1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hi from Canada's Capital!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by MegaPixelTravel, May 14, 2011.

1. MegaPixelTravel

MegaPixelTravel Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    Hi All!

I've joined this forum so I can start asking questions about M4/3 (or as I call it MFT as its easier to write on my iPad).

Currently I don't have a MFT camera as I'm waiting for the one I ordered (Panasonic GH2) to arrive... apparently I may be waiting a while.

My planned uses for this camera is for Travel (I run a travel blogsite) and for making movies. As I mainly do photography using Nikon DSLR's I've ordered the Nikon to MFT adapter so I can use all my current lenses.

I suspect my main lens on this camera will be the Noct-Nikkor 58mm f/1.2 (although that is now a 116mm lens).

I'm also looking at getting...
    14-140mm kit lens - apparently good for video and a wide range
    20 f/1.7 for a wide fast lens - I know someone who is going to sell me one

What I'm still looking for is a fast wide lens to work on this camera as my nikon lenses don't go so fast when shooting wide (f/4 when less than 28mm).

Cheers,

Graeme

• Like Like x 2
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Welcome!

Not sure if it's wide enough or fast enough for you, but I love the Pana 14/2.5.

• Like Like x 1
  3. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Welcome, Graeme. There're a couple of us here from Ottawa.

4. MegaPixelTravel

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    I'm considering the 14mm f/2.5 however I was hoping for something a tad faster. I just don't know if something else exists within a suitable price range.

For me, my Nikon-F-Mount gear is mainly f/2.8 covering 28mm-200mm 60mm except for the following faster lenses (and some slower not going to mention tele-zooms and teleprimes)...
    58mm f1.2 Noct-Nikkor
    50mm f1.8 Nikkor
    50mm f1.4 Takumar
    28mm f2.8 Makinon
    Wider than 28 and we are taking f3.5 and f4 lens or fish eyes (10.5mm and 15mm).

Still need to do a test on the Takumar & Makinon on my Nikon to see if they still have good IQ, but they were free for me (found in an old pentax box of my Dad's).

PS. My main two lenses are Pro Tokina's, they are full metal built-like-tank construction so it will be interesting to mount them to the small MFT body.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I don't know of any lenses that will give you wide and faster than f/2.5 with good performance, although rumors have been circulating about an upcoming high end Oly ultrawide prime.

• Like Like x 1
  6. turbodieselvw

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Unfortunately, at present the 14/2.5 is the only wide and fast m43 lens. I, too, would prefer something wider and faster but the price of something like that would probably be fairly high.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MegaPixelTravel

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    Good to know, thanks for the welcome and info.

8. MegaPixelTravel

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    With luck, I will have my GH2 by the weekend and make my formal entry into MFT!

9. MegaPixelTravel

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    Got my GH2 today, after a long 140 minutes to charge the battery I've been running around taking pictures of things around the house as I play with the settings to see how things work and how they work for me.

I'm linking some example photos, they were taken with either...
    Nikkor 10.5 fisheye
    Nikkor 16mm fisheye
    Noct-Nikkor 58mm

Initial feelings is that it's pretty good, but with the metal lenses it tends to be very front heavy, but being manual focus lens my one hand forward does balance it a bit vs. Autofocus holding just the camera.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. turbodieselvw

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    How do you like the handling of the m43 GH2 to your Nikons?

11. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Did you get it with a m43 lens as well?

12. MegaPixelTravel

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    Its a bit different but I'm starting to figure out a method. Just fiddled around with my Nikon flash as well and it works well as well (again manual) but it's does add some weight back into rear of the setup.

I haven't purchased a MFT lens let, the store literally sold the last 20mm they had in stock (I watched it happened as I walked in) so I'm on the list to get one, likely middle of this week.