1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hi from the Lake District (UK)

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Yorick43, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Yorick43

Yorick43 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    Lake District, UK
    Yorick
    Hi everybody.
    I'll just introduce myself first.
    I'm Yorick, 30 and I'm fortunate enough to live in the Lake district.

Photography has been a massive hobby since I was very young.
    It really runs in the family.

I've done quite some urban exploring, but have been doing quite a bit of landscape photography.

I always have used slr's and since about 8 years I have been using dslr's.
    I've got a 40d at the moment but I'm quite fed up with lugging it around so I'm selling the lot.

(If someone is interested I still have my 40D body, 17-50mm f2.8 Tamron and a Canon 70-200mm f4 L. Just contact me for details)

I want to buy an Olympus pen. Either the E-P3 or the E-PL5. They both will cost the same so price is not a matter.
    Can't make up my mind really. I've got quite big hands so I lean towards the E-P3. Will it disappoint me though? I know that the PL5 has got a better sensor and a tilty swivelly screen but I think I'll probably go for a viewfinder.

I really would appreciate your input in this!

2. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Welcome Yorick! Looking forward to seeing some of your images soon.

Good luck with the sale of your DSLR gear...

As for input with regards to an E-P3 or E-PL5 -- since you indicated that you'd most likely purchase a viewfinder, I'd recommend moving up a bit and buying an OM-D. Once you spring for an E-P3 AND viewfinder, you're almost spending the same amount of money as you would for an OM-D...

Right?!?

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome aboard from this side of the pond, Yorick. I should think you'll get quite a bit of assistance herein, sorting out your desired kit.

I'm afraid I can't be of assistance with either the E-P3 or the E-PL5, I run an E-PL1 and an EM-5. I would highly recommend looking at the EM-5 if it's within your budget and fits your size needs.

Posting a query about your two choices in the Olympus Camera forum might garner more answers than here in the Welcome to the Furball forum :wink:.

Regards,

Jim

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the forum! I have an E-P3 and I love it - great size, solid build, beautiful photos.

5. Yorick43

Yorick43 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    Lake District, UK
    Yorick
    Thanks for the input! The E- m5 would be great but it would stretch my budget I'm afraid. I'd rather go without viewfinder but with the 45mm f1. 8.
    I'm very much leaning towards the ep3 because of its bigger body, but the epl5 has the newer sensor.
    Choices, choices, choices....

If only I was rich and not so handsome! :)

6. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    Hi Yorick43, you are certainly in one of the most beautiful parts of the country. Perfect for landscape photography.

Personally I'd go for the tilt screen, EPL5, once you've used one it's hard to manage without.

7. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Hello Yorick and welcome to the forum!

8. Yorick43

Yorick43 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    Lake District, UK
    Yorick
    I forgot to mention my photo website: Urbanex.nl .