1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hi, I'm new.

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by 1984, May 23, 2013.

1. 1984

1984 Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2013
    Hi, I'm new here and to micro four thirds gear. I haven't purchased a camera yet, but I've been a DSLR user for several years. I recently sold off all of my Sony gear in preparation to switching to a lighter system.

I am really interested in the OM-D - IBIS, EVF, and the style of the camera are all major points for me. I did check out the Sony NEX, but lack of IBIS, the left sided EVF on the higher end models, and the more modern design are pretty much deal-breakers for me.

I do have a question, though. I have a very clean copy of an Oreston 50 1.8 Meyer-Optik Gorlitz lens that I would love to be able to use with whatever new camera I purchase. Is there a recommended available adapter that would allow me to do so? Adapters are one area that I am very unfamiliar with, as I have never used an adapted lens. I also have an impeccably clean copy of a 28 2.8 lens that I would also like to adapt (same mount).

I look forward to participating more here, especially once I have purchased my new camera.

2. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
  3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I haven't said "Welcome 1984" since December 31, 1983.

:biggrin:

But I say it now - welcome to the forum!

Regards,

Jim

4. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Prairies
    jef
    Welcome to the forum 1984!

Being also new to m4/3, the forum is very useful in gaining knowledge about m4/3 system.

Enjoy!

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome aboard! :smile:

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't recall having ever said anything so lame in the past, so this will be the first time for me. ;)

Welcome, 1984!

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Well I can't take too much credit at being first, I'm sure George Orwell said it when the first royalty check rolled in...

:biggrin:

Regards,

Jim

8. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    E-M5 is a great choice, I have one -- though if Panasonic comes up with a credible IBIS model I might jump. I like the Panasonics better for some reason. I have a G5 and a GX1 and a little LX7 from Panasonic.

Welcome and good luck with your choice! There are a number of great cameras out there to choose from in micro four thirds, depending on exactly what you need.

9. 1984

1984 Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2013
    Thanks for the welcomes! And for the links!

George Orwell is one of my favorite authors, thus the username. :biggrin:

I really like the E-P5 and if I did not need a camera so soon, it would definitely be on my list. The Panasonics are nice, too, but I really like the retro style, especially since the retro look matches my Fujica half-frame camera.