Hi from Miami! Lurking to find out more about M4/3

Hotahseh

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
JC
Hey guys,

Recently just found out about M4/3 literally a week ago. Always knew about the Sony line only because of the fact i own a A900. Currently have been in need of a second body and was researching extensively about mirror less 4/3 specifically. Love the idea of light compact camera with equal capabilities as my full frame.

I already feel an addiction to this kind of camera and style without even owning one. :biggrin:

Would greatly appreciate some guidance to a correct path i should take with this.

I honestly don't want to use the NEX system, not a fan of the camera :redface::frown:

Was thinking of starting off with an E-P2 or old body of the sort and probably focus on good glass.

Well anyways, i hope to learn a lot from other shooters here

Thanks

-J.C

Art

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'd suggest to start with E-PM2 w/one or two lenses if you are on a budget. Older bodies have poor noise and DR performance with slow AF, way to get disappointed in m43. E-PM2 gives you same IQ and AF speed as the latest bodies at a very low price (<$200?).

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
One of the things to consider is what you are used to using and what you are prepared to give up. With the Pen range, while excellent cameras, you either give up the EVF or settle on an rather large attachment with the VF-4 that kind of defeats the purpose. In many ways, the E-M10 is the pick of the bunch regarding size and performance, especially when compared to any of the Pen versions and would probably be very complimentary to the Sony.

E-M1 and Sony A900:

es.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

E-M10 and Sony A900:

ems.JPG

E-P5 and Sony A900:

eps.JPG

Hotahseh

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
JC
I'd suggest to start with E-PM2 w/one or two lenses if you are on a budget. Older bodies have poor noise and DR performance with slow AF, way to get disappointed in m43. E-PM2 gives you same IQ and AF speed as the latest bodies at a very low price (<$200?).

Heres where someone like me will start to get confused...based off i would believe they would be similar ? Theres a high difference between EPL and PM? Im aware of the "M" referring to as "mini" correct?

and i actually found the bodies of these cameras fairly cheap to anything i have ever spent before, Found EPL5 body for $350....Wouldnt it be wiser for that body instead maybe? The decisions!! :confused::dash2:
One of the things to consider is what you are used to using and what you are prepared to give up. With the Pen range, while excellent cameras, you either give up the EVF or settle on an rather large attachment with the VF-4 that kind of defeats the purpose. In many ways, the E-M10 is the pick of the bunch regarding size and performance, especially when compared to any of the Pen versions and would probably be very complimentary to the Sony.

E-M1 and Sony A900:

View attachment 32663

E-M10 and Sony A900:

View attachment 32665

E-P5 and Sony A900:

View attachment 32664

My lord the difference!!! I knew my camera was a monster (at least to me) but wow, this is just on another level. To top it off i have the battery grip constantly on when shooting events etc...Its beginning to be very tiresome lugging the a900 around

marcsitkin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Marc Sitkin
Maybe you can rent an EM1 or EM5 and a favorite focal length lens for a weekend and do a walk around with it, see how it feels and works for you. Borrowlenses.com rents the Olympus line.

spatulaboy

I'm not really here
Real Name
Vin
Yah know... m43 was the first mirrorless system, but people always know about NEX first. :frown:

Anyways welcome to the forums and I would recommend one of the OM-Ds over the Pens myself. If you do any sort of video work along with stills, you better check out the Panasonic GH4 while you're at it. :)

Hotahseh

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
JC
Maybe you can rent an EM1 or EM5 and a favorite focal length lens for a weekend and do a walk around with it, see how it feels and works for you. Borrowlenses.com rents the Olympus line.

Yah know... m43 was the first mirrorless system, but people always know about NEX first. :frown:

Anyways welcome to the forums and I would recommend one of the OM-Ds over the Pens myself. If you do any sort of video work along with stills, you better check out the Panasonic GH4 while you're at it. :)

Yea I wouldn't say I prioritize video, so the fact that I'm getting any type of video is a huge plus for me. I think it may be wiser to try out the borrowed lens before i fully invest, though i really do like the fact the PENs are so small...

i would need to compare them to the OM-D bodies for sure to see how they feel, i like the range finder kinda look :reface:

Also another question, when it comes to comparing panasonic and olympus, I was only really noticing difference in the fact that olympus had stability inside? if so i really like that feature more due to the fact I'm coming from Sony that has steady shot.

Bokeaji

Gonzo's Dad O.*
id stick to starting with the system with one of the faster focussing cameras
ep3+
its a world of difference in focus speed

Hyubie

Unique like everyone else
Real Name
Herbert
Heres where someone like me will start to get confused...based off i would believe they would be similar ? Theres a high difference between EPL and PM? Im aware of the "M" referring to as "mini" correct?

and i actually found the bodies of these cameras fairly cheap to anything i have ever spent before, Found EPL5 body for $350....Wouldnt it be wiser for that body instead maybe? The decisions!! :confused::dash2:

My lord the difference!!! I knew my camera was a monster (at least to me) but wow, this is just on another level. To top it off i have the battery grip constantly on when shooting events etc...Its beginning to be very tiresome lugging the a900 around

The E-M5, E-M10, E-M1 is the OM-D line (E-M5 being the original, EM1 the latest and greatest, and EM10 being sort of mini-EM1).
The Pen Line has three subsets: E-Px (with the E-P5 having same sensor as the OM-D line), E-PLx (Pen Lite, with the E-PL5 having the latest OM-D sensor), and E-PMx (the Pen Mini, eith the E-PM2 having the latest OMD sensor). All other older-generation Pens have the older sensor (and overall "older" performance), and that's what Art was referring to. :smile:

marcsitkin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Marc Sitkin
Keep in mind that the OMD-s have both rear touch screens and eyelevel finders, while the Pen's do not have eye level finders, but accept add on EVF's. If your used to EVF's the OMD might be more suitable.

Hotahseh

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
JC
The E-M5, E-M10, E-M1 is the OM-D line (E-M5 being the original, EM1 the latest and greatest, and EM10 being sort of mini-EM1).
The Pen Line has three subsets: E-Px (with the E-P5 having same sensor as the OM-D line), E-PLx (Pen Lite, with the E-PL5 having the latest OM-D sensor), and E-PMx (the Pen Mini, eith the E-PM2 having the latest OMD sensor). All other older-generation Pens have the older sensor (and overall "older" performance), and that's what Art was referring to. :smile:

Keep in mind that the OMD-s have both rear touch screens and eyelevel finders, while the Pen's do not have eye level finders, but accept add on EVF's. If your used to EVF's the OMD might be more suitable.

Oh i see i see!!! great points here, it may also be worth just saving a little more for the OMD bodies if i can get a decent price...Not going to lie, i am nervous jumping into M4/3. But makes sense that OMD will be the way to go. lighter regardless as compared to carrying my work horse. anything actually will be much lighter to travel with.

Really appreciate all the responses I'm getting, really friendly site! need to subscribe :thumbup:

spatulaboy

I'm not really here
Real Name
Vin
What are you nervous about? Just curious. There are obviously a lot of satisfied users pro and non-pro a like.

Hotahseh

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
JC
What are you nervous about? Just curious. There are obviously a lot of satisfied users pro and non-pro a like.

I guess it's an attachment I have toward the brand so since it's new world with lenses etc. I think it's more excitement more than nervousness haha. But really going in with my head up and want to have a good experience and would hope I will be convinced to move away from big bodies

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
I was using Canon, had 3 bodies and some decent lenses. An amazon vendor had a hot sale on the Oly Pen E-PL1 including "kit" lens for $189, a good "try it out price for me". First thing I HAD to order was an external EVF as an LCD is really not easy to use out in daylight.

Next came the 14mm and 20mm Lumix "pancake" lenses and I was sold! Photography was FUN again.

I sold off the Canon stuff.

From there I went Panasonic as my main focus is video/motion picture, now I have a pair of Panasonic GH3s (one listed for sale in the buy/sell section), a GX7, an Olympus OMD E-M5, and a selection of lenses that do most anything I need. Bodies are lighter, lenses are MUCH lighter and I don't feel like I'm playing "pack mule" anymore.

OMD E-M5 bodies are showing up for $500 to $650 on this site, mine was $650 and had only 736 shutter clicks on it. I got a used GX7 body for $639 from B&H's used dept and it only had 270 shutter clicks. If you can go that much look at the Panasonic G6 brand new with "kit" lens for $647.

It is very lightweight and gets rave reviews from most owners. Does very good still photos, has a built in viewfinder, and outstanding video capabilities. Perhaps the best m4/3 bargain going right now.

Hope all this helps.

flamingfish

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Emily
OM-D E-M5 bodies are going for $500-ish used, maybe a little less if you get lucky. You'll find a lot of praise for the E-M5 here. If you want to save a few dollars on the body to have more money for glass, look into it and see if it suits you. You'll find quite a few E-M5s for sale with a battery grip, too, although I couldn't tell you how much that adds to the price.

Hotahseh

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
JC
I was using Canon, had 3 bodies and some decent lenses. An amazon vendor had a hot sale on the Oly Pen E-PL1 including "kit" lens for $189, a good "try it out price for me". First thing I HAD to order was an external EVF as an LCD is really not easy to use out in daylight.

Next came the 14mm and 20mm Lumix "pancake" lenses and I was sold! Photography was FUN again.

I sold off the Canon stuff.

From there I went Panasonic as my main focus is video/motion picture, now I have a pair of Panasonic GH3s (one listed for sale in the buy/sell section), a GX7, an Olympus OMD E-M5, and a selection of lenses that do most anything I need. Bodies are lighter, lenses are MUCH lighter and I don't feel like I'm playing "pack mule" anymore.

OMD E-M5 bodies are showing up for $500 to $650 on this site, mine was $650 and had only 736 shutter clicks on it. I got a used GX7 body for $639 from B&H's used dept and it only had 270 shutter clicks. If you can go that much look at the Panasonic G6 brand new with "kit" lens for $647.

It is very lightweight and gets rave reviews from most owners. Does very good still photos, has a built in viewfinder, and outstanding video capabilities. Perhaps the best m4/3 bargain going right now.

Hope all this helps.

OM-D E-M5 bodies are going for $500-ish used, maybe a little less if you get lucky. You'll find a lot of praise for the E-M5 here. If you want to save a few dollars on the body to have more money for glass, look into it and see if it suits you. You'll find quite a few E-M5s for sale with a battery grip, too, although I couldn't tell you how much that adds to the price.

Yea, im gonna pursue this indeed. for right now, i think for me it will be wiser to get the glass before anything, in my experience its always been glass over body. So maybe test the PM2 or E-PL5 maybe and start collecting good quality glass.

Was shopping around already to see how much I'm looking to spend on some glass, and was curious about how well Sigma glass is? I've never used their glass before so wonder if the DN/Art line is worth the investment?

If anyone can point me to a thread maybe, or personal opinion would be great. :smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom