Hi from Canada

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Jeece, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Jeece

Jeece Mu-43 Rookie

May 7, 2015
    Granby, QC, Canada
    Hi, I took the liberty to join in even though I'm still not an official user! I made a deposit for an E-M10 (silver), along with a 40-150 mm lens a few weeks ago, and I can't wait for it to come in!

Currently using a ten years old Canon S2 bridge camera, I was thinking about changing it for a DSLR for quite a while, but the mirrorless system hooked me... Can't wait to share my captures!

2. O2BanRRT

O2BanRRT Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    Waterloo, Ontario (Canada)
    Jean
    Welcome! from another Cannuck :)

3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Welcome! You'll enjoy it here. This forum is a great place to ask lots of questions - you will no doubt have a learning curve of setting up your new E-M10.

4. Jeece

Jeece Mu-43 Rookie

May 7, 2015
    Granby, QC, Canada
    Thanks for the warm welcome. Finally got my E-M10 two days ago. :biggrin: I've browsed the options and set it up "my way", took a few snapshots for fun but I didn't really had the time to get serious with it yet. Even though I've read lukewarm reviews about the menu system, it doesn't put me off that much as I know I'll feel at home very soon. The physical feel of the camera is wonderful, it has a good, sturdy inspiring weight to it, and the grip is comfortable (though I'm pondering about buying the optional bigger grip). Those are two things that really decided me to go with Olympus instead of the Sony a6000 I was also considering (and other factors/options I've read in reviews). The one advantage the a6000 had (for me) was the faster and continuous auto-focus (a must with kids!). The bigger sensor was a minor plus also (I'm not a pro, and rarely print), but overall I felt the E-M10 was suiting my needs the most.

I was thinking of getting a fast prime lens someday, but then I realized that I could fit a Yashica 50mm 1.9 I have lying around (usually mated to my film Yashica FX-103 that I haven't used in years)... well the result is more than OK for me at the moment!

P6150014-2.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Hello! Yeah, you do want the grip ;) it's heaven.

That yashica seems to perform nicely!

6. Jeece

Jeece Mu-43 Rookie

May 7, 2015
    Granby, QC, Canada
    Will try and order the grip when budget allows... o_O I got the camera as it went down in price, but the accessories (bag, memory cards, filters...) burned a bigger hole in my pocket.

I agree for the Yashica lens, it works great and yields good results. I really need to get used to manual focus though, the camera's zoom-in function helps a lot but the DOF is so shallow at 1.9... I realize when looking at my pics on the computer that focus is not always where I wanted it to be. :blush: Its only technical drawback is that it could be a little bit wider for my current use, but if I ever do portraits it'll come in handy.