Hi from the Land of the Concrete Cows

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Huey Slick, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Huey Slick

Huey Slick New to Mu-43

Mar 31, 2011
    Hi everyone!

I live in Milton Keynes, Land of the Concrete Cows ( http://mkcows.com/information+history+of+the+real+milton+keynes+concrete+cows.shtml ).

I'm not an owner of a M4/3 camera yet but, all being well, I will be getting one with a little of my redundancy pay.

I want to get into street photography or just photography on the street, so will be looking for a camera, EVF and pancake lens.

At the moment I have a Pentax K200D and a Canon G12, although the G12 is used more and more each day whilst the K200D is gathering dust in the corner.

I'm looking forward to learning about M4/3s and, eventually, posting some of my pics.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Hey Huey.
    Get yersel' a second-hand G1 for under £150.
    It comes with a superb EVF.
    Lenses : The G1's kit lens is excellent but has yer normal kit-zoom apertures.
    A ten quid adapter from HongKong lets you stick your old pentax primes and manually focus : a brilliant combination.

After all that you'll know what you want next ...
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Huey and thank you for that link to the concrete cows - I'd never have known!:biggrin:

Please make yourself at home, and if you narrow it down to one or two cameras..and need to compare - post a thread in the This or That forum.

Many thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself, Huey.:thumbup:
  4. Huey Slick

Huey Slick New to Mu-43

Mar 31, 2011
    Ulfric - I did think of the G1 but, to be honest, I want something that is on the smaller size; something that I slip into my jacket pocket (although it is largeis pocket) and the Olys and Pannys fit that bill.

The Concrete Cows have been vandalized, stolen and even had (thanks to the Bedfordshire Young Farmers) an extra cow (model) added to the herd!
    The original ones have been removed and now reside at Midsummer Place Shopping Centre whilst replicas have been moooooved (sorry, could resist that) to the old site.

We're also famous for our grid system of roads (copied from the USA) and the plethora of roundabouts that dot our town; the council have called 'us' a city but we're not really.:cool:

One of the Flickr groups I belong to can be found here ( Flickr: MKF (Milton Keynes flickrites) ) and that will give you an insight into what the place looks like; I live in Wolverton which is really old part of the place. :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Huey, many thanks for that Flickr link - and please consider adding your own Flickr link to your signature line. You can do this via your User Control Panel. I just took a quick look at some of your photographs and fell for a wonderful black and white image here: R101 Grave | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Looking forward to seeing what you end up with on the small is beautiful size of cameras.:wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Welcome, and happy shopping. I found the G1 to be a great two-pocket cam or great for the large-ish ones. With my 17mm mZuiko it fits in even more pockets! Its flip screen is invaluable for discreet shooting. It rains in western Oregon enough that my k200d still gets its share of use, but the G1 and now GH1 get more of the camera time now.

Amazing - we had some cows for a while!
    Portland's cows
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Huey Slick

Huey Slick New to Mu-43

Mar 31, 2011
    BBW - Thanks for the comment about my picture of the R101 mass grave. I used to live in Cople, which is the next village to Cardington where the R101 flew from and the mass grave is situated, but I hardly ever went into the graveyard; since I've left I've been there a few times.
    I will also add a link to my Flickr page, I forgot to do it before so thanks for the heads-up.

Jim - Funnily we had a number of those type of cows placed in the main shopping centre (now called centre:mk) a few years back. I never even took a photo of them!!!
  8. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Welcome to the board,

I'm sure you'll find lots of helpful and talented folks here.

I look forward to seeing some of your work..

Why don't you stop by this thread while your on the board, it'd make a nice first post too.

Cheers from New England. Alan
  9. Huey Slick

Huey Slick New to Mu-43

Mar 31, 2011
    Thanks Alan. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the new camera, but it'll be a little while yet.
  10. broadway

broadway Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011

I haven't seen the the concrete cows for a while now, I always tried to look out for them from the train.

I'm starting the move from a Pentax K10D to a m43. With film it was Pentax, but was slow moving to digital and I find a K10D and multiple lens too much of a effort on a long day.

Trying to get the kit now, have lens need a body :rofl:
  11. Huey Slick

Huey Slick New to Mu-43

Mar 31, 2011
    I have a few legacy Pentax lenses and no MFT.....yet! In the same boat, so to speak.