1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

    If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hi from New Zealand

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by macboy001, Jun 25, 2010.

  1. macboy001

    macboy001 Mu-43 Regular

    29
    Jun 25, 2010
    Wairarapa, New Zealand
    Hi,

    I am a non-mU4/3'rds lurker :smile: who is very interested in moving away from my brick outhouse of a DSLR to possibly a GF1. I refer to it as a brick because its a Canon 1Ds Mark 1, and its huge and heavy and cumbersome and draws a lot of attention.
    I come from an OM-1 film camera via a Canon 20D which had the worst colour fringing on its kit 18-55 lens, that I bought the 1Ds and a 17-40 f4L and love the full frame resolution. But (isn't there always a but?) I'm suffering for my art carrying this monster around and its getting left at home in preference for my Canon G9. So.. my question is, will a GF1 replace the 1Ds in quality? They have near enough the same 11-12MP, but the 1Ds does that with full frame. I enjoy 80% landscapes/architecture, and the other 20% is childrens sports - but thats optional, the G9 has been just as useful at that - I'm just a proud parent not the team photographer! If I did go to a GF1 can I get an adapter for my better EOS lenses?

    looking forward to the advice
     
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Auntiepode

    Auntiepode Mu-43 Regular

    Welcome. I'm in the Bay of Islands. I'm keeping my Canon 5D. It has it's advantages, but it's a load to carry around. My walking around camera is now a GF1. In general, EOS lenses aren't a good fit for m4/3 because they don't have manual aperture control. The older Canon FD lenses do and are reasonable to adapt. I've only been using the GF1 a few months, but so far I've found it quite excellent for perhaps 90% of what I like to photograph. For a serious landscape adventure, I'll lug the Canon. (Sometime it feels like lugging a cannon.) Whether it's enough quality for your needs, may I suggest browsing the galleries here?
     
  3. Letrow

    Letrow Mu-43 Regular

    35
    Jun 16, 2010
    Netherlands
    Hi Mac. I have the same issue as you. Want to move to 43, but am still using a big Nikon at the moment.
    I am rooting for the GF2 and imagine that it will be perfect for me:rolleyes: 
     
  4. bilzmale

    bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

    Hello and welcome - I'm pretty sure there is an incompatability with EOS and micro 4/3 or 4/3.
     
  5. BBW

    BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

    macboy, welcome to the forums here on mu-43.com!

    I'd like to suggest that you start a new thread asking your questions about the adaptability of your Canon lenses on the Adapted Lens forum. If you're 100% sure you want the GF1, you can skip the Adapted Lenses forum and post directly on the Panasonic forum. Either of these forums will bring you more "eyes"...

    I hope you'll get some more feedback and feel confident about whatever camera you decide to go with.:thumbup:
     
  6. Herman

    Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

    Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hello, welcome here. Glad you found us, thanks. I'm sure the GF1 is a great camera.
     
  7. hmpws

    hmpws Mu-43 Regular

    177
    Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    'Hello' back from Auckland!
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.