1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Hi from Surrey

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by slappy, Jan 15, 2013.

1. slappy

slappy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    Hi I have recently bought Olympus OM-D E-M5. It came with 12-50mm lens, and on offer is free portrait lens which should be coming. What other immediate accessories should I get as I have only had simple cameras before. eg strap, what size bag, filter, other lens?
    Thanks

It is Surrey in UK

2. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Hi slappy, welcome :smile:

You've asked a massive, open-ended question there :biggrin:

Personally, I would get used to the kit zoom, and the excellent 45mm when it comes, before you get anything else. Take photos, and analyse which focal distance suits you best.

I'm still using an adapted padded laptop bag, as I've not found the "perfect" bag yet for m4/3, if it exists.

Strap, I made my own paracord wrist straps using the double cobra knot, excellent (google it, lots of youtube tutorials on how to do it).

I started off using UV filters for protection, but now my lenses are naked, and much sharper for it, but YMMV, lots of polarised (pardon the pun !!) views on this.

Look forward to seeing your images posted.

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Slappy!

Welcome to the forum.

On bags there is a large thread here:

https://www.mu-43.com/f67/bags-more-bags-593/

Filters here:

https://www.mu-43.com/f67/filter-companies-do-you-trust-39046/

Straps here:

https://www.mu-43.com/f67/strap-suggestions-24709/

These threads are all under the "Accessories" forum, and there are several others on the topics as well.

As far as which lens is next, that depends on the type of photography you are interested in. See the forum "Native Lenses" for lots of information on lenses.

Good to have you with us!

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  4. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    Hello, I'm from Surrey too and also have the EM5 :) I wouldn't rush to buy anything else, just wait and see how you get on. You may find that your type of photography requires some extra bits and pieces later. My best advice...... start saving, it's addictive :)

5. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Welcome, Slappy! You dont happen to have a disability of just slapping other people spontaneously? :biggrin:

Kidding aside, i use UV filters for the sake of added protection from smudges and finger print marks. It does flare (i dont have the slim versions) but for my use, its alright. Everything's personal in terms of what you want as a bag, strap, lens hood, lens choices.

I dont have neither the 12-50 nor the 45 but both has great uses. The kit lens is an all around-er. If i had one i wouldnt sell it just for the range alone (never mind the slow aperture speed) the 45 is a great portrait and low light lens. And with the om-d's great new sensor you'd be pleased (for sure) with the results.

Currently, i use an old (ordinary) canvas bag. No pads no camera slots. I like it simple and ordinary. I have a few lowepros (again, bags depends on you. You might want a backpack or a fanny pack or a sling/shoulder or a body bag), a tenba and a beat up domke which i got from my grandpa. I also use (black) canvas straps i got from HK. Bought it at around HKD15 in a thirft shop.

Hope your stay here is as good as mine. Dont be shy and upload those images! :cool:

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

6. Adamski

Adamski New to Mu-43

Jan 15, 2013
    Bedfordshire, England
    Adam
    Hi Slappy

A warm welcome. You won't be disappointed with the results from the Camera.

I love the additional battery grip I would be lost without it and of course you'll need another battery in time :smile: