Hi everyone!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by zeropoint, Jun 24, 2013.

1. zeropoint

zeropoint Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2013
    Nagano, Japan
    Sean
    I've been lurking here for a while, but I finally made an account as I'm planning to buy an OM-D this month. Right now I have a Canon S95 that I like a lot but I want something better all-around performance and especially with better low-light performance.

I don't know if I should make a new thread to ask this, but I'm wondering if it's worth the (considerable) extra money to buy a Panasonic 12-35 F2.8 zoom instead of the kit zoom? Or is that overkill for a relative novice like me?

FWIW I live in Japan where both the camera and the lens seem to be somewhat less expensive than elsewhere.

Anyway, I look forward to participating in the forums! :smile:

2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Hey Sean, Welcome!! I'm in Japan too, although a bit more east than your location :biggrin:

Since it's your first m4/3 camera I would suggest getting the E-M5 with the kit lens first to test the water. Later on if you think m4/3 is the right system for you, you will eventually know what lens you want/need and the decision whether to buy the 12-35mm f/2.8 or other faster lenses will be much easier.

Are you familiar with the camera shops around? a good price reference is www.mapcamera.com or www.amazon.jp

3. zeropoint

zeropoint Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2013
    Nagano, Japan
    Sean
    Thanks monk3y! I was going to buy thru Amazon but it looks like Map Camera has some pretty decent used deals...

You're probably right about the lens - I'll hold off for now. The reason I asked is I have a trip to Thailand coming up and I wanted to make sure I got the most out of it. But I suspect the kit lens is more than adequate.

4. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Yeap, they have pretty good used stuff at Map camera, there are a few more shops but Map camera is the easiest to deal with.

If your kit lens is the 12-50mm... all you need to add for your trip is a fast prime for night/evening/lowlight shots. This thread shows you what the kit lens can do...
    https://www.mu-43.com/f80/olympus-12-50mm-f-3-5-6-3-ez-image-thread-24326/index9.html

5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome aboard, Sean!

Regards,

Jim

6. zeropoint

zeropoint Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2013
    Nagano, Japan
    Sean
    Thanks guys. Now I just have to decide: black or silver? Leaning towards silver, but not 100%...

7. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I got all silver...even the lenses:D

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

8. zeropoint

zeropoint Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2013
    Nagano, Japan
    Sean
    Just placed the order! Decided to get a new silver one thru Amazon with the 12-50 kit lens, and the Olympus 45mm. Excited!

9. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Welcome Sean and enjoy the new kit, the OMD is a superb machine and I replaced all my DSLR+PanyGX1 for an OMD kit earlier this year and have no regrets.

The 12-50 is a fairly good performing lens if used carefully so will give you a useful tool for your trip and I agree that fast primes are also a viable support system for low light work.

Enjoy and share the results.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.