Hi from a new GH2 owner and a couple of first pics

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by granlaw, Nov 25, 2011.

1. granlaw

granlaw Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 13, 2011
    Hi All
    I stumbled on this site when researching MU43 cameras and it's been a fantastic resource for me.

Just sold a 5D & 1DSmk3 along with half a ton of L lenses and replaced it all with a GH2, 14-45, 100-300 and I've got a Summilux 25 1.4 in the post on it's way to me just now :smile:

It's been an interesting transition for me going from Canons top full frame gear to the little GH2 and I've got to say when it first arrived I didn't think I was going to get on with it at all as it just felt like a toy. I've got used to it now and I'm loving it - it's great to have such a light portable and unobtrusive system.

These are literally the first few snaps I've taken with it in anger and it hasn't disappointed. Reading some reviews I was expecting horrendous noise etc. but on the whole it isn't bad - possibly a bit more than I'm used to but not noticeable in print.

• Like Like x 21
  2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Welcome aboard! Glad you are enjoying the GH2! It's a great camera. Great photos too!
  3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Welcome. Beautiful shots. And stunning processing.

4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Welcome and great shots :smile:
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Very nice. Welcome.
  6. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    welcome. Do you feel you get the same IQ from GH2 as your previous cameras ?
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Better not tell the Canon folks that you sold a boat load of "L" lenses for Micro Four Thirds....:biggrin:
  8. PSimmons

PSimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Central Florida
    all super but the shot of the dog is a different class
  9. granlaw

granlaw Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 13, 2011
    Thanks all :smile:

To be honest - No, BUT when balancing cost, portability and the fact I'm using a camera for fun instead of shooting paid weddings the MFT system wins hands down for me.
    No doubt about it that full frame files have more range and a depth to them that MFT doesn't have but for personal use I think there are too many Cons required to achieve that extra few % and the ultimate 35mm image quality

I'm not a pixel peeper or gear junkie and to me all that matters is print output or web viewing a photo. In this context the GH2 file may not be quite at the same standard as very pricey full frame or possibly the latest APS-C sensors but in reality theres probably not that much in it at all.

I always shoot RAW and the first files I looked at on the Mac appeared very soft and lifeless compared to FF. I ran my usual processing on the files and the result was really disappointing and I thought I'd be selling it shortly.

After spending a bit of time working out what suited the GH2 files I'm now very pleased with what this system can produce and it's certainly not being sold.

Once Ive had some more time with the GH2 I may give some real feedback and compare pics from my Canon and GH2 - without pixel peeping it probably would be difficult to differentiate them I'd guess

• Like Like x 4
  10. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Big G'day from Australia Grant, welcome aboard.

Mate noting that you're not a gear junkie - and that's an inspiration to me and a few others on here I'm sure :blush: - can I ask what :43: glass you have, or are working towards, as a satisfactory line-up for your GH2? Be very interested to know what you see as 'approximating' your old L line-up for personal work.

Can't wait to see more photos!
  11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I love your dog (if it's yours).
  12. granlaw

granlaw Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 13, 2011

As far as glass goes at the moment I've got the 14-45 which seems to be a real bargain considering it's overall sharpness. I've also got the 100-300 which has really impressed me, other than a sometimes less than smooth bokeh like in the dog pic above and I've got a Summilux 25 on the way.
    My fave Canon lens was my 50L so I'm guessing the 25 will get most use on MFT.

Ideally I'd really like an equivalent to the 16-35l but that 7-14 doesn't look like good value to me. Might go for the 9-18 Olympus at some point but then one of the others would have to go, rob 14-45, as I've only got room for 3 lenses in my new downsized bag :)

At the moment these 3 are ideal for me. What's your lens lineup?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. granlaw

granlaw Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 13, 2011
    Yeah - that's Bertie, my 13 yr old Lurcher modelling for me (again!). I'm sure he enjoys it really.
  14. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Sounds like a nice kit Grant. Congrats.

Me, mate, I have the 14-45 and 45-200 - nice bang for buck and I reckon the former is probably the nicest of the kit zooms out there. Also the 20/1.7, but my first and main love is the PL25. It is the purest kinda love between us :blush: Honestly mate I reckon you're going to be one very happy man once it arrives. I have no hesitation in comparing it to any prime I had on my previous Pentax kit. It has a render that easily competes with the legendary FA31/1.8 - there's just something about what it does with the light. I'm really looking forward to your thoughts on it as well as seeing what you can do coupled with the GH2 and your eye.

If I can pry the PL25 off the camera then there might be something in also pursuing the 7-14 and a macro....just not quite sold on the native 45mm though. :confused:

Again, mate, it's great to have you on-board.

15. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Love the captures and PP, Grant!
  16. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Not arguing, but I think the 7-14 is a great value. No, it's not cheap, but it is a simply brilliant lens. Sharp and contrasty throughout the zoom range. It's one of the best lenses Panasonic makes in my opinion, and well worth the price and slightly (by m43 standards) heavy weight. I picked mine up used, but in absolutely like new condition, for $800 US, and I'm very glad I did. If you like the 16-35 range on FF (or the 10-22 on APS-C), you'll love the 7-14.

My basic travel kit is the 20 / 1.7, 7-14 and 14-140. The 14-140 is at least as sharp as the 14-45 (which I also own, and carry if I'm going to be mostly indoors) and incredibly versatile. I've also got the 45-200, which I think is under rated. A bit soft at the long end, but eminently usable. Most of the time, though, I find the 14-140 long enough for my needs.
  17. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

DOnt worry..they don't know how to read except C and L ..lol
  18. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Welcome Grant

Welcome and lets hope u enjoy ur new toy. I think its just like downgrading for a 4WD to a small car with turbo charge engine .U can drive around in the city and when u need real power and punch ..its there .
    Ur shots are stunning
  19. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Welcome from a fellow GH2 owner!

Can I ask how you got the sky so smooth in that first pic? I'm not very experienced in post processing and only really just have learned the basic dials in Lightroom. One area the GH2 has struggled is noise in blue skies and the usually great NR in Lightroom doesn't seem to help me a lot there. Your's looks perfect and noiseless.