1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hi from Israel

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by phazeman, Dec 27, 2011.

1. phazeman

phazeman New to Mu-43

Dec 25, 2011
    Israel
    Hi All

I really LOVE this forum and been reading here for about some time. it's just took me some time to register... :)
    Right now i am "in the middle" between cameras. i sold my 50D with both lenses i've had (28-75 F/2.8 from Tamron and Canon EF 50mm F/1.4), the flash and am thinking of moving to the M43 system. The biggest and heaviest consideration of mine was the total weight of the system and the size. I shot my kids in a party recently and came back home with a "broken" back and hurting hands. took me more then 1 day to recover from that "party". And that happen after almost a year i didn't use my camera. So i decided that this is a waste of my money and my talent (since i rarely take the camera with me lately because of the weight and size) and decided to go smaller, smoother and sexier with the M43 system. It's not a 5 minutes decision... i've been thinking about it for about 1-1.5 years already, especially after a day trip to the old city of Jerusalem, when i was fully loaded with all my equipment and was struggling through the small streets of the old city, i saw a nice man (i think he was a tourist) that was walking around with a small Oly (probably E-P1), a nice little lens with a sexy Leica-like shade and shooting photos with a big smile on his face, without any additional weight on his back at ALL !!! and i thought to myself - DAMN... he will probably get better photos then i will... :)

Anyway... i have a little problem here. and i need advice ! I hope to get some information from here :)

I'm a portraitist. I shoot portraits of people and children about 90-95% of my time . Mostly at my home near a window. but sometimes i do some home studio shots as well (small strobes with umbrellas). You can see some of my photos on my flickr page

As you can see, my quality standards are pretty high. I love details, i love quality. I shoot 100% RAW. I shoot Medium Format sometimes as well..

Do you think i should move to M43 system ?
    Or stay with DSLR (get a new EOS 7D or used 5D MKII) ?

If M43 - do you think Panasonic GX1 is the best choice for me (hence the new sensor and better noise handling) ? Or any other system will suit me better ? Unfortunately i really hate the look of the Sony NEX systems and as i've read, the lenses there are really not so "good".

Which lenses should i get ? A friend of mine told me to get the kit (the old one since it's much cheaper) + Panasonic 20mm F/1.7 and Olympus 45mm F/1.8. Is it enough for me ? or should i add something ? Off course i will have to get the viewfinder...

I hope it's not too many questions for the first time :)
    Thanks a lot in advance for your answers !

Michael

2. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    45mm f1.8 <- very good worthwhile purchase

20mm f1.7 <- if you want highest quality skip it and get the pana/Leica 25mm f1.4 it is a fantastic lens for its price and noticeably better IMO than the 20mm.

The best kit lens imo (having owned them all from oly and pana is the original 14-45mm, not the cheapest kit but the best in my opinion.

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Michael - lots of ex-dslr users here and most are happy with mu-43 especially as the lens choices continues to grow (Joel has mentioned a few).

4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Having the best primes as mentioned above also means sticking with a Panasonic body. They may never fix the 'rattlesnake' issue with Oly bodies. (do search if you have not already read all about it here)

Personally I am regretting a bit that I went the Oly route. Nice camera but could be orphaned soon. You would probably want to think hard about the form factor. The GH2 has lots of direct controls. Everyone is hoping there is a GH3 in the works.

I'm reticent regarding the GX1. Quality issues with the build. There is a thread over this over on dpreview.

:smile:

PS: Welcome.

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Well, is there something you feel you are NEEDING from m43? To be honest the main advantage of it is size relative to more traditional DSLRs. I love my m43 gear but IQ wise something like a Canon 7D or 5D mk II will be better. That said, Olympus and Canon offer some terrific bodies in small packages and if that appeals to you then by all means come join the party. The new Olympus 45/1.8 is an excellent lens by all accounts and give you a 90/1.8 (in full frame equivalent) and would be an excellent lens for portraits.