1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hi...long-time SLR user, and soon to be m4/3 user checking in...

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by jgmankos, Apr 9, 2012.

1. jgmankos

jgmankos Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2012
    Slatington, PA
    John
    Hi all...

Just registering and saying 'Hi'...I've been lurking the site for about a week now as I've been considering jumping into a Mirrorless ILC system and have been beating my head against the wall trying to decide which system to jump on (Nex, Nikon 1 and m4/3, Oh my!)

I've been shooting DSLR's since the Canon D30 and have owned just about every brand over the past 12 years (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus 4/3)...no I'm not one of "those guys" who think a different camera is going to make me a better photographer (although it does help if the camera doesn't get in the way!)...I just really, really have a fetish with camera gear and I like to try different things.

Most recently I was in a Pentax K5 kit with all the fixin's. I recently sold all of my Pentax gear off (oh...am I going to miss those limited's!) to fund some new adventures (camping gear, motorcycle, etc...your typical mid-life crisis stuff :) ) but now aside from a little Canon P&S I am finding myself without a camera system. The compact mirrorless ILC's are attractive due to size and I'm just wanting a more lightweight kit to worry about carrying around.

Anyway...I found this site via a google search and I've found alot of helpful information here in these forums already. I basically started off looking at the E-PL1 (due to the $199 kit at Cameta) and also the Sony NEX-3 since they can be found very cheaply. I was at Best Buy checking out the different offerings and found myself fondling the Nikon J1 and the speed itself was almost enough to suck me in...that thing is as fast as alot of DSLR's I've used and that's no exaggeration. In the end...however the newness of the system and the lack of lenses is a big turn-off....and the IQ compared to the 4/3's cameras isn't quite up to snuff, IMHO.

Even though the IQ of the Sony sensors does seem a bit better than the m4/3 cameras at High ISO's (I use ISO 1600 a LOT)...in the end I think due to the most lenses available....I think I'm going to jump in with micro-4/3 and even though the E-PL1 is the first one I looked at, I *think* I'm going to jump on the E-PM1 kit. My goal here with m4/3 is to go as compact as possible...so I narrowed my choices down to the GF3 and the E-PM1....and I like the fact that the E-PM1 has the hotshoe ad accessory port so in the end..I think that wins the day. I just need to decide on one or two more things before I place my order.

Sorry for rambling....looking forward to interacting with everyone here as I build and learn to use my new system. I'm sure I'll see some names I recognize...I've already seen one or two from Pentax Forums that are familiar. Right now I need to head over to the lens forum and see if I can find some advice on my first lens choice dilemma :)

2. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I switched from a 5DMKII system to the Pen Mini and have been very happy. Check out my blog for more info. I'm documenting the transition. blog.giuliosciorio.com

The difference between the 4/3 cameras and the Sony is marketing. Sony sells on more megapixels but in reality the good Olympus and Panasonic lenses are better then the best NEX lenses and there are more of them as well.

Also dont forget the amazing Cosina lenses for 4/3 which are amont the brightest lenses made.

• Like Like x 1
  3. helveticus

helveticus New to Mu-43

Feb 21, 2012
    Hi jgmankos,

I'm a lurker too and have yet to decide which system to go with. Even knowing that I can't go wrong, really, it's still kinda tough choosing. And with the new Sigma 19 and 30, plus the 50 F/1.8 for Sony, I'm leaning towards the Nex 5n. But the E-PL3 also looks very interesting. Decisions, decisions...

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Hello and welcome!

5. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    The NEX system is not bad but I feel the m4/3 system is more evolved. The lenses with the m4/3 system is on a different level then that of the NEX. Yes the next chips are more advanced but that difference is not that great.

Also few lenses currently made by anyone have the sharpness per $ as does the Olympus 45 1.8.

6. bedojo

bedojo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2011
    Oregon
    switched from a 5dII and L lenses to gf2 (em5) with 12 ad 45mm primes, will be picking up a 25mm soon :)
    I LOVE IT!
    Check my flickr have some photos from the gf2, it very powerful system

you may want to look into a ep-3, em-5, gx1 for the more pro controls.

7. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    Agree with Olympus 45 mm 1.8 I have it paired with Panasonic Lumix GH -2.
    Also have Panasonic 20mm 1.7. They just kill the kit lens. Kit lens is not so bad though. I am downsizing from Eos 5D Mk II,for light travel. The GH-2 is just amazing but there are a few things to be aware of. It takes longer to fire. It doesn't do as well in low light and the screen on back is not a fine as Eos,so manual focus is not as good.Tradeoffs ,tradeoffs. I wish the would come up with some longer micro four thirds primes., like 100mm. I swear I got some good bird pictures with the 45mm but oh for a longer reach. Am using an adapted Olympus 50/200 and have gotten some super good shots with it even hand held. Looking for something smaller.