1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hi from the new girl (new to digital photography & micro 4/3)

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by digital_grrl79, Jun 27, 2011.

1. digital_grrl79

digital_grrl79 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 27, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Hi everyone! I'm somewhat new to digital photography but I'm learning very quickly with my GF1 and books from David Busch on the camera and digital photography topics.

I have already accumulated quite a few lenses in addition to the 2 Nikon lenses my dad passed down to me (he bought them before I was born).

I'm really glad I found this forum and I hope to be an active member :D

• Like Like x 8
  2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Welcome to the forum

Hi digital_grrl79,

Welcome to the forum. Nice place to hang out, friendly people, talented photographers..

We look forward to seeing some of your work real soon, and really do hope you become an active member..

Your Dad had good taste in glass...

Cheers from New England, Alan

3. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Welcome!

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Welcome from Boston! It's a good and overall friendly group here, so post away -- questions, samples, opinions, what have you. Glad you could join!

5. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    Welcome from San Francisco! I also look forward to seeing your pictures here. There are lots of knowledgeable people hanging out here. :)

--Warren

6. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey
    Welcome, great to meet you!

7. bubbaj

bubbaj Mu-43 Rookie

May 24, 2011
    hey, welcome! I am in the same boat as you. Just started getting into photography. I also just recently bought the gf1 and the 20mm 1.7 Panasonic lens. Its a heck of a combo. If you haven't already heard of it, i recommend the book: Understanding Exposure, How to shoot great photographs with any camera, 3rd edition by Bryan Peterson. One of my favorite photog books so far.

8. dabbler

dabbler Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2011
    Welcome! I hope you enjoy it here!

'Understanding Exposure' is a very helpful book that explains the technical side of photography very clearly. The two books I've found most helpful for the compositional side of photography are Michael Freeman's 'The Photographer's Eye' and Ian Roberts' 'Mastering Composition'. The latter is actually about painting, but it's very good on methods to unify all the various elements of a picture into one coherent whole, and how the intensity of light or colour of even small parts of the picture affects the way the eye travels around the picture, and thus the success or failure of that unifying structure. At the very least it should further improve your appreciation of pictures in general, and hopefully that understanding will improve your compositional and post-processing skills in photography!

9. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    WELCOME!!!

10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Welcome from Bellingham,WA...this is a terrific forum. Very supportive.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Welcome! I'm sure you will enjoy your GF1 and Nikon lenses!

12. MegaPixelTravel

MegaPixelTravel Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    Welcome to the forum, M43 is a good way to start photography. Above the P&S but less expensive then pro DSLRs.

13. digital_grrl79

digital_grrl79 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 27, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks everyone :] I am reading David Busch's book on the GF1 and am learning a lot and really enjoying it. I bought some Pentax 110 lenses and am hoping to get an adapter soon. Does anyone know why this particular adapter is so expensive on ebay compared to others? Is it newer and if I wait longer the price is likely to come down?

I also have the 20mm 1.7 in addition to some vintage Nikon lenses. I picked up a few lenses at thrift stores but they're not so great (I bought them before I read David Busch's book on lenses and knew what to look for). I also have picked up a bunch of different camera bags trying to figure out what I need. I finally broke down today and bought a backpack style one that I can put other items in like my nook and other things I carry to work on my bike.

I took a few shots of my friend's dogs this weekend: Sybil & Ruby - a set on Flickr

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Welcome from Virginia! I doubt the 110 adapter will get much cheaper. It's not in high demand. OTOH, I recommend KEH.com for old lenses. You can get old Pentax lenses for a song there.