Hi from NJ

Jeff Beigie

New to Mu-43
Hi everyone, this is Jeff in Southern New Jersey (outside of Philadelphia). I'm an amateur photographer starting with a Pentax K-1000 back in 1980. One thing that camera taught me was that I didn't like lugging more than 1 or two HEAVY lenses around. Between the weight and cost of developing film (back then I couldn't afford to shoot much), I found I would never take a picture unless everything was perfect.

Fast forward to the early 2000's when I got my first digital camera - an Olympus! Wow I loved it, I could now take all the pictures I wanted and it wouldn't cost me a penny. I went through a series of compact cameras, a Panasonic FZ-10 (or was that -100), a canon elph, finally another panasonic travel zoom a ZSsomething. About 5 years ago, my wife suggested that maybe I would like a dslr.

Remembering my experience with the K-1000, I decided that a mirrorless camera would be the way to go. I was torn between the Sony Nex, Panasonic, and Olympus. At the time, I was able to get a real deal on the E-PL1. Since I wasn't really sure what my experience would be, I figured the E-PL1 would be a good way to get my feet wet. It came with 2 kit lenses. the 14-42, and 40-150mm lenses. I started here, and started collecting lenses. I picked up the Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye so I would have something really wide angle. I was blown away with the quality of the Rokinon for the money. So my next lens was another Rokinon - 12mm f2.0. About that time, my E-PL1 started giving me problems. The camera had issues determining that a lens was attached. What a pain. I almost dumped Olympus right there. But with allUs these 4/3 lenses I had collected, I didn't want to change systems. I decided to give Oly another chance, and got the E-PL5. Got that, and the VF-2 viewfinder. Loved it! Picked up a couple of more lenses. The Pany 100-300, and the Oly 17mm, and 45mm.

I used the E-PL5 for a couple of years when I decided that I wanted to be able to control the camera without having to resort to the touchscreen for everything. I wanted a cam with dials and a built in viewfinder. I found that I almost never took a picture without using the VF-2. So doing my research I came down to the GX8 and OM-D EM5II. At first I thought the GX8 was too big, but I went to a camera store that had them both and let me play with them for about 30min. Believe it or not - it came down to the flip up viewfinder. The VF2 let you do that, and I did it all the time. It was a feature I just didn't want to give up. Also, that week Panasonic was having a sale, and I was able to get the GX8 for the same price as the EM5II. I have not regretted that decision at all! I love the GX8. It is just such an easy camera to use. I also picked up a couple of more lenses. With the GX8 I got the 12-35 f2.8 (used), then I got the Panasonic 25 f1.7 (my go to prime!), the Oly 60mm, and a Panasonic 45-150 zoom with OIS. Finding the E-PL5 collecting dust - I sold it through e-bay valet (big mistake they took about 6mos to sell it).

Now I decided I wanted another camera body so maybe I could make my own Youtube vids, and would have a camera for a prop and one for doing the filming. I was holding off for the black friday sales. I really had my eye on the Panasonic G85. But wouldn't you know it - No sales here in the USA. Drove me crazy seeing what Panasonic was selling in the UK. Free battery grip, etc. Nothing doing here. So, I picked up used OM-D EM5II. I've only had it about a month. After using the GX8 for so long - I'm finding the Oly suffers in comparison. But I do like having 2 camera bodies. Santa was really nice to me. He brought me a 7-14mm f2.8 lens! I went out New Years eve with both bodies. GX8 with the 12-35f2.8, and the E-M5II with the 7-14mm. Nice! Next purchase will be a harness for 2 bodies.

Did I say I was an Engineer? I love camera gear because they are just little engineering marvels. I just find them so cool - I can't resist just picking a camera up and fiddling with it. I constantly want to get a new piece of gear just because! Cameras and Engineering is a recipe for terminal G.A.S.!

Now a bit about the kind of photography I take. I'm a real History buff and a consummate tourist. So lots of my photography is of battlefields, statues, reenactors, airplanes, and the like. I also love to take pictures of where ever my job may send me and where we might take our vacation to. So between taking pictures of canon - I also take travel shots. So much of my photography are pictures of opportunity. I don't generally have the time to stay at the same location for hours on end waiting for just the perfect light. I'm more the kind that I've got an hour to wander around, what ever the light is in that hour that is what I'm photographing. That is what I really want to improve - how to capitalize on the moment and still get an interesting shot no matter how challenging the lighting is.

I think that is enough for now.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum Jeff, from another New Jerseyan. But I say Taylor Ham, not Pork Roll.

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
Another Jersey Boy here. Grew up at the Jersey Shore so that makes me a clam digger. And welcome aboard, Jeff! Jump right in.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
Well, I'm a transplanted Noo Yawker but I've lived in northern NJ since 1998. Welcome!

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
Welcome from the other side of the Delaware river. I'm a transplant though.

Latest threads

Top Bottom