Hi from Outback Australia!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by outbackphotogeek, Jan 30, 2013.

1. outbackphotogeek

outbackphotogeek New to Mu-43

Jan 30, 2013
    Hi everyone, long time lurker here, finally registered. I gave all of my Nikon DSLR gear to my daughter to use for photography at school a bit of a year ago, and converted to Micro 4/3 with an Olympus E-P3. I loved that, and have recently upgraded to an OM-D E-M5, which I'm loving even more. The ability to pack all of my kit in such a small place, and to take a camera without having to feel like my whole day is about managing the camera is fantastic. And wow, the lenses. So far I have the Olympus 12, 45, 60, 75 and 12-50, and the Panasonic 20 (soon to be replaced I think with the new Olympus 17).

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome to the forum! I still use an E-P3 but hope to eventually upgrade to the OM-D. :cool:
  3. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    G'day mate!
  4. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    By the by you two, I was considering an ep-3 or gx1 for a second. How's video on ep-3?
  5. outbackphotogeek

Jan 30, 2013
    I'm not much help I'm afraid...I took exactly one video with my ep-3, and when I tried to import it on to my Mac, I was confused enough by the AVCHD format to pretty much give up (video is something I'm usually not fussed about).

That's something I'm hoping will be easier using the OM-D, with it using H.264 instead.
  6. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    Looking forward to seeing some pics of the outback where you live.
    might make me homesick for OZ.
  7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Welcome to the forum. Looking at your lens line-up, you will probably be better served by the PL25mm in lieu of the O17mm. There is only about a step difference between O12mm and O17mm.

8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.

9. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Welcome to another Aussie.
  10. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

And welcome also from a Victorian. I'd love to know just how far "Outback" you really are. My time as a retiree is going to be exploring this great land. Where friends live and what they do is so important to our lifestyle. Show us some photos of where you live, and tell us more about yourself.
  11. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi there. Looking forward to some outback photos.
  12. renee

renee Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 27, 2012
    Western Australia
    Welcome from a fellow (Western) Australian! You aren't in outback WA by any chance?
  13. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    G'day mate! Tell us a little more about yourself, like where abouts (in the outback) you are & maybe a first name too (but don't let me pressure you). :rolleyes: :biggrin:

14. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi.. A very very stromy and hot welcome from Victoria( Based on last week's weather).
  15. oto02

oto02 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Melbourne, VICTORIA, AU
    Hi mate,

Welcome to the forum, one of the place where you can easily spend heaps of time and getting great info/rumors.

16. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
  17. outbackphotogeek

Jan 30, 2013
    Clearly I need to work out how to subscribe to threads and have it emailed, as I totally missed the updates to this thread...sorry about that! To answer the questions on how outback my location is, I'm in Alice Springs. Thanks for all the great welcomes!
  18. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Can't get more outback than that!!!!
    Welcome to the group.
    The sunrise from the top of the hill in Alice is spectacular!!!!
  19. Paul Amyes

Paul Amyes Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Well that's a long drive to the beach!

G'day from WA.:smile:
  20. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    The Ostray'ians are multiplying :smile: