Hi from Scotland

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by GordonH, Jan 8, 2013.

1. GordonH

GordonH New to Mu-43

Jan 7, 2013
    Greetings from the Scottish Borders.
    Been taking photos with many different cameras for about 40 years and I've joined the forum after searching for posts on setting up the Olympus OMD M5. I just sold my Canon digital kit including my 60D to buy an M5 with 12-50kit lens, a Panasonic 45-175 and the Olympus 45mm f1.8 portrait lens (free as part of the UK promotion).
    For me it was a big decision to change from a chunky SLR (been using Canon SLR's for over twenty years) but I was looking for smaller and lighter and no aching shoulders and the M5 is absolutely superb.
    Setting it up and getting used to it is a big learning curve as the manual (the big one on CD) is not always that clear and I've spent the last twenty years using Canon. I'm looking forward to more hints, tips and insight from other members.
    Thoughts on the settings to get the EVF to stop freezing when taking multiple shots of a fast moving subject would be really useful (I'm sure I'm missing something really simple).

Olympus M5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Hello Gordon...and welcome.

You've made a fine selection in both camera and forum :)
    Be sure to browse through the site, many well informed contributors always posting good stuff...I think I learn something new just about every time I log in.

Regrading the refresh rate of the EVF during burst modes...I think that is one particular niggle that many have with the EM5, I understand it doesn't compare with some of the DSLR standards but with some tweaking becomes tolerable. Sorry I can't be of any more assistance...but this EM5 shooter doesn't shoot in burst mode very often :rolleyes:

Good luck mate.
  3. GordonH

GordonH New to Mu-43

Jan 7, 2013
    Thanks Livnius,
    Have just found I can switch automatic playback off, it may have been causing part of the problem.

4. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Hello and welcome to the forum! Looking forward to see some of your photos!
  5. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Welcome Gordon!
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Welcome to the Forum.
  7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Welcome. I've taken three trips to Scotland, and the photography was always a most enjoyable part of the trip.
  8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan

Hi Gordon!

Welcome aboard.

David Busch has released his OM-D EM-5 book, and it's a bit better than the OEM manual. It's available on Amazon, and if you use the link on the forum to Amazon then Amin (site chief editor, manager, cook, and bottle washer) gets a small slice of the sale price. (I have no financial interest in the book or the site, but agree with you that the OEM manual is lamentable. I printed a copy and even that didn't help much :biggrin:).

I found the Busch book to be a bit lacking for experienced photographers, but the chapters on menus is, perhaps, worth the asking price.

Also there is a large treasure trove of information on the forum, and plenty of helpful people to answer questions.

9. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Welcome, Gordon, from a Scot living in Germany! I switched from Nikon to an E-M5 (plus an X100) and haven't regretted it one bit.
  10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome aboard! You chose a fine camera - look forward to seeing some photos. :smile:
  11. moonmando

moonmando Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 16, 2012
    Matt Caldwell
    Welcome aboard Gordon.Good to see a fellow Scot on the forum.I have a Nikon D300,which is a superb camera but like yourself find whenever i`m going out i always grab my Olympus pen e-p3 as it is so light and portable.As a result i`ve taken loads of great shots that i never would have taken due to the heavier weight and dimensions of my Nikon.