Hi from Melbourne, Australia

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by joele, Dec 12, 2010.

1. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi all,

I am just in the process of selling up my Canon gear (sold 70-200/f4 L IS this morning) and buying into m43..

So far I have just bought a new G2 and 20/1.7 as they were only AUD$800 and will see how I go with them and wait until a more pro body comes out, if it does, or get a gh2 when the price drops (I am happy to stay one gen behind on bodies)..

I also plan to buy (as I sell my other gear):
    - Panasonic 7-14mm (bit troubled abou the lack of filter thread for NDs)
    - Voigtlander 40/1.4 with m adapter (voigt is a major reason for my switch)
    - I want something comparable to my outgoing 70-200 L IS, but I may need to settle on the 45-200mm for the medium term? Hopefully this hole in the lineup gets addressed with a better zoom or even a good 100 or 150mm prime?
    - Will wait on the pana 14mm and just see what the oly 12mm is like.
    - Eventually I will also grab the Voigt 25/0.95 (might be 6-12 months down the track)

I do have access to a decent collection of other leica & voigt m mount lenses to try out in the meantime..

Hope to post some pics soon, when my camera turns up.. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Ohh the reason for the switch, well there is the weight issue, and secondly I also would like to be able to use m-mount voigtlander primes, so pana provides a poor mans m8 I guess...
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Hi and welcome neighbour!

enjoy the G2 and i'm sure you will find this forum quite helpful!

Look forward to seeing those pics :)
  3. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

Hi Joele,
    and welcome from another Victorian. Like you I changed to mu43 last year, from full frame DSLR with L series canon lenses. The weight difference is amazing. It has taken a while to get used to the smaller gear, and the lack of an optical viewfinder. I think it is a personal thing, you will either love the format or hate it. I read on this forum and others that people have invested the mu43 gear, and then sold it to return to DSLR. I intend to travel both locally and overseas and am intending to stay mu43 permanently. Do you realize that the 45-200 is effectively a 90-400 if compared with full frame DSLR, so you will find it a great lens. I brought an adaptor for my old Canon FD lenses and although you miss auto focus I am pleased to use all my old lenses. Once again welcome and best wishes.
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi, and welcome to mu-43.

Manual focus lenses are great fun to use on a m4/3 camera so you should enjoy using your Leicas and Voightlanders on the G2. However, when it comes to telephoto lenses do not expect the Panny 45-200mm to be quite up to the standards of an EF 70-200mm f4L IS!
  5. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah I worry about that, but I am just selling the 70-200 and getting the g2+20+m/mount adpater for the time being and will see how I like it. Post xmas I can start selling off the rest of my Canon gear if I am happy, otherwise I haven't lost too much..

Fair enough too, it is just a matter of whether I can make do until something better comes along.. if it does?

Actually long tele is less of a focus than wide to shorter tele range for me so should be OK.. I don't mind manual so hopefully voigtlander do a long lens for 4/3 next like a 180/4 (I can dream), and I could always adapt a Voigtlander 90/3.5 (m mount) for the time being..
  6. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Welcome on board. There are quite a few Australians here and the more the merrier.

7. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah Giday mate. Coooeee from Queensland
  8. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome joele from WA.
  9. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hello and welcome Joele from Holland !
  10. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    G'day mate and welcome
    I'm down Se suburbs :thumbup:
  11. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Joele! It seems that you've already made yourself at home.:grouphug: Congrats on the G2 and all those great lenses you either have or will have to use with it.:wink: