1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

High ISO makes me lazy

Discussion in 'Nature' started by goldenlight, Jun 17, 2013.

1. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I'm not sure if the dramatic improvement in high ISO on the E-M5 is a good thing. I managed to slip up Hatfield Forest this evening for the last hour and a bit of daylight. On my way out I remembered my tripod but thought, "Nah, I've got an E-M5." The thing is, neither of these pictures should have been taken hand held, I should have used a tripod and ISO 200. This is a very bad habit that I must break! :redface:

ISO 3200
    HATFIELD_FOREST_025_e_c_r_s.

ISO12800
    HATFIELD_FOREST_031_e_c_r_s.

2. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    To me the iso 3200 shot has more signs of noise, not that they spoil the image at all.
    Nice images, I wish my G1 had such capabilities!

3. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    It's hard to tell at web resolution, of course, but the shot at ISO 3200 does appear more grainy in the OOF background. However, when you look close there is definitely more noise luking in the shadows of the ISO 12800 shot. This shot was helped by over exposing slightly, then bringing it down in PP (Expose To The Right technique). However, I could not risk over exposure even by just a little on the iris shot because the highlights on yellow flowers burn out very easily.

4. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    I, moreover, found out that I can take almost any low light picture with iso2500 and 1,8 open lense, or if it is too dark I go up to iso6500. The images turn out pretty well.

Like this example was shot in the pretty dim museum no-windows room handheld at iso6500 (this was a OOCJpeg if I'm not mistaken with noise reduction set to "on"; currently I have it set it "off" as there is so little noise that I like to keep it). Overall, Olympus indeed made a huge step forward with the high iso capabilities of their OM-D sensor. I believe it is going to stay around on market for some years to come.

Attached Files:

5. DanSullivan

DanSullivan Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Colorado
    Dan Sullivan
    must... resist....

(still using my G10 which I rarely push past 400!)

6. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    I'm in the same boat, but, to me, it's harder to get an Olympus than a Panasonic, so, probably I'll go with the new G6, even if it doesn't quite match the OMD in high iso.