Hi :)

Daki

New to Mu-43
Long time lurker, first time poster :). I think I found this forum when the e-pl1 first came out and registered to follow along with the new posts. I've been entranced by the size and performance of the micro 4/3 cameras, especially the Olympus models .

My original plan was to buy a new camera next year since I'm still mostly happy with my current camera, a Canon G9 that I bought in '08. At the time I bought that camera I decided to sacrifice a little bit of portability for improved picture quality. I almost bought the Panasonic Lx2 or TZ5, but ended up with the G9 instead.

At the time, I did not anticipate ever taking pictures in low light. However, last year, my husband and I when on a storm chasing tour in the midwest for our 20th anniversary and I took a ton of pictures. Luckily I took them all in raw +jpeg. Unfortunately, I also did not realize I had the in-camera ND filter turned on the entire time so I had a hard time taking pictures in low light (dark storms in the early evening). I got a bunch of decent pictures, although they do suffer from quite a bit of noise. I think the excessive noise and exposure issues were due more to my lack of attention than the camera.

My husband doesn't really like taking pictures, but he likes the fact that I do :). So, we are going on another storm chasing tour this June and he tried to convince me that I needed a new camera and tried to talk me into a dslr. I tried to talk myself into either the Canon T2i or the Pentax K-x, but couldn't. I really wanted to stick with a smaller camera that well... looked really cool and would be fun to use.

I almost held out for the Panasonic G2 because the touch screen focusing is somewhat intriguing. But my first love with :43: was the e-P1. I found one on display at Fry's and fell in love with the feel (no lens though so couldn't really play around with it and didn't want to be bothered with the sales guy). The e-PL1 felt just as nice. The e-P2 was too expensive in comparison with the e-PL1. I I compared costs and features comparing the e-px vs the panasonic offerings vs the dslrs. Debating posting my indecision here. I read almost every single post on this forum (more than a little OCD I guess). I agonized.

In the end, I found a post on dpreview last night about amazon's sale on the e-p2 for $899 with zoom lens and viewfinder. Not sure I needed the viewfinder, but everyone seems to like it, and it was too much to resist. That offer on Amazon went away sometime mid morning today. I tried to buy using the affiliate link here so I hope I was successful.

So I am now a future owner of an e-P2 with the kit zoom lens and viewfinder along with the panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens. I don't aspire to being a great photographer, but I do want to have fun, and hopefully I will make good use of this camera's features.

Sorry for being so long winded, but happy to be here :)

-Barb

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
i love a good photo story , and yours is one indeed , itsd a shame that many camera menus are so criptic and overly feature filled so as to cause the problem with the nd filter

the micro 4/3 world is enchanting ..and your falling in love with those wonderfully built Olympus bodies esp the ep1, many here will empathize with your first reaction..... , so let me be the first to say it, you are going to be hooked for life, you may even become a fast manual lens addict as so many here have , lol

enjoy that wonderful machine you bought , id love to have the ep2 w evf
but at this point i will have to be content with the gf1 and ep1

no post is too long winded , i come here to read for enjoyment and hopefully pick up some tidbits of wisdom along the way , feel free to ask questions and post your musings
i look forward to it , and some pictures too

cheers from nyc

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Hi Barb, congratulations! Hope your new E-P2 arrives safely and welcome to the home of m4/3rds. :friends:

Cheers

Brian

Christilou

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hello Barb, thanks for posting your story. I have the EP2 and I'm very pleased with it. I think you'll have fun with yours :) I think the smaller cameras just seem to fit our hands better. I had a Nikon D80 and I could hardly hold it properly, it spoiled the whole experience for me as I never felt "in charge" of it. There's a lot to be said for holding a camera before you buy!

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Barb, thanks so much for your story. I really think most of us enjoy reading about people's tales of how they came to the mu43 format, as well as to this site. Storm chasing - wow, "Twister" revisited?:biggrin:

Can't wait until you start taking photos with your E-P2 and you must promise to post the story of the storm chase along with the photos, too.:thumbup:

pcake

Mu-43 Veteran
great story, and storm chasing sounds really exciting. do you have to use a zoom for storms, or can you use the 20mm and get the low light ability advantage?

Daki

New to Mu-43
Thanks for the welcome :)

My camera won't ship until May 12, so waiting right now ....

pcake, last year I pretty much took all of my pictures at the widest angle possible for my G9 (equiv to 35mm). It would have been nice to have a wider angle, especially when we found the tornado (it was a very polite one and it stayed in an empty field the whole time). The storms we saw last year were too immense to use a zoom and get the full impact. Last year we went in early-mid May and the storms tended to pop up around 7pm and sunset. This year we are going in mid June so we will hopefully be further north and it will definitely stay light later. I'm hoping that between the kit lens and the 20mm, I'll be fine. Hopefully there will be some pretty storms :).

I played around in lightroom last year trying to get my pictures to look dramatic, so I overdid some of the settings. Anyway, here is one from my Canon G9 without too much modification.
857657960_bXCuk-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom