Hi from the UK

pitkin

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi everyone!
Long time lurker, but thought it's time to introduce myself as I'm getting more confident with my camera skills. My main photography interests are wildlife, motorsport and planes.

I moved from several bridge cameras to a Canon 50D coupled with a Sigma 150-500 back in 2012. I used this combo for a couple of years but started finding it too heavy to lug around. I also found I was struggling with front and back focus issues.

I sold my gear in 2016 and bought a Panny FZ1000, which I was really happy with, but after a few months I longed for more reach once more. I traded in the FZ1000 for a Nikon D7100 regretted it within a few days. Luckily the camera shop (London Camera Exchange) were very understanding and allowed me to trade back.

I still longed for that extra reach though. I started looking elsewhere. Eventually I settled on the m43 format, something I sneered at a few years earlier.

I bought a Panasonic G80 with the 14-140 II and the Leica 100-400, a combination I am very happy with. (Although the G9 does tempt me, but maybe in a few years) I've kept the FZ1000 as a backup for when I'm walking around with the 100-400 fitted to the G80 to save the lens changing hassle.

I've watched this site over the last few months and seen some fantastic photos and some great knowledge being shared. That, and the friendly tone has shown me this looks like a great community to be a part of. Hopefully I'll be as wise and talented as some of you one day and will be able to give something back.

Pitkin

KeithT

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Keith Temlett
A very warm welcome from me too @pitkin
Great forum, good guys always willing to assist and help.
Hope you learn a lot from some very talented photographers.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Welcome to the forum @pitkin . Looking forward to seeing your motorsport images, there are a few of us here who enjoy shooting it.

One option to think about may be trading/selling the FZ1000 and picking up a secondary m43 body to mount the 14-140 II on. That way you have both lenses mounted and ready to go, and you can just grab whichever camera you wish.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
Hi everyone!
Long time lurker, but thought it's time to introduce myself as I'm getting more confident with my camera skills. My main photography interests are wildlife, motorsport and planes.
<snip>
Pitkin

Welcome to the forum. Motorsports & planes probably make up the large proportion of my shots - even if I only shoot them for less than 10 days a year! As yet due to lenses available my DSLR tends to be the main choice for both these subjects.
MFT is the system of choice for the race meetings I'm working at (this year half the BTCC & the first TCR UK) but there not enough time to get good racing shots at those.

ionian

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Simon
Hello from Kent - I didn't realise so many familiar names from the forum were also in the UK.

pitkin

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks all for the welcome :)

Welcome. Where about in the UK are you?

Hi, I'm from near Portsmouth.

Welcome to the forum @pitkin . Looking forward to seeing your motorsport images, there are a few of us here who enjoy shooting it.

One option to think about may be trading/selling the FZ1000 and picking up a secondary m43 body to mount the 14-140 II on. That way you have both lenses mounted and ready to go, and you can just grab whichever camera you wish.

I've yet to shoot any Motorsport images with the G80, I'm hoping to get to Thruxton for the 50th anniversary in June for my first go.

It could be a good idea trading the FZ1000. The 100-400 pretty much lives on the G80, when I need a shorter focal length I usually grab the FZ1000 rather than swap lenses. I'm so lazy...

Latest threads

Top Bottom