Hi from downunder ... from a recent MFT convert.

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Keith, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Keith

Keith Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Hi all,

I see a lot of familiar faces here after a few days of lurking so thought I'd actually post something and break the ice.

I'm an RFF regular for many years now who finally took the dive into MFT when the OMD was released. To be honest if the OMD had never happened I may have stayed away from MFT because I was convinced in my mind that it was no more than a toy format and didn't really warrant the attention it was getting ... small strange sized sensor and all that and I didn't really think much of the cameras on offer! :redface:

Well ... I love my OM film bodies and Zuiko lenses like HCB loved his cravat so it was a no brainer when they actually released the OMD. I resisted for all of about two weeks then bought a black OMD with the 14-42 kit lens which to be honest I really didn't like and it damned near put me off the system. I'm not a zoooom person and I didn't much like the rendering of lens or the lack of control over depth of field due to the slowness. I am a self confessed lens speed junkie so it was not long before I picked up a used PanaLeica 25mm f1.4 from the RFF classifieds. For me that transformed the camera and what I thought may have been an error in judgement turned out to be a sound purchase after all! (phew!)

I love the little Oly and I love it more with a prime lens and a fast one at that so I have now ordered the Voigtlander 17.5mm f0.95 and that should be in my eager hands any day now. These two lenses should pretty well do it for me as it gives me my two favourite focal lengths ... 50mm and 35mm. I tend to focus the Panny manually most of the time so the Voigtlander 17.5mm will sit well with me. I suspect at 6400 ISO and F0.95 photos of the inside of a cow should be feasible! :biggrin:

Cheers ... Keith :smile:

ps ... Oh yes, I did get an OM to MFT adapter as I have a swag of very nice Zuiko glass in the cupboard from 24mm to 200mm.
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome! I suspect you'll find the :43: format to be a pleasant surprise. Enjoy! :biggrin:
  3. Keith

Keith Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Thanks Bob ... I'm already starting to appreciate it. It reminds of the 6x7 format from my P67. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    G'day, Keith!
  5. Keith

Keith Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012

G'day Mark! :smile:
  6. tubedriver

tubedriver Mu-43 Regular