Hi from Newcastle UK

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by DaveyA, Mar 12, 2013.

1. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Hello All
    I think I spent most of the last week looking at all of the articles and reviews of the EM5 that I can find. I haven't actually seen one in the flesh but there is a local camera store that stocks them so I am going along tomorrow to have a look. What may tip the balance is the fact that at the moment there is an offer to claim free either a 45mm f/1.8 lens and battery or the grips and battery if you buy a new EM5. If I go ahead I think the lens and battery would be a good bet. What do you reckon? The camera comes with the 12-50 kit lens. Last year I sold my Nikon D70 and various lenses because I was fed up with the bulk of everything. I downsized dramatically and bought a Leica D Lux 5 which is a great little camera to carry around, I even take it with me when I go running sometimes. You can't do that with a bulky DSLR. But I do miss having a viewfinder and the involvement of using a SLR type camera. I am just a keen hobbyist , nothing serious. But when I came across this apparent little gem my mind started ticking over and I am enthused. I will be in touch again after I have seen the camera and made a decision. I have a feeling that I already know the outcome.
    Bye for now.

2. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Welcome, Davey! I have an E-M5 and an E-PL5 and I love them. You're going to love this forum also. I also have the update in Pansonic form to the DLUX-5, the LX7.

The 12-50mm is a sometimes misunderstood lens and has I think performance better than many kit lenses. I kept it though primarily because it's weather sealed and I can shoot in wet and very dirty conditions with the E-M5.

There's a thread in the sample images section on the kit lens so you can have a look and see what some of us have done with it.

Again, welcome.

3. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Welcome to the forum! I think it would be better to take the 45mm bundle since it might hold its value better and it will be easier to sell if necessary.

4. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Thanks very much. Great advice from you both in my first post, can't be bad.
    I forgot about the lens being weatherproofed, so even on a dreary wet day, of which we see plenty in this part of the world, I won't be so fearful of getting my nice new kit a bit damp. I have one other question if you don't mind me asking, sorry if I should be asking in another section. I have read the Wiki page about setting up the camera to get the best from it. How many people actually do this or do they just dive right in and start shooting? I know some cameras are described as being computers with a lens, but looking at the Wiki page it seems this thing is more like a space shuttle with a lens attached:smile:

5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the forum!

The Olympus menu system is a bit scary... so much going on there. The good news is that once you have done the initial setup, you rarely need to go any deeper than the super control panel (one button press to see most important settings).

6. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    Nice to see another north-easterner :thumbup:

7. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    If you want some "instant" good photos don't be afraid to try out "iAuto". It won't make the same decisions you might but it turns out nice JPG photos. I use it sometimes chasing grandkids around because it seems to find focus better and quicker for some reason. I could probably set everything up for that, but since those are not "art" photos, I cheat, lol.

I've used the 12-50 in the rain and you definitely want the aftermarket hood (Olympus is too expensive) to keep drops off the lens. Also, the E-M5 viewfinder fogs internally in cool rain for some reason, but I've found if you carry the camera with your thumb over the viewfinder (I take off the eyecup) then it stays warm enough to prevent condensation.

8. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Definitely go for the 45 lens, it's an excellent piece of glass. I moved to m43 for the same reason: less weight, less bulk, but just as much competence. Enjoy it!

9. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Welcome! You chose the perfect camera. ;)

Here's my vote for following one of the setup guides. I used the one on DPR, and I think it was the right way to go. If nothing else, it gets you acquainted with the location of some common settings in the menu. The only truly confusing thing with the EM5 is the behavior of the EVF button, but you'll get that sorted out in no time. I also recommend changing the behavior of the main dial in manual mode (in the button/dial section in the menu) so it controls aperture instead of shutter speed.

And the 45 lens is a way better choice than the grip, BTW.

See you around.

10. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Welcome, Good Choice, 45mm rather than Grip (higher value retention as already mentioned)
    Regards Rob (Isle of Wight)

11. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim

12. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    BTW, if you want a grip later, I can recommend the JB Cameras one (available on amazon.com): not expensive and feels very good.

13. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Thanks ever so much for the advice. What a nice welcome. I called in at the shop today and asked to look at the camera. Having only seen pictures of it I don't mind admitting that I was quite taken aback (in a good way) how small it actually is. But it feels very comfortable to handle indeed, has a nice weight to it and seems really well put together. I think I am almost certainly going to buy one now that I have seen it. Trouble is I went in thinking that I liked the look of the black ones best and then I compared them both side by side and thought the silver one looked good too. Now I don't want to start any trouble or anything but, black or silver? Silver or black?
    Hmmm:smile:
    Just kidding. I know it all comes down to personal taste at the end of the day, and whatever the colour it is still a lovely piece of kit. I am looking forward to learning lots about it and if the help that I have already received is any indication then I have come to the right place.
    Thanks again
    Dave

14. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Not just taste though in my case: I like black better, but bought silver to keep the camera a little cooler when shooting in the sun. Just a practical thing because it really doesn't matter too much if I like how it looks -- as long as I like how it shoots, lol.

15. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the forum. The 45mm is a really fine lens - you won't regret it if you take that offer.