1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hi From Perth, Western Australia

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by tubedriver, May 21, 2012.

1. tubedriver

tubedriver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Shaun
    Hi Everyone,

I have been a member/supporter for a couple of weeks now and thought that I should write a few lines introducing myself, before I am not a new member anymore.

I am 51 years old, married with one 13 year old son.

I presently live in Perth, Western Australia. I moved here about 3 years ago, after being reluctantly transferred from Tasmania. I have also lived in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney along with various places throughout Papua New Guinea.

I work as an airline pilot (A320 Captain) which takes me to quite a few places throughout South East Asia.

My real love is photography - especially landscape photography. I have been taking photos for about 8 years now (sometimes on and off) and made the move to micro 4/3 just over a year ago.

I find Perth, particularly hard with regard to finding places to photograph that will suit someone into landscape photography. This is why in my last paragraph I said, "sometimes on and off". Until recently, I hadn't taken a photo for about 2 years!

This had to change - life is just too short.

I plan to broaden my horizons from just landscapes and move into macro, b/W etc.

Please check out my gallery - I plan to add more just as soon as I can.

Anyway, enough rambling form me.

I plan to be a regular around here and look forward to getting to know you all.

Regards,

PS. I chose tubedriver as my member name because I am.

2. Brownian

Brownian Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Ireland
    A reluctant Sandgroper eh - hi and welcome.

I suggest you get down to the southwest around Albany/Denmark for some nice coastal scenery or to the stirling ranges, but yes, you are right, not much to be had near Perth unless you like flat.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Welcome! I've not been to Perth but I have a few friends down there. Please post some pics when you can.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tubedriver

tubedriver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Shaun
    Brownian,

Yes, Albany and the Stirling ranges are both beautiful places. I have photographed in both places.

WT21,

I have placed a photo or two in my gallery. Perth, Swan Valley, Stirling Ranges and Albany.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Great shots. Especially like "Ships on the Horizon" -- ominous in many ways. Is that a time exposure? How can there be so many large ships in such close proximity to each other?

• Like Like x 1
  6. j.SoundLabs

j.SoundLabs Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Jason
    welcome! I had the pleasure of studying in Australia for six months while in college. The first university we visited was in Perth. It was an absolutely amazing place and I have plans to visit again as soon as I can.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tubedriver

tubedriver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Shaun
    WT21

Wow you liked "Ships on the Horizon"! I like it too, but feel that I failed in many ways to properly capture this. I will try again when I am next in Singapore.
    The ships were looming out of the mist/drizzle as the sun was rising. This picture was taken off the east coast of Singapore where many large ships anchor while waiting for port. It was taken using the ZD 40-150mm at 150mm which compresses the image to give the impression that the ships were close together. f/8 at 1/15 sec ISO 200

8. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Welcome and thanks for posting images in your gallery immediately. Ships on the horizon is quite powerful. Including the swimmers really draws the viewer in.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Xuereb

Xuereb Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 20, 2011
    Perth, Australia
    Welcome, you must spend more time around the Avon river, & the hills areas.

• Like Like x 1
  10. j.SoundLabs

j.SoundLabs Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Jason
    The skyline photograph looks like it was shot from that park up on the hill, "Kings Park" or something like that, right?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey Shaun I remember the picture you posted of the jetty awhile back. Welcome here. I'm over Queensland way in the heart of cotton growing country which is in full swing harvesting at the moment.

Few years ago I visited Perth and we had a nice time, my favourite memories were visiting the pinnacles- what an amazing sight to see.

I hope to see you around,

icon

• Like Like x 1
  12. tubedriver

tubedriver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Shaun
    Kings Park - Exactly. I took that photo as part of my first shoot using my new OMD E-M5. I plan to post a couple more photos from that night soon.