HiFi Stereo Audiophile or any audio gear - room or car

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Sonic Frontiers Pre-amp & Cal Audio CD Player.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Got myself new computer setup. Before I had some small computer speakers. But then I wanted something else, well, long story short. But this unit can send by Bluetooth and capable of everything I want. Problem was to get it to fit somewhere :) but I made a new shelf above the monitor and tilted down the speakers a little. Works good! Very satisfied with my new units here. Also, the matching color on the speakers was a big plus. Amongst the best speakers I could find for this and they where available in the perfect finish also! :)

49770667492_4619f544b7_b.jpg

Computer Stereo Shelf by Daniel Cederberg, on Flickr

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I like the rack.
Always had trouble figuring out where to put the turntable on a shelf setup with the HiFi under the TV.
That's one of the reasons I went for a vertical rack. It's also the most compact configuration I can think of. BDI no longer make this rack. It's a shame because it's incredibly rigid and non-resonant.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Sadly, I can't contribute to this forum photographically as I've recently sold all my precious HI-Fi and Vinyl LP collection due to serious deafness.
I owned a Pink Triangle Anniversary turntable, with SME Series V arm and Ortofon cartridge.
The amps were Sugden AU41 pre and power versions, feeding Heybrook Sextet speakers bi-wired via DNM solid core wire.
I don't know if that means anything to anyone on here, but there was over six grands-worth of goodies.

Fortunately, the guys who bought my stuff are all real enthusiasts and I'm just delighted it's gone to good homes.
I sold most of my vinyl to a dealer, who said that most of it would end up in the Czech Republic and Russia.
I have kept a couple of rare albums I'd like to dispose of sometime, one of which recently sold for over £1,800!

As an aside, I can't identify any performers anymore, which really bugs me and all music sounds so tinny.
I've just got some new hearing aids which cost almost £4,000 so I'm hoping to get them set up so I can at least enjoy a bit of music occasionally.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing some great gear on here.
Sorry for the ramble. :boohoo:

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
That McIntosh gear is gorgeous!
McIntosh make some of the most striking yet understated audio equipment available. It sounds great too, but it's too massive for most apartments or smaller condos. If I was going to buy from scratch, I'd buy a TOTL integrated amp or receiver these days. The amp is an MC252 and will put out 330 w/ch without clipping. I rarely hit 1 w/ch when listening to music and 2 w/ch with an action movie.
The amp weighs 94.5 lbs and needs 2 people to safely unpack and install it on that bottom glass shelf. Getting too old to move it anymore.

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
McIntosh make some of the most striking yet understated audio equipment available. It sounds great too, but it's too massive for most apartments or smaller condos.
Oh I’m well aware of the sound McIntosh is capable of. I was lucky enough to restore a pair of late 60’s ish MC75’s that belonged to an exes father. Took me a few months to get them up and working again, but once I did, wow. I had a pioneer elite at the time, and these 40+ year old tube amps put it to shame. I hated to give them back, but it’s been a life goal to own some McIntosh gear of my own ever since. If you ever want to sell...:whistling:

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
The listening room, which has probably been rearranged half a dozen times since taking this picture (I think I need a bigger house for all this stuff) -

08E0FAF8-B508-40A2-AB64-022E080D769F.jpeg

And of course the home theater room -
8F5EF578-D44F-4C46-81C4-F1D5E03D8618.jpeg

All the speakers were either refinished, refurbished, rebuilt, or built completely from scratch by me in both photos. The Bose 501’s are currently undergoing a complete rebuild. Also rebuilt the tube amp in the top pic.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
[image removed due to acquisition by VerticalScope]
117 stack with the Panasonic-Leica 45 macro. Some room for debate over whether I should've diffused more, I think.

Last edited:

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Sadly, I can't contribute to this forum photographically as I've recently sold all my precious HI-Fi and Vinyl LP collection due to serious deafness.
I owned a Pink Triangle Anniversary turntable, with SME Series V arm and Ortofon cartridge.
The amps were Sugden AU41 pre and power versions, feeding Heybrook Sextet speakers bi-wired via DNM solid core wire.
I don't know if that means anything to anyone on here, but there was over six grands-worth of goodies.

Fortunately, the guys who bought my stuff are all real enthusiasts and I'm just delighted it's gone to good homes.
I sold most of my vinyl to a dealer, who said that most of it would end up in the Czech Republic and Russia.
I have kept a couple of rare albums I'd like to dispose of sometime, one of which recently sold for over £1,800!

As an aside, I can't identify any performers anymore, which really bugs me and all music sounds so tinny.
I've just got some new hearing aids which cost almost £4,000 so I'm hoping to get them set up so I can at least enjoy a bit of music occasionally.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing some great gear on here.
Sorry for the ramble. :boohoo:
ahh, what a story! Well, good that your gear found a good home. I'm always worried about selling precious stuff. Often it feels they don't care so much about it. But sometimes the spirit lives on.
Ears are sensitive units. Mine are damaged but not at all serious. Feel sorry for you but hope you can enjoy music again in the future. All love.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Thanks Danny.
I've just had another look at your set-up and I don't know how I missed it first time around, but........
I just love that Retro power switch on the left of your stack :biggrin:

jeffreybehr

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jeffrey Behr
I've been working on mine for about 60 years, and it's finally close enough that I'm not going any further...but that's easy to say for an audiofool/videot but not easy to do.. Mine's a combination multichannel-audio and movie system.
2020Apr14_AV  system frontwall_4140145_1800w.jpg

The main speakers are Serenity Super-7s driven by the pair of vacuumtubed Atma-Sphere output-transformerless MA-1 poweramps.. The center-channel speaker is a Martin-Logan hybrid with ESL, airmotion-tweeter, and coned lower-frequency sctions which is driven by one 200Watt channel of the Emotiva 11-channel amp that's center-bottom.. That amp also has five stereo modules of 65Watts per channel that drive the surrounds, rear surrounds, and three pairs of height speakers, all ELAC B6s; the front pair is visible in the pic.. The Super-7s are hybrids with B-G Mag.-planar MR and tweeters and self-powered double-12", open-baffle, servo-controlled woofers (NOT subwoofers).. The two Rythmik F18 servo-controlled subwoofers, not visible, flank the couch left and right.. (The Super-7s' woofer systems are also designed by Rythmik.)

The centerstack.
2019Mar26_amp, stand, & speaker_1500w.jpg

The frontend...
2019May21_stand complete_1500w.jpg

...has an Oppo '203 discplayer conected to a premium Marantz '8805 preamp/tuner/processor.. Interconnect cable for the three front channels is premium, silver-conductor stuff by Neotec and AudioQuest; all ICs are balanced.. AC-power to EVERYTHING but the projector is supplied by the 20-Amp PS Audio P-20, and, of course, all powercables are premium quality.

The projector is a psuedo-4K (3840) Epson 5040 which illuminates the Severtson 8-foot-wide (NOT diagonal) PanaVision (2.35)-ratio screen.. This 6-channel-audio/13-channel movie system sounds and looks EXCELLENT, even if I say so myself...and, as I wrote at the beginning, it has taken me about 60 years to assemble it.. I'll be happy to answer specific questions anyone might have.

Last edited:

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
The listening room, which has probably been rearranged half a dozen times since taking this picture (I think I need a bigger house for all this stuff) -

View attachment 814491
And of course the home theater room -
View attachment 814492
All the speakers were either refinished, refurbished, rebuilt, or built completely from scratch by me in both photos. The Bose 501’s are currently undergoing a complete rebuild. Also rebuilt the tube amp in the top pic.
Looks like you have a Bob Carver amp and a big Yamaha power amp(?) in your stack. You have a bunch of interesting looking speakers. I take it the electrostats and Dual subs are your main system speakers.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I've been working on mine for about 60 years, and it's finally close enough that I'm not going any further...but that's easy to say for an audiofool/videot but not easy to do.. Mine's a combination multichannel-audio and movie system.
View attachment 814687
The main speakers are Serenity Super-7s driven by the pair of vacuumtubed Atma-Sphere MA-1 poweramps.. The center-channel is a Martin-Logan hybrid with ESL, airmotion tweeter, and coned lower-frequency sctions which is driven by one 200Watt channel of the Emotiva 11-channel amp that's center-bottom.. That amp also has five stereo modules of 65Watts per channel that drive the surrounds, rear surrounds, and three pairs of height speakers, all ELAC B6s; the front pair is visible in the pic.. The Super-7s are hybrids with B-G Mag.-planar MR and tweeters and self-powered double-12", open-baffle, servo-controlled woofers (NOT subwoofers).. The two Rythmik F18 servo-controlled subwoofers, not visible, flank the couch left and right.. (The Super-7s' woofer systems are also designed by Rythmik.)

The centerstack.
View attachment 814697

The frontend...
View attachment 814694
...has an Oppo '203 discplayer conected to a premium Marantz '8805 preamp/tuner/processor.. Interconnect cable for the three front channels is premium, silver-conductor stuff by Neotec and AudioQuest; all ICs are balanced.. AC-power to EVERYTHING but the projector is supplied by the 20-Amp PS Audio P-20, and, of course, all powercables are premium quality.

The projector is a psuedo-4K (3840) Epson 5040 which illuminates the Severtson 8-foot-wide (NOT diagonal) PanaVision (2.35)-ratio screen.. This 6-channel-audio/13-channel movie system sounds and looks EXCELLENT, even if I say so myself...and, as I wrote at the beginning, it has taken me about 60 years to assemble it.. I'll be happy to answer specific questions anyone might have.
Love the equipment but am jealous of the space you have. I live in the land of incredibly expensive real estate and don't have a couple of extra million $$ to spend on a big condo.

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
Looks like you have a Bob Carver amp and a big Yamaha power amp(?) in your stack. You have a bunch of interesting looking speakers. I take it the electrostats and Dual subs are your main system speakers.
Good eye. That was a Carver amp (sold it a little while back). The big power amp is a Sumo Andromeda II. There’s also a Marantz pm8004 buried in there. Those aren’t actually dual subs, they’re a pair of vintage Bose 501’s that I’m currently restoring. As much as you’d think the Martin Logan electrostats would be my main speakers, I actually find myself listening to the bookshelf ones with the yellow cones the most often; I built those and the smaller floorstanding pair.

jeffreybehr

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jeffrey Behr
Love the equipment but am jealous of the space you have. I live in the land of incredibly expensive real estate and don't have a couple of extra million $$ to spend on a big condo.

Well, we make our choices and spend our money, huh?!?!

The room is 21 feet wide by 19 feet deep; it's 6.5 feet high at the front wall and rises to 12 feet over the listener's head and then falls quickly to 8 feet high at the rear wall.. The near sqaureness of it creates a bass node at about 30Hz; I have two LARGE basstraps which help control that.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Good eye. That was a Carver amp (sold it a little while back). The big power amp is a Sumo Andromeda II. There’s also a Marantz pm8004 buried in there. Those aren’t actually dual subs, they’re a pair of vintage Bose 501’s that I’m currently restoring. As much as you’d think the Martin Logan electrostats would be my main speakers, I actually find myself listening to the bookshelf ones with the yellow cones the most often; I built those and the smaller floorstanding pair.
You could sell the ML electrostats and buy a McIntosh power amp with the proceeds. I recommend the SS amps with autoformers, regardless of power output. My C45 pre and MC252 power amp may not be the ultimate in anything from McIntosh or anyone else but have sonic ease that lets me listen for hours with no listening fatigue.

Latest threads

Top Bottom