1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

High-end telephoto zoom for Grand Prix weekend?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Promit, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The Baltimore Grand Prix is less than two weeks from now, and I'm thinking of buying or renting a high end telephoto for the occasion. Last year I did the job with an E-PL1 and the 45-200mm.

ISO 250, 200mm, f/7.1, 1/640s
    P9032392.JPG
    How things have changed in a year. I've got some rather high end bodies, and I'd like a lens that is at a similar spec. This is something I'd buy and resell, or rent for the weekend. I want to be able to reach 200mm. Notably, aperture seems to be not a big deal, based on the photo above. Don't care about IS either. Weather sealing might be nice on the off chance it rains. Focusing speed may not matter, as these cars are moving too fast for continuous-AF unless I get a real DSLR. But it may still be useful to AF for prefocus.

So I've got the following options I'm thinking of:
    • Protect the wallet, use the 45-200mm, practice technique.
    • Pana 100-300mm. The fastest and sharpest native lens at 200mm.
    • Oly 50-200mm non-SWD. A range I know works well, fast aperture, excellent optics. Still have AF, but it'll be slow and potentially unreliable. Weather sealed. Have the adapter.
    • Adapted manual zoom. Haven't found one that'd cost less than the Oly 50-200 yet.
    • Give up and rent a different system entirely in search of working continuous AF.
    I'm pretty dim on the last two choices, and pretty heavily torn on the first three...the 100-300mm is slightly cheaper to rent and noticeably cheaper to buy. Of course the 45-200 is the easiest option of all, but I've heard that the bigger lenses will turn out significantly better images.

2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The 100-300 is a good option. Not too much money to rent, still not too big and heavy, you can decide if you want to activate in-lens IS and it's a faster lens from 100 to 200mm than the 45-200mm zoom.

3. docfl

docfl New to Mu-43

Aug 15, 2012
    Florida
    Daniel Weingrad
    You may not get beyond the 45-200mm which is suprisingly good...better than expected.

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Promit, Did you enjoy the BGP last year? I could not believe how noisy it was! I passed on all the earplug dealers and was sorry that I did. I ended up sticking my iPod buds in my ears. Finding a good, clear photo perspective was tough too. I tried shooting from a few places but there was no good way to avoid the fences. It was the worst ALMS venue I have ever witnessed. I don't think I will go back this year (and I can even get free tickets).