1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hi from Tokyo, Japan

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Mamoru Yasuda, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Mamoru Yasuda

Mamoru Yasuda New to Mu-43

Dec 2, 2011
    Tokyo, Japan
    Hi all,

My name is Mamoru, a Japanese amateur photographer who currently lives in Tokyo.
    I ha been using M43 cams (PENs) for almost two years, but never knew about this great site until recently.
    After reading all the threads with very useful information regarding the format, I decided to jump in and join the fun!

I use E-P3, with some M43 glasses and shoot street photos, as well as some family portraits.

Nice to be able to finally join this great place and talk to you great members.
    Eager to learn so much from you guys! :smile:

-Mamoru

• Like Like x 7
  2. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Welcome to the forum :bravo-009:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mamoru Yasuda

Dec 2, 2011
    Tokyo, Japan
    Thanks so much, hanzo! :))

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Welcome to forum, looking forward to your contribution! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    welcome, I live a few hours north near Hachinohe. I love the forums here, though I'm more of a lurker than a active participant.

• Like Like x 1
  6. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

Mamoru, the photos on your flicker are superb. Thanks for joining mu.43.com!

• Like Like x 1
  7. PetitP

PetitP Mu-43 Regular

Very inspiring Flickr set of photos :). It makes me want to go out and shoot.

• Like Like x 1
  8. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Hi Mamoru, I too enjoyed viewing your Flickr :2thumbs:. Welcome!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mamoru Yasuda

Dec 2, 2011
    Tokyo, Japan
    Thank you all so much for warm welcomes! :smile:
    I thought this forum was great outside looking in, and I guess I was not wrong! :thumbup:

11. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the user group, Mamoru! Look forward to seeing your E-P3 images.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Welcome Mamoru! I enjoyed your flickr images a lot, but those of your daughters really stood out. (Maybe because I have 2 daughters, too?) I hope that once they're grown up, they'll see your images as your (continuous) love letter to them. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  13. kicsrepins

kicsrepins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Your English is excellent :thumbup:

See you in Tokyo in 2 weeks! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mamoru Yasuda

Dec 2, 2011
    Tokyo, Japan
    Drop me an email if you need any help while you are here. It is somewhere in my profile page! :))

• Like Like x 1
  15. kicsrepins

kicsrepins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
  16. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Welcome to the forum. I was just visiting Tokyo last month!

どうぞよろしく。

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mamoru Yasuda

Dec 2, 2011
    Tokyo, Japan
    Mike,

This is a famous site that has the ranks of good deals for certain items in all genre, I mean from TV, camera, games, whatever...
    Unfortunately, they do not have the English version, but you get the idea of how the prices for Oly 45mm f1.8 are now in Japan. (Mostly, online stores, not the real stores)

‰¿Ši.com - ƒIƒŠƒ“ƒpƒX M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm F1.8 [ƒVƒ‹ƒo[] ‰¿Ši”äŠr

As you can see, the Amazon JP has the cheapest price for the lens now.
    So, yes, I think this is the best deal you have right now.

If you are looking for a good "real" store in Japan, then, I recommend MAP CAMERA which is located in Shinjuku.

OLYMPUS

They sell the same lens for 25,200 JPY new, and they usually have some mint used ones. (with the price around 23,800 JPY, but they are out of the used ones right now. The 45mm is very popular, they come and go quickly, you know)

So, if you can manage to somehow use Amazon Japan service, then you have the best deal at the moment with them, but if you prefer to deal with the "real" store, then I would recommend the MAP CAMERA. You do not want to go to one of those "mega-stores" like Bic Camera, or Yodobashi Camera, as they have this point system with the membership, and they usually do not do the discounts. (They will give you the credits instead, but for non-Japanese, it does not mean anything)

MAP CAMERA (tel: 81-3-3342-3382)

Google ƒ}ƒbƒv - ’n}ŒŸõ

When you get to Japan, and if you need more help, then mail me at
    mamoy1129@gmail.com

Have a good one! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  18. kicsrepins

kicsrepins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Do you have any recommendations on where I could visit? I will be in Japan for 3 weeks.

Arigato :thumbup:

19. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    WELCOME!..

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mamoru Yasuda

Dec 2, 2011
    Tokyo, Japan
    I would suggest these places.

Kamakura ~ About 90 munites trip from Shinjuku by train. Old temples, beautiful gardens, beach nearby, and you can actually visit these places by the wonderful tram. Kamakura Travel Guide

Ueno ~ Downtown Tokyo. Old market place called "Ameyoko", where you see lots of action and interesting scenes. Unbelievably busy at this time of year, but fun. A huge park with great pond, a zoo nearby. Ueno travel guide - Wikitravel

Tokyo Midtown, Roppongi Hills etc ~ Not much of a fun just visiting the place, but some of these places have very nice illumination, which is fun to shoot. Holiday Lights in Tokyo

Yokohama ~ Bay area with Chinese town, some classic buildings, nice restaurants etc. About an hour trip from Shinjuku. Yokohama travel guide - Wikitravel

Asakusa ~ Another nice downtown Tokyo spot with lots of traditional buildings, temples, alleys. Great place for street shooting if you are interested in it. Probably a bit too tourist-oriented, but still a nice place to visit at least once in your trip. Tokyo Travel: Asakusa

Kabukicho, Shinjuku ~ You should be little careful if you go there late at night, and you should really be careful who you shoot (could be a yakuza, you know..), but one of the most exciting places in Tokyo to shoot street. Lots of nightclubs, bars, small pubs... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabukichō,_Tokyo

Harajuku~Shibuya ~ Take****a-dori is one of the most famous street in Tokyo filled with schoolgirls with weird outfits, makeups. It is a tiny street packed with young girls, and if you visit there on holidays/weekends, it is an experience you will never have in any other places on the planet. You can walk from there to Shibuya, another town famous for teenage pop culture. Tokyo Travel: Harajuku
    Shibuya travel guide - Wikitravel

If you have a couple of days free, I strongly recommend you take the bullet train and visit places like Kyoto, Osaka. But then again, your GF should knows all these, being a Japanese!
    Kyoto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Osaka travel guide - Wikitravel

All these above will probably take 6,7 days off your schedule, depending on how many days you spend in Kyoto/Osaka. It would be a great idea if you spend 3~4 days in Kyoto/Osaka, as these (specially Kyoto) are worth spending that much time. (You being a photographer, it will be so nice to shoot some historical places there)

When you get bored with these, then you let me know again! :thumbup: