Hi from England

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by abeetz, Jul 2, 2012.

1. abeetz

abeetz Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Telford, Shrops, UK
    Andy
    Hey!

I've been lurking for a while, since just before getting my G2 actually. I found a lot of help on the boards with respect to adapted lenses, olde worlde flashguns with scary voltages and general tips/tricks.

I'm slowly getting a kit together, recently added a tripod and I've got a Cactus AF50 on order. My two adapted lenses were dead cheap and I've loved getting to grips with them.

My first real 'shoot' was at rounds 10,11,12 of the 2012 BTCC at Oulton Park, gallery here http://sdrv.ms/L8efrS. Please forgive the amount! That's what I saved from over 400! Some info on those, all shot RAW on following lenses:

P1000210-P1000239 - Kit lens 14-42
    P1000240-P1000305 - Olympus Zuiko 50mm f/1.8
    P1000307-P1000599 - Vivitar 28-200mm f/3.5 Macro

All handheld! I was surprised I managed to a) get any in focus and b) that my arms didn't get too tired holding that Vivitar.

Always open to critical advice!

Cheers

Andy

2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Welcome!

I'm pretty new here myself, but I've found this forum to be a very welcoming and helpful community.

BTW, I lived in London and Epsom, Surrey for ~5 years in the '70s. My dad immigrated to the US (where he met my mom), and I have relatives and friends in both England and Scotland. I'm really looking forward to crossing "the pond" for a visit someday soon. :smile:

Again, welcome!

3. abeetz

abeetz Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Telford, Shrops, UK
    Andy
    Thanks for the welcome :)

You have some nice cats and I love the close pic you have as your avatar. I have 3 kittens, but it's proving difficult to get an photos of them that I would share.

We want canvas prints of them, so the difficulty in shooting them is proving somewhat frustrating at the moment. I'm hoping with the tripod and bounce flash that I'll be able to get something useable soon!

4. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Kittens in poor light...shoot them sleeping, they're gorgeous asleep! If they're on the ground put the camera on the ground too...i got some nice ones a couple of years back of them asleep on beanbags and chairs.

As for running about...outside in the garden, they look like tiny tigers!

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome! :smile:

6. abeetz

abeetz Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Telford, Shrops, UK
    Andy
    So we like cat photos?

Here's Weston, born with a portosystemic shunt and has scared us more times than I care to remember.

Original taken with the camera on my HTC One X
    7497684260_2c9bd37d4f.
    Weston-canvas_Snapseed by AndyBeetz, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the forum, Andy!

8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thank you! I took my avatar photo using my LX-5. Ben was sleepy and let me lie on the bed next to him and shoot away. :smile:

My two-year-old girls (sisters) are still very difficult to catch, especially Ella, who's black -- and consequently already difficult to photograph! :eek: I just received the 45/1.8 lens today, and I think this will really help. I won't have to get so close, and the extra light will help too.

I shoot a lot and keep a few. :redface:

9. abeetz

abeetz Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Telford, Shrops, UK
    Andy
    I look forward to seeing some more shots with this lens. It's well outside my budget probably for the foreseeable future. But I'm happy with the lenses I have right now.

I was hoping my Gadget Infinity order would arrive today but looking at the tracking, my package went the exact opposite direction after landing in the country :). I won't have much chance to practice with the Cactus AF50 flash gun before our holiday.

Ah well, when it does turn up I'll have fun trying to get some nice shots of the kittens

10. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Welcome!