proper rangefinder style like Fuji X100.

12. clakclakDINGzip

clakclakDINGzip New to Mu-43

Jun 8, 2010
    looks a little bit like a Sanrio branded urinal from the 31st century. =/

13. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    I think from this one angle it looks really good. It all depends on the depth of the camera also, which is hard to tell in this picture. With the new improved sensor and small body, it will be good for people who work with pancakes.

Personally, I think anyone with no experience with touchscreen should hold their comments until they try the camera. Not every camera will be made for you, that is why they have different camera lines. Ultimately there is need for all types of camera styles to attract buyers from all groups whether professional, amateur or casual.

I have e-pl1 but sometimes i feel like I am not in "one" with the camera because it take longer to change settings that i like. So my next camera will be pro oriented to see if that helps me out. But i like this camera also for size purpose alone with pancake lens.

The most important factor i care about is improvement of AF and high iso quality. I am glad that is being improved on with this sensor.

14. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    While if don't love the GF3's looks, I don't really have a problem with it. As for complaints about the lack of external controls, fair enough but I don't think they are important for the target market. If the GF3 brings in more customers and ensures micro four-thirds will be profitable, great. As long as they keep making cameras for enthusiasts as well.

As for me, the GF3 could potentially be a back-up to the G3. But here's a question: Would it fit into my pocket as well as my Canon S95? That's the camera I take to parties and informal, social situations. I also have a Panasonic LX3. Yes, both cameras have smaller sensors than micro four-thirds. But we're taking about social snaps here and that is clearly the GF3's mission. Frankly, the lens on the LX3, as small as it is, prevents it from fitting in a shirt pocket, pants pocket or blazer pocket. It's a jacket or coat pocket at a minimum - or a separate camera bag. I suspect that'll be the case with the GF3 as well. So it's tiny in a technical sense but not so much in a practical sense - no more so than the G3.

If Panasonic could wedge in a micro four-thirds sensor in a camera as small as an S95, they might bring the house down. On the other hand... will the GF3 convince enough young people to abandon their iPhone cameras - especially now with the new iCloud service?

15. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Panasonic isn't going for that market segment. The X100 has been a success on some level for Fuji but the X100's market is tiny.

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Good luck to all those that want to use the 100-300 on the GF3 :smile:

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I have no problems with my Zuiko 50-200mm SWD on the Olympus E-PL2 PEN. I find it works best with the tripod mount attached, as that gives me a solid support for my hand while operating the zoom and focus rings. That was the problem with the larger lenses on the micro cameras, is operating lens rings with one hand, while the other holds the body at the shutter release.

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Looking at the overall design of the camera (from what we've seen in the leaked video and this high-res photo here), my guess is that the difference is in depth of the camera, not the size of the face. The GF-3 is probably thinner like the NEX, thus accounting for the lack of hotshoe.

19. Spaceghost33

Spaceghost33 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    Too small for me. I like my camera to FEEL like a camera. Then again, I have large-ish hands. I'll stick with my GF1. Starting to think I need to add a 14mm though.

20. antithetic

antithetic Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2010
    City of Angels
    But there's no tripod mount/collar for the Panasonic 100-300mm?