Hi from New Zealand

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by macboy001, Jun 25, 2010.

1. macboy001

macboy001 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2010
    Wairarapa, New Zealand
    Hi,

I am a non-mU4/3'rds lurker :smile: who is very interested in moving away from my brick outhouse of a DSLR to possibly a GF1. I refer to it as a brick because its a Canon 1Ds Mark 1, and its huge and heavy and cumbersome and draws a lot of attention.
    I come from an OM-1 film camera via a Canon 20D which had the worst colour fringing on its kit 18-55 lens, that I bought the 1Ds and a 17-40 f4L and love the full frame resolution. But (isn't there always a but?) I'm suffering for my art carrying this monster around and its getting left at home in preference for my Canon G9. So.. my question is, will a GF1 replace the 1Ds in quality? They have near enough the same 11-12MP, but the 1Ds does that with full frame. I enjoy 80% landscapes/architecture, and the other 20% is childrens sports - but thats optional, the G9 has been just as useful at that - I'm just a proud parent not the team photographer! If I did go to a GF1 can I get an adapter for my better EOS lenses?

looking forward to the advice

• Like Like x 1
  2. Auntiepode

Auntiepode Mu-43 Regular

Welcome. I'm in the Bay of Islands. I'm keeping my Canon 5D. It has it's advantages, but it's a load to carry around. My walking around camera is now a GF1. In general, EOS lenses aren't a good fit for m4/3 because they don't have manual aperture control. The older Canon FD lenses do and are reasonable to adapt. I've only been using the GF1 a few months, but so far I've found it quite excellent for perhaps 90% of what I like to photograph. For a serious landscape adventure, I'll lug the Canon. (Sometime it feels like lugging a cannon.) Whether it's enough quality for your needs, may I suggest browsing the galleries here?

3. Letrow

Letrow Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2010
    Netherlands
    Hi Mac. I have the same issue as you. Want to move to 43, but am still using a big Nikon at the moment.
    I am rooting for the GF2 and imagine that it will be perfect for me:rolleyes:

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome - I'm pretty sure there is an incompatability with EOS and micro 4/3 or 4/3.

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

macboy, welcome to the forums here on mu-43.com!

I'd like to suggest that you start a new thread asking your questions about the adaptability of your Canon lenses on the Adapted Lens forum. If you're 100% sure you want the GF1, you can skip the Adapted Lenses forum and post directly on the Panasonic forum. Either of these forums will bring you more "eyes"...

I hope you'll get some more feedback and feel confident about whatever camera you decide to go with.:thumbup:

6. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hello, welcome here. Glad you found us, thanks. I'm sure the GF1 is a great camera.

7. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    'Hello' back from Auckland!