1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hi, I'm a Canon-convert.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by CanonConvert, Nov 22, 2012.

1. CanonConvert

CanonConvert Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2012
    As above, I'm a semi-pro photographer, using 5d2 with a full suite of lenses from UWA to telephotos and primes.

With the recent release of E-PL5 and E-M5, I'm convinced that I won't be missing out much if I make the jump. However, there are a few things I want to clarify before making the switch. Hope you guys can help me out!

1a. How many stops of stabilization difference is there between the 5-axis and 2-axis found on both cams? I know it depends on how you 'shake' the camera, but in general usage, how much do you actually benefit from the 5-axis on E-M5?

e.g. ability to handhold 1/8s on 90mm equivalent vs 1/25s?

1b. I don't really fancy using the EVF on small cams (despite the fact that i'm so accustomed to peaking through the VF on my dslr), so other than that.. what other factor can justify me to get the E-M5 over the e-pl5?

2. how does spot metering work on both cameras? Basically, I want to know if I can set it such that the metering is based on the small AF area that I touched. If this can be done, then i can do away with AE lock / shoot-and-recompose!

3. what is the widest and largest-aperture AF prime i can get on those cameras? the widest i saw was 7.5mm f3.5 Samyang iirc, but it's sadly manual.

4. Since m4/3 cams use electronic shutters, does it mean that shutter count isn't as important as compared to DSLRs anymore? I understand that the other components might wear out over time, but it should be more durable given all others constant?

the only thing that's stopping me from getting it now is that the lens market for m4/3 is not mature yet. things like the workhorse 12-35 and 35-100 just came out not long ago.. and it costs a bomb! (p.s. i usually get 2nd hand, 3rd party substitutes for a fraction of the price).

is there anything else i'll miss out by jumping over? i've done my research, but i just want to seek a 2nd opinion.

Cheers! :)

2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    1a. 1/8 s is going to be tough at 90 mm equivalent. 1/25 is doable, hold steady. Most people say the 5-axis IBIS is about 4-stops. The added bonus of having 3 more axis stabilized is nice.

1b. Besides EVF and 5-axis IBIS the E-M5 is also weather sealed, has an extra dial for controls. That's about it I think? I would probably be happy with a E-PL5 if I was buying today.

2. Spot metering works pretty much like a DSLR.

3. Widest and largest AF prime is the Olympus 12mm f/2. Widest AF zoom is the Panasonic 7-14mm f/4.

4. My E-M5 has a mechanical focal plane shutter. But it's really fast.

Lenses from 3rd parties will come in time. We're hoping to see fast telephoto zooms from Olympus come next year but it's all rumours and speculations.

You miss out, or gain depending how you view it, 2-stops of depth of field at the same aperture, as well as good continuous auto focus.

3. CanonConvert

Nov 22, 2012

1a) actually i just want to know how much of a difference there is..

1b) noted!

2) don't get this point. spot metering in the 5dii is always only in the centre, whereas for 5diii, the metering is attached to whichever AF point you have selected. so is it the former or the latter?

3) was looking forward to a fast UWA zoom/prime :(

4) i didn't know that.. always thought it was electronic.

i actually prefer increased DOF, makes life easier for me. As for continuous AF, i'd say the 5dii really sucks at it - it is totally crippled in low light and gets bad at subject tracking for sure.

thanks for the info!

4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Hope this helps!

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    All m43 cameras have mechanical shutters. The Panasonic G5 has the option of using electronic shutter also.

6. TDP

TDP Guest

An EM5 is better than a PL5. More manual controls, weather sealed, 5 axis is better than two axis.

A 5D2 is better than them both. Larger sensor, built for heavy duty use, many more lenses to choose from.

They are all priced, sized and weighted in order: 5D2, EM5, PL5.

While there are plenty of good lenses for mu43, if you want a UWA prime that autofocuses you are out of luck. Of course for your Canon a UWA prime is the 14mm Canon or 15mm Zeiss. Both special lenses with a heavy price tag. Mu43 has thus far focused on small, less expensive lenses that suit a broader audience with a few recent exceptions.

Bottom line, a 2500-3500 dollar body with a 2500-3500 lens is going to out perform a body/lens at half to one third the price from a technical perspective. And you know what? It should.

7. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    So there is basically no spot metering in 5DII? Because if it is only spot metering in the centre, isn't that basically centre weighted metering?

E-M5 is fairly flexible with AEL.

Read: AEL Metering Mode | The E-M5 Resource Blog

Works with any AF box.

I think this actually work similarly in PEN bodies as well.

Yeah there isn't any UWA faster than f/4. I find f/4 plenty in most situations. High ISO is not bad on these sensors.

I would probably still rather have 5DII's continuous AF tracking than the E-M5.

You're welcome.

8. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Spot metering in the Olympus m4/3 cameras work the same way as the 5DII, that is the spot is only in the center, where you will see a tiny circle when you switch to spot metering. Center-weighted metering is different. It gives the lighting condition in the center spot greater consideration, but it also takes into consideration lighting condition outside the center spot, hence the term "Center-weighted". Unfortunately, in spot metering mode, the spot will remain in the center even if your focal point is moved elsewhere...

9. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada

45mm f/1.8 @ ISO 250, 1/5 s

So I guess 90mm equivalent is hand holdable up to 1/5 s.

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    GRA20087-L.

OM-D w/ O45mm (90mm FOV in FF), 1/6, f/2.8, 1600

I am very impressed with the OM-D IBIS. It works. CAF does not work and even if the CAF did work, the EVF refresh rate doesn't keep up with the FPS (4FP) making framing nearly impossible.

The SAF is extremely fast, so for action you can shoot in SAF and continuously pump the focus button as a work around. You gotta work harder and your keeper rate is severely diminished, but you'll get by.

1) The OM-D is weather sealed.
    2) The OM-D has a built-in EVF.
    3) The OM-D is a quicker handling camera (more buttons and dials).
    4) The OM-D has a vertical grip (increases battery life and easier vertical format).
    5) Better IBIS.
    6) Better Build (more metal less plastic).

Gary

11. CanonConvert

Nov 22, 2012
    Hi guys,

I'm really thankful for coming to the right forum - you guys are giving really useful responses for my consideration!

few things to note here :

1. i have used the EVF on my GH2 before, but it's downright ugly and i don't see why people would need to use it as compared to the touch-and-shoot directly on the screen. i've heard comments saying in bright daylight, they can't really see the screen, that's why the EVF is needed. is that really the only reason? if yes, i can safely say it's useless, to me at least.

2. even if i were to get the e-m5, i will pass the grip. i want it to be compact, so that i can carry it with me everywhere i go. and for the purpose of (1), i don't see the need of a vertical grip to activate the shutter. (ergonomics aside, of course)

3. not sure how many people here own the 5d2, but one doesn't get many keepers using its AF servo mode, thanks to its non-cross type sensors which are not as reliable/accurate as the ones found on the 5d3 (which costs a bomb..haha)

hkpzee : yes, that was the answer i was looking for. is there any m4/3 cam out there that would do what i want it to? i.e. tag metering along with the AF point.

TDP : i've been looking at a lot of e-pl5 reviews nowadays, and its IQ has become exceedingly close to my 5d2 standards. that's why i'm considering to make the switch.

so far, i think the lack of lens variety is the only main factor that's stopping me from getting it.

keep the responses coming; we might have missed some points!

thanks guys!

12. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've just been away on holidays with my OMD for 6 weeks and I'm really happy with it- so happy in fact I spoke that out aloud while going through my pictures. I normally like longer focal length lenses but interestingly enough the most used lens was the 7-14.

@7mm

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/8144382063/" title="Before the Storm NY by iconindustries, on Flickr"> 8144382063_d592dd81cf_b. "1024" height="576" alt="Before the Storm NY"></a>

13. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I don't believe there is any current m4/3 camera out there that could tag spot metering along with the AF point. I do wish there is though. Seem to make more sense, and technically shouldn't be too difficult to achieve.

14. Rex914

Rex914 New to Mu-43

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm curious about this point too. If the OM-D delivers 4 stops, then what does 2-axis give? Are we looking at 2 stops, maybe 3 stops?

15. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    :smile:

16. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Today (only), the e-pl5 and e-pm2 are discounted $100 :)

17. CanonConvert

Nov 22, 2012
    hello, where did you see that?! please share the link with us! :bravo-009:

18. CanonConvert

Nov 22, 2012
    nick : actually i beg to differ regarding EVFs. touch-and-shoot gives me more versatility in terms of framing. As the gh2 screen is fully tiltable, i can shoot comfortably at waist level, without even looking suspicious to passer-bys (if i'm doing street pg). i don't use MF lenses, so that's a moot point for me :)

i have a full suite of lenses, but in general the critical ones are :
    100mm 2.8 macro (mainly for food, sometimes for portraits)
    17-35 2.8-4 UWA
    28-75 general zoom
    135mm f2L (my most favorite portrait lens, but also least used because it's not as versatile as my zooms)
    70-200 telephoto (least used, because it's way too bulky to carry on a daily basis!)

19. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Check amazon, datavision is selling epl5 for $599 (w/ 14-42mm) and e-pm2 for $499 (also w kit lens). And bodies for $50 less.

At getolympus.com they also offer this but they may charge tax. But, they also offer the 40-150mm lens for $200 off msrp (just $99) if purchased with a pen or omd, so it may be a better deal if you need zoom lens. weight your options and take your pick :)

20. CanonConvert

Nov 22, 2012
    i just took the LAST piece for usd549 on amazon! omg! hope it's not an impulse buy!

thanks for the tip off!!!