1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hi from England

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Dewi, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Dewi

Dewi Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    Lancashire, England
    Dewi
    Hi folks, I've been a member over on Serious Compacts for a few weeks now, since trying micro 4 thirds with my new Olympus E-PL5 and found some very nice people over there. Now that I'm getting into this Micro 4/3 thing I thought I'd sign up here as well. Bit about me, I've been taking photos for most of my life - well since I was about 10 years old anyway. That was over 50 years ago, so I obviously grew up with film and Box Brownies and on through Rangefinders, SLRs, Medium Format & digital which has been mainly DSLR with a few compacts thrown in, and now I start my new adventure with M43. Through most of the '90s I ran my own photo business, covering Weddings, Commercial and Motorsport.

Now retired I shoot purely for pleasure and have developed a keen interest in travel photography, for which the little Pen is perfect, I love it. I never usually get that attached to my cameras, I see them as just a tool to do a job but I am growing ever fonder of the Olympus. This is mostly what I get up to these days - there are also a few shots on there scanned from prints of quite a few years ago.
    http://www.dewisant-photography.net/

Looking forward to chatting to some of you and seeing your photos

D :smile:

2. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Welcome! I also started out with a Box Brownie over 50 years ago and used much the same gear as you over the years. I have thoroughly enjoyed the switch to u4/3. I am currently shooting with a GH3 and GX7. I am sure you will have great fun with your E-PL5.

Mike

3. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Hello Dewi, how goes it down in storm lashed Englandshire?

I'm about as unserious as it gets but I do love trying to capture those reflected (refracted?) photons in an amateurishly interesting way. However, imagine my surprise when the results are quite different from what I expected! :wink:

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome aboard! Glad to have you with us. :smile:

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Some cracking shots on your website Dewi. Looking forward to seeing some from your new E-PL5. It's a great camera. In some ways I prefer it to my E -M5.

6. Dewi

Dewi Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    Lancashire, England
    Dewi
    Thanks to everybody for the nice welcomes, I'll be around making myself known soon. At the moment I'm fitting a new bathroom here at "Chez Dewi" which has turned out to be somewhat more time consuming than I'd originally planned. The weather is pretty grim here anyway at the moment with poor light, so hopefully I'll be all finshed by the time things buck up a bit. :smile:

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome, Dewi from yet another former Brownie HawkEye owner.

Good luck on the bathroom renovation!

Regards,

Jim

8. Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Alan
    Hey Dewi, you following me around the interweb ? :)

Congrats on the Pen - looking forward to some shots of the mx5 with it :2thumbs:

9. Dewi

Dewi Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    Lancashire, England
    Dewi
    Ha ha... what are you doing here buggerlugs? Nice to have a familiar name to chat to, didn't know you were into photography, wotcha got camera wise?

I've just just gone m43 after the new year, bought a little E PL5 Oly to take on my travels, we're off on another Euro roadtrip in June in the Mazda and I'm getting a bit fed up toting the Canon DSLR around everywhere. I'm very pleased with the little PEN it's a nice little camera. I'm on the lookout for a few legacy lenses for it, I fancy going back to my roots with a bit of manual picture taking :smile:

Can't believe you've turned up here .... nice surprise. Are you over on Serious Compacts as well?

For anyone who hasn't, got a clue what I'm rabbiting about, Bloater is on a car forum I also use. Small world.

10. Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Alan
    Yes, photography and cars are my vices. I change cars almost as often as cameras!

Love micro four thirds, ditched the dslr's years ago and have had quite a few different m43 bodies and lenses since the GF1 I got when it came out in 2009. Currently got a GX1 with the 14mm and 20mm primes as the size (or lack of) suits me perfectly.

Road trip sounds great - where you off to this year?

11. Dewi

Dewi Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    Lancashire, England
    Dewi
    Same here - only I have a thing for motorbikes as well. I've been into photography seriously since i wasa kid.

Mostly France this year, Starting off in the North with nights at Honfleur, Mont St Michel and the Loire. I've booked us a gite for a week down in the Dordogne, after that we're heading further south to see a mate who lives near Perpignan, then we'll be popping over the Pyrenees into Spain to see another mate who lives about 30 miles from Barcelona. After that we'll be heading right across the south of France to the Verdon Gorge area before driving up to the Vercors and then a few days north and home. 3 weeks this time.

I'm still trying to "bond" with this Sport Black, I like it but if I'm totally honest I preferred driving the 1.8 - it felt much tighter and handled far better. I've driven a few other 2.0 litre cars now and they all feel the same to me in comparison to my 1.8 - i.e a bit soft. No doubt I'll get used to it eventually but If i ever get another MX5 it'll be another ragtop, they just look so much nicer I think. :smile:

12. Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Alan
    Oh no, don't get me back on motorbikes - only just got them out of my system :)

Itinerary sounds great - really enjoyed your other mx5 road trip photos from previous years.

I'm loving my PRHT - everything is just perfect - apart from the weather !

13. Dewi

Dewi Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    Lancashire, England
    Dewi
    :smile: You never get bikes out of your system, Alan.

14. Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Alan
    I've had a few over the years - Suzuki 600 Bandit, 1200 Bandit, Yamaha XJR1300, Suzuki VL800 cruiser, Yamaha XR400 crosser, Suzuki GT250X7 project and Honda CX500 Cafe Racer projects...

The MX5 with the roof down, wife beside me and the sun shining is close enough for me these days :)

15. Welcome from Texas.