Hi From Thailand

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by siam, Apr 24, 2012.

1. siam

siam New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2012
    Thailand
    Well I came across this forum while researching to buy my self a new camera , the last one I bought was 11 years ago , so as you can see I may be needing a little help :smile:

Me , I'm originally from England now permanently living in a small rural village in Thailand , and surrounded by wonderful photo opportunity and things that want to bite or sting me , hence my looking for a new camera . here's its easier to see an elephant walking by than find a decent camera shop , so I really need to make the best camera buying decision I can , as its a long trip to a camera shop to buy my new camera.

I hope at some time I can contribute some thing to this forum , but for now I'm hoping to learn as much as I can from your guys here .

Kind regards - siam

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Siam
    Welcome and u r at the right place for advice .Just tell us how much u wanna spend ?
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

3. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010

Hi and welcome, there's a wealth of information on here, just ask! I'll be in Thailand in a couple of weeks, looking forward to the photo opportunities but not the biting or stinging :biggrin:

4. siam

siam New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2012
    Thailand
    Hi and thanks for the welcome

Up to now these 3 are on my list of possibility's

Screenshot2012-04-24at103616PM.

Screenshot2012-04-19at100645PM.

Screenshot2012-04-19at100514PM.

but still need to do some more research into each one .

Not buying a camera for 11 years , its a big shock to now look at what's available :eek:

siam

5. siam

siam New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2012
    Thailand

I'm sure you will have many photo opportunity's , just make sure to check under your bed for one of these , which tried to nip me a few days ago :smile:

Screenshot2012-04-24at111837PM.

siam

6. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Oh wonderful, can't wait!

(I've been to Thailand many times and luckily never seen one of those)

7. siam

siam New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2012
    Thailand
    It was a first for me too , it looks like a cross between a scorpion and well some thing else :smile:

Which part of Thailand will you be visiting ?

8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Welcome aboard Siam! All three cameras you are looking at are fine cameras. But do keep in mind you are in a Micro Four Thirds forum!

From an operational standpoint, I like the EPL2 the best. It has better controls than either Sony and has a nice built-in flash. It also has a broader lens selection than the Sony's. The NEX5 probably has the best built with its magnesium alloy body. The NEX3C has the newest sensor of the three cameras, which is the much praised Sony 16 megapixel sensor (if I recall correctly). On the EPL2, you have the option of using an electronic viewfinder. No such options on the NEX5 and NEX3C. If you like viewfinders, for the Sony, you'd have to move up to the NEX5N (optional) or the NEX7 (built-in).

@Glenn - have fun in Thailand and bring some insect repelant!!

9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    That is a crazy looking critter! I used to travel to Thailand a bunch for work, but never saw one of those under my bed at the J.W. Marriott. =D

10. siam

siam New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2012
    Thailand
    Hi and thanks for you thoughts , you can by now tell I'm a bit lost on the subject :redface:

your comments are just what I was hoping for , its much appreciated

siam

• Like Like x 1
  11. siam

siam New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2012
    Thailand
    Did you ever try these :smile:

Screenshot2012-04-25at120843AM.

siam

• Like Like x 1
  12. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :rofl:

I have had chicken feet in the Philippines a couple times, but never in Thailand, for some reason? Wait, those are pretty gnarly looking chicken feet.... :eek:

I mostly was in BKK in Thailand, but did get one trip down to Hay Yai and then I was up in the north at Chiang Mai for a conference once.

13. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Chicken feet? Or shall we say "Phoenix Claw"! Love that stuff. Particularly for dim sum.