Hi everyone!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by zeropoint, Jun 24, 2013.

1. zeropoint

zeropoint Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2013
    Nagano, Japan
    Sean
    I've been lurking here for a while, but I finally made an account as I'm planning to buy an OM-D this month. Right now I have a Canon S95 that I like a lot but I want something better all-around performance and especially with better low-light performance.

I don't know if I should make a new thread to ask this, but I'm wondering if it's worth the (considerable) extra money to buy a Panasonic 12-35 F2.8 zoom instead of the kit zoom? Or is that overkill for a relative novice like me?

FWIW I live in Japan where both the camera and the lens seem to be somewhat less expensive than elsewhere.

Anyway, I look forward to participating in the forums! :smile:

2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Hey Sean, Welcome!! I'm in Japan too, although a bit more east than your location :biggrin:

Since it's your first m4/3 camera I would suggest getting the E-M5 with the kit lens first to test the water. Later on if you think m4/3 is the right system for you, you will eventually know what lens you want/need and the decision whether to buy the 12-35mm f/2.8 or other faster lenses will be much easier.

Are you familiar with the camera shops around? a good price reference is www.mapcamera.com or www.amazon.jp

3. zeropoint

zeropoint Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2013
    Nagano, Japan
    Sean
    Thanks monk3y! I was going to buy thru Amazon but it looks like Map Camera has some pretty decent used deals...

You're probably right about the lens - I'll hold off for now. The reason I asked is I have a trip to Thailand coming up and I wanted to make sure I got the most out of it. But I suspect the kit lens is more than adequate.

4. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Yeap, they have pretty good used stuff at Map camera, there are a few more shops but Map camera is the easiest to deal with.

If your kit lens is the 12-50mm... all you need to add for your trip is a fast prime for night/evening/lowlight shots. This thread shows you what the kit lens can do...
    https://www.mu-43.com/f80/olympus-12-50mm-f-3-5-6-3-ez-image-thread-24326/index9.html

5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome aboard, Sean!

Regards,

Jim

6. zeropoint

zeropoint Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2013
    Nagano, Japan
    Sean
    Thanks guys. Now I just have to decide: black or silver? Leaning towards silver, but not 100%...

7. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I got all silver...even the lenses:D

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

8. zeropoint

zeropoint Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2013
    Nagano, Japan
    Sean
    Just placed the order! Decided to get a new silver one thru Amazon with the 12-50 kit lens, and the Olympus 45mm. Excited!

9. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Welcome Sean and enjoy the new kit, the OMD is a superb machine and I replaced all my DSLR+PanyGX1 for an OMD kit earlier this year and have no regrets.

The 12-50 is a fairly good performing lens if used carefully so will give you a useful tool for your trip and I agree that fast primes are also a viable support system for low light work.

Enjoy and share the results.