1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hi From Afghanistan!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by TMort, May 14, 2011.

1. TMort

TMort Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2011
    APO USAEUR
    Hello everyone! I look forward to posting and learning from everyone here in the forums. I am on r&r and picked up the epl2 and can't wait to start shooting and practicing, while in Afghanistan with the Army.

I have a Nikon D3100 but wanted something smaller for carrying around there. I am going to pickup the VF2 tomorrow and and kicking around the idea of of the 14-150 lens.

Anyway, that's it for now! =)

• Like Like x 4
  2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Welcome to the forum!

First let me thank you for your service, it's appreciated by all of us at home.

Have fun, look around and ask lots of questions. You'll find plenty of answers hereabouts.

Look forward to seeing some of your ยต43 work.

Cheers from New England, Alan

• Like Like x 1
  3. Welcome to the forum. You've got a nice little camera there.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey TMort

Enjoy your new camera. If you have questions this is the place to find help.

Be safe.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Welcome to the forums. Be well and keep safe!

• Like Like x 1
  6. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Welcome TMort! Do get the 14-150, it's a good-performing nice compact lens.

• Like Like x 1
  7. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    Welcome, be safe over there.

The 14-150 is a very good lens, it is my super light travel setup.

Afghanistan was there back is 2004. Very very interesting scenery over there.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    Welcome, TM!

We would love to see photos from Afghanistan!

I am also a recent convert to a PEN from a Nikon DSLR, for the same reason as you. I love my D90, have gotten some images I really like, but it is too big to carry with me everywhere every day. My E-P2 fits in a jacket or vest pocket, so I have it with me most of the time.

For the PEN, I got a Zuiko Digital 40-150mm f/1.4-5.6 with a MFT converter as my long lens, but I mostly carry it with the kit lens. I would love to have a faster and wider lens, but not ready to spend the $$ for one of the sub-f2 models yet.

Stay safe over there!
    -Steve

• Like Like x 1
  9. TMort

TMort Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2011
    APO USAEUR
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! I definately look forward to posting photos from the new oly, as they come, here on the forum. I picked up the ViewFinder yesterday and love it!

Right now I am debating on whether to get the 14-150mm oly lens or the Panasonic 20mm pancake lens...decisions, decisions! If only I was independently wealthy. ha haa I plan on making the plunge either way tomorrow.

Thanks again and I look forward to getting to know everyone here!
    ps - I forgot to mention that I am in the process of changing my job in the Army to become a full time Photojournalist so I will be taking pics and video for a good while into the future...can't wait until the reclass goes thru! =)

• Like Like x 1
  10. TMort

TMort Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2011
    APO USAEUR
    B&H has the 20mm Pany lens in stock NOW for $379, if you are considering it! I just ordered one! =) Here's the link from this site:

Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 lens at B&H

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Welcome to the site - Please add my thanks for your service and best wishes for your safety!

12. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    Yeah, I've had my eye on that. Not in my budget just yet. I am still playing around with cheaper legacy lenses and adapters right now, so I can forego one of these. What I really want is something wider than the 14mm bottom end of the kit lens, but that is not in the budget either.

Thanks for the link.

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Howdy!
    I'm military too :smile: keep your head down out there!

Anyways, since I know from experience you'll want to travel light, here's my "travel" kit.

1) E-PL2
    2) M. Zuiko 14-150ED
    3) VF-2

14. IronHorseRider

IronHorseRider Mu-43 Rookie

May 5, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Welcome Tmort. :2thumbs:
    I have been in Afghanistan last year, in Camp Stone - Herat.
    Didn't have the oportunity to take to much pictures due to I was in the TOC.
    Enjoy your tour and ............STAY SAFE!