Hi from snowy Finland

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by hadde, Jan 5, 2011.

1. hadde

hadde New to Mu-43

Jan 3, 2011
    Hi all and greetings from Snowy Finland,

I found my self updating my Point and Shoot camera to E-PL1 with the kit lens. I have also the m.zuiko 40-150 lens and I am considering to get the Panasonic 20mm....and after that...;) No that should be enough :wink:

I had earlier Panasonic FZ18, so this is my first (Micro) DSLR camera. I am learning all the time and found this forum very useful to help with this and to compare equipment etc.

I am very happy with the camera so far, only thing currently missing is the good low light lens for Indoor shooting. People have so much appreciated the Pana 20mm 1.7. lens that I think I will go for it. It's quite expensive but hoping to get good results with it as amateur photographer.

But I am excited and hope to get a new hobby with the E-PL1, let's see how it turns :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 4
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Welcome aboard hadde. I am also new here and to 4/3rds photography and the place is full of interesting, knowledgable peoples and interesting posts. Best of luck with your new equipment and Good Shooting.

Gary

• Like Like x 2
  3. travisennis

travisennis Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2010
    Indiana
    Hi hadde. I'm new here myself, but welcome to the forum.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Terve ja tervetuloa myös omasta puolesta foorumille!

Nice to see other finns here too. I feel this is a very friendly and helpfull community. I hope to see your m4/3 photos soon. I can definitely advice to get the 20mm, it is worth of the every single euro (to be accurate 400.90 € at verkkokauppa.com here in Finland).

Terveisin
    Ville Ivalosta

• Like Like x 2
  5. hadde

hadde New to Mu-43

Jan 3, 2011
    Thanks

Thanks, and happy shooting all, you are quick posters :thumbup: If you have nice Pana 20mm Freehand taken low light pictures, I would love to see it (yes, seens ALOT of pictures allready but what is enough), I am also wondering is the Autofocus better in the E-Pl1 with the 20mm compared to the kit lens.

Vivalo, nice to see other Finns here aswell,

Hyvää päivää, hienoa, että täällä on muitakin Suomalaisia, hienoja kuvia sulla Galleriassa, aika kivat puitteet kuvaamiselle noilla maisemilla, toisin kun täällä Espoossa :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  6. lillefot

lillefot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 7, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    Hello, and greetings from Oslo, Norway! :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hello and welcome Hadde from Holland !

• Like Like x 2
  8. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Welcome Hadde, and Hello from Scotland. Don't forget that you can use lots of legacy lenses with your camera, via relatively inexpensive adapters, for low light work. Lenses like the OM fit 50mm f1.8 can be had for not much money. If you're happy using manual focus there are lots of possibilities.

All the best,

Colin

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Hadde I have one 50mm 1.8 om zuiko useless now because I bought the 1.4 version. So if you have an adapter I would be happy to sell it to another m4/3 user. PM if you are interested. I am visiting Vantaa next week so you can also test it if you like.

10. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome from sunny and sandy Western Australia.

• Like Like x 1
  11. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Wow all these Finlanders! You folks would be at home in my home town here in Canada. According to Wikipedia:

"Thunder Bay is home to 12,825 people of Finnish descent, the highest concentration of persons of Finnish origin per capita in Canada, and the second largest Finnish population in Canada after Toronto which has 14,750 persons of Finnish origin." Note: The population of Thunder Bay is 109,000 and Toronto is 2,840,000.

Welcome to the forum! :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  12. hadde

hadde New to Mu-43

Jan 3, 2011
    Wau

That's alot, more than 10 % from the population in Thunder Bay, didn't know that!

Thanks for all welcomes,

Vivalo, dont have OM adapter, atleast yet, but yes, would have been intrested of the 50mm OM lens, have to check if threre is some "cheap adapters for that. Is there any samples in your gallery with that lens?

Brgrds / Andy

13. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
  14. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
  15. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    And here are two more samples as I promised via PM. First one is wide open and the second at 2.8 I guess. Both are taken with E-P1 and some adjustments to sharpness and contrast have been applied.

P9193011.JPG

P9193024.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  16. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I know! Apparently there was quite a wave of immigration from Finland to our area in the early 1900's. I should go down to the Finnish business district and take some photos of the Finnish Labour Temple (2010 was its 100th year), the Hoito Restaurant (their menu includes lettu/lätty, viili, karjalanpiirakka, karjalanpaisti, lohiperunalaatikko, pulla, suolakala, riisipuuro, kalakeitto, hernekeitto, Finnish weiners and mojakka) and some of the neighbourhood features. Maybe I'll do that on St Urho's Day!:smile:

17. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Note the Lettuhillo on the last picture, that's Lettujam. I think we should have a mu-43 meeting in Thunder Bay! I will bring all the lettus and jams. :rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  18. hadde

hadde New to Mu-43

Jan 3, 2011
    I totally agree, I will bring the cream :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  19. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

hadde, a belated but nevertheless enthusiastic "Welcome!" from here in New York. It appears that you've already made yourself at home.:grouphug::thumbup:

• Like Like x 1