Hi from Perth

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by lefty, Aug 31, 2012.

1. lefty

lefty Mu-43 Regular

hi
    I'm a newbie to the world of photography. I come from a world of compact cameras set to auto. In April this year I asked a friend who is a photo buff what camera I should get to bring on my 2 month USA trip. He said there was this new camera from Olympus that was compact but rumoured to have serious power. I had no idea what he meant but I bought this OMD EM5 sight unseen as I only had 3 days before I left. As recommended I got the 12-50mm lens also. By luck Olympus Australia had a promo of a free MMF3

After 2 months of playing with it I realised I was like a teenager driving a Ferrari - its abilities far outweighed mine. So when I came back I did more research, went on a lens buying spree and now joined up here hoping to learn to be worthy of such a great camera and use it out of auto mode...

I have been going a bit nuts on ebay and have collected a 17mm m.zuiko, 45mm m.zuiko, 70-300 zuiko , 35mm zuiko macro, 45-150mm zuiko and just yesterday an OM20 with a 50mm for $40 delivered. I have apparently scored a nice legacy 50mm, a newer gen one that looks as good as new.Now I just need an adapter.

Anyway, I'll probably be lurking more than posting.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. KH74

KH74 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    Western Australia
    Hi and welcome. I am also from Perth. Got my OM-D E-M5 in June. It's a great camera.

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Welcome to the forum.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
    Gary

4. tubedriver

tubedriver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Shaun
    Hi Lefty,

Welcome to our site. Also from Perth.

5. Paul Amyes

Paul Amyes Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Great another sand groper. Welcome to the club.

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome! Feel free to lurk for awhile, then ask a few questions, then maybe add a photo or two. Always glad to hear from new members! :biggrin:

7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

G'day & welcome Lefty. I'm just west of Sydney in the Blue Mountains & also an OM-D E-M5 user. While the 70-300 & 35mm macro lens work on the E-M5 you do need to allow for their slower focusing but will still give you nice images. Have you got the links for the set-up guides etc.?

8. lefty

lefty Mu-43 Regular

thanks for the welcome

nope. what are they?

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The setup guides give suggestions for the best/most useful menu settings on a new camera. For instance, the Olympus menus are detailed and a bit complicated but they allow for considerable customization. Most only need to be set once. The guides take you step by step through the initial process. They are extremely helpful. :cool:

10. melonbread

melonbread Mu-43 Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Jannette
    Welcome! I'm a fellow aussie and have only recently joined this forum, but I must say everyone here has been so nice and welcoming!

11. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello Lefty and another Perth welcome.

12. lefty

lefty Mu-43 Regular

Hi Bill
    you wouldn't be an ex-high school teacher by any chance?

13. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Yes, I'm a retired science teacher.

14. lefty

lefty Mu-43 Regular

Corpus Christi class of 91 :smile:

15. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer