1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hi, from Singapore

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by NiVleKsg, Apr 14, 2012.

1. NiVleKsg

NiVleKsg New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2012
    Hi there!

I chanced upon this forum when I was searching for a comparison between Olympus 9-18 vs Panasonic 7-14. For me, I was a previous user of the first mirror less camera by Olympus, the Olympus EP-1 but I sold it rather quickly, just weeks after getting it due to the poor AF speed and lack of any EVF.

Fast forward to three years later, Olympus has released many other PEN models and improved upon their technology. And this is what got me interested again.

7073302147_d4bbba78e2_z.

The Olympus OMD EM5. The looks are stunning and with In Body 5 Axis Stabilization and weather sealing and EVF, I decided to give this baby one more chance.

And here I am, just collected my Black EM5 yesterday and now searching around for other good lens to buy.

I am a DSLR user and with this EM5, I am hoping to fully convert my camera system to one that is m4/3.

2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Hi and welcome. Many here will be jealous of the way you restarted with ยต4/3, you could have done worse than buying an E-M5 :smile:.

As for wide-angle lenses, you can't go wrong with either the 9-18mm or 7-14mm. It's really down to which zoom range you like and what money you're willing to spend. I have the 7-14mm and honestly I must say I have never made one meaningful picture with 7mm, it's just too damn wide for me. The 9-18mm would have suited me fine but wasn't available back when I bought the 7-14.

3. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    welcome to the forum and I am also jealous of your new toy.

4. NiVleKsg

NiVleKsg New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2012
    Thanks guys!

I do hope I end up sticking with the m4/3 system! Cos I just sold my EFS 10-22mm lens for my Canon System.

I think I will go for the 9-18, most likely. The question is will I need the 3mm more difference from the 12-50? Since my canon 10-22 is also pretty much underutilized.

5. Sawfish

Sawfish Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Denmark
    Welcome. Nice camera.

Sf

6. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    If you didn't make a lot of pictures with your Canon gear at a focal length below 16mm, there's probably no point in buying a 9-18mm very soon. You'll find out soon enough if your 12-50mm isn't wide enough.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome! I just sold my whole Canon kit and went completely :43:. I have an E-P1 (and just added an E-PL2). I fell in love with it and haven't looked back. I'm also jealous - I hope to get an OM eventually. Enjoy!:thumbup:

8. NiVleKsg

NiVleKsg New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2012
    Yeah. Thats what I thought so. Next lens to get for me will be the panasonic 20mm F1.7. I am hopping to get a long telephoto zoom lens but still undecided which is good.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Hi and welcome. I'll be in Singapore next month but I don't think I'll have my silver EM-5 by the time I leave :-(

I can recommend the Panasonic 100-300. I use mine with a GH2 and love it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the forum! Man, some white pepper crab and a cold Tiger sounds good right now. =D

I did a bunch of research on m4/3 wides/ultrawides... and ended up going with the Oly 12. The 9-18 is a great lens with the key advantages being size/weight, cost and that it can also cover up into the near normal range, which would make it a pretty great walk around lens. The 7-14 is bigger and more expensive, but it goes wider, of course, and is sharper in the corners/edges if that is important to you.

I ended up going with the Olympus 12mm. Obviously, it does not go as wide as the other two, but I felt like it would be wide enough for how I shot. It also was sharper than the 9-18 at 12mm and the same or maybe better than the 7-14 there. It also has the snap focus ring and a compact size... can serve as a good walk around lens for street and architecture.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NiVleKsg

NiVleKsg New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2012
    Even in Singapore, stocks are non-existent for silver bodies. Retailers are quoting for early May to Mid May for the stocks to arrive. And with that, most are all pre-ordered for.

For the black bodies, Olympus offers the dual kit lens here (14-42, 40-150) in Singapore and there are lots of stock for it.

12. NiVleKsg

NiVleKsg New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2012
    I like my crabs with black pepper sauce. :D

There is one more reason why I am not so keen on the 7-14. You can't attach filters on this lens.

13. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    I think next month a lot of shops down here will have EM5 in stock. The price is comparable to US price. And... you can claim the GST/tax. :biggrin: