1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hi from Cambridge, UK

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Dangermouse, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Dangermouse

Dangermouse Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 20, 2010
    Hi everybody,

I just ordered my first u4/3's camera yesterday and I'm very excited!!

Some time ago I was an avid landscape photographer. I used to own Mamiya MF cameras and live in Scotland just 40 minutes form Loch lomond. I used to love being in the hills and my passion for photography took off from there. I moved back to England for work and personal reasons and now live in Cambridge. I'm afraid I have struggled to feed my apetite with good landscape subjects in this flat land. I sold the MF, bought and sold dSLR's too. Now though, my life has changed. I have more time for photography and feel the desire to photogrpah more than just the landscape. I was not inclined to buy another dSLR and then on a completely unrelated forum I read about the GF1. Amazing body, great lenses, fits in my pocket (almost) and does not cost the Earth!!! A weeks research later and mine is hopefully winging it's way here as I type.

If you are interested to know more about me and see a few older pictures please visit my life blog here:-

Mid-life what?

Otherwise, I look forward to getting involved.

See ya,

David

• Like Like x 2
  2. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hello and welcome David !

3. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Welcome David, and hello from Edinburgh. You'll have a lot of fun with that camera :smile:

All the best,

Colin

4. Optical Thrombosis

Optical Thrombosis Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2010
    You've made a good choice - the combination of DSLR like image quality and control in a compact and flexible package is the reason so many of us love the m4/3 system.

One thing I will say - you will take more pictures, because the camera will go with out you more than a big DSLR ever will!

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

David, congratulations on making your move to the micro four thirds format and welcome! Promise to report back after you've charged the battery and taken your first photos with that GF1. I think you're going to be very happy.:biggrin:

I took a look at your website and can see that your love for landscape is real and will be looking forward to seeing more from you via :43: in the near future!

6. Dangermouse

Dangermouse Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 20, 2010
    The Gf1 is here, the battery is charging and the sun is shining. What a pity I am very busy with work and won't get to use it until Saturday, when it is forcast to be showery.

Happy boy though :)

7. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Hi David and welcome here.....
    You will the compactness of u43 and great IQ :smile::wink:

8. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Yes, it's strange that I also got into :43: almost by accident. I had been aware of the E-P1 but it was so expensive and above all had no EVF that I never considered it as a 2nd camera. Indeed I hadn't expected to get any kind of 2nd camera as a lightweight alternative to my D700 for at least a year. Then by sheer co-incidence I saw an ad for clearance prices on the G1 which I'd barely even heard of. Looked nice so decided to buy. Within two months it was cheerio to all the Nikon stuff apart from a couple of nice legacy lenses (which work a treat) and hello to three more Lumix lenses. 95% happy with the new system which will go up to around 98% probably with the GH2 --come on, there's no such thing as 100%!

Cambridgeshire is not the most exciting place for landscapes but of course with the right lighting and a good composition, you can get stunning photos anywhere. Anyway, welcome to the forum.

David

9. Dangermouse

Dangermouse Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 20, 2010
    So yesterday I went out with the Gf1 for the first time. It was overcast here in Cambridge so not really very good light. Here's one I grabbed though...

<P1000007 - Mu-43 Gallery>

Today, the sun shone so I went to a local National Trust property, Wimpole Hall. All was going well but then there was a "card error" and it stopped writing photos to thecard. I'd left my spare at home.

Got this though...

P1000014 - Mu-43 Gallery

David

10. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Welcome!

11. jonima

jonima Mu-43 Regular

Welcome and hope you will enjoy your Gear!!

Really nice photo's when you.........saw the light!!

Johan

12. pancake

pancake Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2010
    UK south East
    Hello, I am in Cambs too and have a GF1. Happy shooting :)

13. Dangermouse

Dangermouse Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 20, 2010
    Hey Pancake, especially goodto hear from another Cambridge GF1 user. What do you like to shoot and where are your favourite locations near by?

david

14. pancake

pancake Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2010
    UK south East
    Hi, I have not done much shooting in Cambridge, I really should as its a lovely historic town. I mainly take pics of family, holidays and days out. I used to own a Nikon DSLR and lenses but sold all the gear to get the GF1+20mm lens and love the combo, I would not go back to heavy old DSLR gear.