Hi Res Shot (Question)

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
I shot this paper wasp with my old Leica Macro-Elmar-R 100 4 (bellows) lens. I thought I would try out Hi Res with it.

49744774677_d460a0c6af_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Paper Wasp

Please click through to Flickr and enlarge. There you can see a weird mosaic on the wasp. What is this? Is there something I did wrong? I imported through LR.

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
4B078A02-37E3-44E5-80C8-A4DAF891171A.jpeg

I see this odd waffle weave at high mag on the 6k image. I assume this is what you are talking about. Very odd. Unfortunately, I can’t offer any suggestions on its cause. Maybe someone else can help if they see this magnified view.

two things I noticed:
  • it’s at a slight angle to the image orientation.
  • it’s only in the shadowed/darker areas.

Last edited:

c12402

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Juan Guerrero
I don't see anything strange, apart that the focal plane is very narrow and then the focus is not perfect in all the insect. Where in the image do you see the mosaic?

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
I don't see anything wrong with it, but I have been under the impression that hi-res mode was only to be used for objects that don't move AT ALL. So perhaps any funky artifacts you are seeing is caused by movement of the subject interacting poorly with the camera's hi-res mode processing?

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
View attachment 812773

I see this odd waffle weave at high mag on the 6k image. I assume this is what you are talking about. Very odd. Unfortunately, I can’t offer any suggestions on its cause. Maybe someone else can help if they see this magnified view.

two things I noticed:
  • it’s at a slight angle to the image orientation.
  • it’s only in the shadowed/darker areas.
Yes. That is exactly what I am referring to. Where is that coming from? It seems like a processing issue.

Matt Drown

Mu-43 Veteran
do you have the ORF, or just the camera JPG? And I assume the pattern is there on the original?

My first guess is you are seeing some of how the stitching works, but I loaded up an older hires shot I did on an em1.2 and had no pattern in the dark landscape areas.

BTW, you have a hot-green pixel, to the left of the "knee" on the lower leg.

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
It appears that it is an issue with the image in the OP. Something about the lighting and Hi Res created the artifacts. I have this image that was made just a few moments later. The lighting is slightly different and the ISO is boosted to 160. It looks like there is a bit of camera movement and the antenna was moving during the shot. However, it does not have the weird mosaic pattern.

49747048701_b128758b3e_o.jpg

I might try to shot this girl again tonight using the Oly 60 and see if I get similar results.

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
I actually think I may know what happened in the original image. I was using a hand held LED light. When using Hi Res Shot it can take a few seconds to complete all the necessary shots. I think that I moved the light off of the wasp during this time. So the process of combining the images had to deal with missing/moving light on some of the frames. The mosaic is what was produced.

This actually gives me an idea about doing this deliberately to see what I could get. Hmmmm....

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
Good thinking - that definitely sounds like it could cause the problem. And even better for experimenting!! You could make your camera have a nervous breakdown really easily! ;)

Latest threads

Top Bottom