Hidden (esoteric) advantages of micro four thirds

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by n3eg, Jun 26, 2013.

1. n3eg

n3eg Mu-43 Regular

A post on another forum brought this to mind: What are some of the less obvious advantages of micro four thirds? I have a few:

Ability to not just shoot through a chain link fence, but in some cases actually put the lens through the fence.

Adapters available for almost every lens made.

Small primes (such as an adapted Pentax Auto 110 24mm f/2.8) able to shoot through binoculars or a telescope eyepiece.
  2. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    On top of the 'adapters for every lens made' comes another fun one:
    Some telescopes, microscopes, spotting scopes, etc. can be easily adapted to camera lens systems. If you don't have the specific lens system they want, you could be screwed, unless you have a micro four-thirds camera!
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Did this just recently. Very handy.
  4. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Are you both sure of this? Try as I might, I had a bitch of a time trying to shoot thru the cross-hairs at a demolition site using 7-14 and 14/140 this weekend. Guess I should have considered using my c-mounts.

5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I was using the 45/1.8 at the time. The larger 14-140mm wouldn't have had a chance.
  6. threebees

threebees Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2013
    You look like you bought that "cute little cheap camera" but don't know how to take photos aka choose camera. So not worth the time to steal you!
    (sorry for my english if it is not understood)
  7. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    DoF at large apertures (for dim light) is NOT too thin. DoF at FF 50/1.4 is way too thin for photos of faces, but m43 25/1.4 isn't.

The general public don't think the RF bodies have the look of a serious cameras, so you can get the m43 camera into places which disallow SLRs.

And something which applies to any ML camera system fi it implements it (Oly and Panny do. Oly even lets you control it):

The camera can auto-focus on the face and the nearer eye. You can't do with phase detect AF because you need to do face detection first, and for that you need the image from the sensor.

The camera can AF on the right face out of a crowd by doing face recognition. My GF1 does this, and although I ignored the feature for years I tried it recently and really like it.
  8. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    Not being a target is a good thing! Especially if you want to bring a long lens. Long Canon lenses are HUGE. Long micro four-thirds lenses are discreet.
  9. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    I would have agreed with this thread two weeks ago, but my recent travel experience proved otherwise. While on a cruise last week I was approached by several crew members who were curious about my G5. They were intrigued by it and I found myself explaining its functions and virtues on several occasions. Many other guests with larger DSLR outfits had their eyes glued on my G5 as well! I actually found that the G5 caused more distractions than my DSLR's ever did! :smile:
  10. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Yes, though this only applies to smaller m43 cameras. For example I was able to put the Gx1 with 20mm lens on the bridge railing and it was able to clear the fence above it just so, with viewfinder taken off. a couple of people nearby with bulky DSLRs had to shoot thru the fence as they looked at me enviously.

11. phidauex

phidauex Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2013
    Boulder, CO
    Agreed on the shooting through the fence item! I found that out accidentally the other night taking this photo with the Rokinon 7.5mm Fisheye (though you can still see a sliver of the fence if you look close). Also playing with art filters (dramatic tone, in this case).

Loader in Boulder by phidauex, on Flickr
  12. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I can digiscope with my 20/1.7 and GF3, and AF works. I haven't tried my 14-42z yet, but it should be fine.
  13. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Ability to not just shoot through a chain link fence, but in some cases actually put the lens through the fence.

I have to do this all the time ... but I get out soon ... :smile:
  14. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    2x crop means lenses with telephoto focal lengths are easy to come by.

wide angle on the other hand...
  15. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    Yeah, but when you leave the zoo you have to pay for food. Luckily there aren't as many people giggling and pointing when you pee.