1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hi from Melbourne, Australia

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by joele, Dec 12, 2010.

1. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi all,

I am just in the process of selling up my Canon gear (sold 70-200/f4 L IS this morning) and buying into m43..

So far I have just bought a new G2 and 20/1.7 as they were only AUD$800 and will see how I go with them and wait until a more pro body comes out, if it does, or get a gh2 when the price drops (I am happy to stay one gen behind on bodies)..

I also plan to buy (as I sell my other gear):
    - Panasonic 7-14mm (bit troubled abou the lack of filter thread for NDs)
    - Voigtlander 40/1.4 with m adapter (voigt is a major reason for my switch)
    - I want something comparable to my outgoing 70-200 L IS, but I may need to settle on the 45-200mm for the medium term? Hopefully this hole in the lineup gets addressed with a better zoom or even a good 100 or 150mm prime?
    - Will wait on the pana 14mm and just see what the oly 12mm is like.
    - Eventually I will also grab the Voigt 25/0.95 (might be 6-12 months down the track)

I do have access to a decent collection of other leica & voigt m mount lenses to try out in the meantime..

Hope to post some pics soon, when my camera turns up.. :rolleyes: 

EDIT: Ohh the reason for the switch, well there is the weight issue, and secondly I also would like to be able to use m-mount voigtlander primes, so pana provides a poor mans m8 I guess...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    Hi and welcome neighbour!

enjoy the G2 and i'm sure you will find this forum quite helpful!

Look forward to seeing those pics :) 

3. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

Hi Joele,
    and welcome from another Victorian. Like you I changed to mu43 last year, from full frame DSLR with L series canon lenses. The weight difference is amazing. It has taken a while to get used to the smaller gear, and the lack of an optical viewfinder. I think it is a personal thing, you will either love the format or hate it. I read on this forum and others that people have invested the mu43 gear, and then sold it to return to DSLR. I intend to travel both locally and overseas and am intending to stay mu43 permanently. Do you realize that the 45-200 is effectively a 90-400 if compared with full frame DSLR, so you will find it a great lens. I brought an adaptor for my old Canon FD lenses and although you miss auto focus I am pleased to use all my old lenses. Once again welcome and best wishes.
    DUD

4. Hi, and welcome to mu-43.

Manual focus lenses are great fun to use on a m4/3 camera so you should enjoy using your Leicas and Voightlanders on the G2. However, when it comes to telephoto lenses do not expect the Panny 45-200mm to be quite up to the standards of an EF 70-200mm f4L IS!

5. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah I worry about that, but I am just selling the 70-200 and getting the g2+20+m/mount adpater for the time being and will see how I like it. Post xmas I can start selling off the rest of my Canon gear if I am happy, otherwise I haven't lost too much..

Fair enough too, it is just a matter of whether I can make do until something better comes along.. if it does?

Actually long tele is less of a focus than wide to shorter tele range for me so should be OK.. I don't mind manual so hopefully voigtlander do a long lens for 4/3 next like a 180/4 (I can dream), and I could always adapt a Voigtlander 90/3.5 (m mount) for the time being..

6. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Welcome on board. There are quite a few Australians here and the more the merrier.

Cheers

PeterB666

7. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah Giday mate. Coooeee from Queensland

8. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome joele from WA.

9. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hello and welcome Joele from Holland !

10. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    G'day mate and welcome
    I'm down Se suburbs :thumbup:

11. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Joele! It seems that you've already made yourself at home.:grouphug: Congrats on the G2 and all those great lenses you either have or will have to use with it.:wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.