Hi everyone!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by tryphon, Feb 20, 2012.

1. tryphon

tryphon New to Mu-43

Feb 20, 2012
    I am an Italian who has been living in Florida for twenty years: I have been a keen photographer for nearly fifty years, using a number of film cameras (mainly Pentax and Nikon, including a mint SP!) and now digital, including two Lumic micro 4/3 (GF1 and GF2).
    I used to restore anc collect classic cameras and the reason for choosing micro 4/3 as a system is the possibility of using some of my old, classic lenses (Takumars, Nikkors and RF Contax). I look forward to the discussions on this fine Forum! Thanks for your welcome!
  2. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Look forward to your contributions. Sounds like you will have a lot to add for the 'adapted lens' folks. I was steering clear of all that until I started to want more reach. I am toying with the idea of using large fast old manual focus telephotos on my m4/3 cameras. But still need to know more. I'm worried about focusing with my old eyes. Do you have any experience along this line? :smile:
  3. tryphon

tryphon New to Mu-43

Feb 20, 2012
    Thanks! Not yet, but I intend to give my old lenses a good workout. I plan on using a tripod and I hope proper focusing is not too hard to achieve. I'll let you guys know!
  4. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

For the manual focus lenses, DEFINITELY the VF-2 viewfinder.

For the telephotos, Oly should be offering more choice toward manual-focus assist. 5X - 10X is way too much on top of 300mm or such.

If you're looking for a fun challenge, the small mirror lenses are a blast with m43: just amazing reach for a very small overall size. The trick is getting good focus however, because of the very thin depth of field at such focal lengths.
  5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Well since you have a GF1 and GF2 then I would suggest an LVF1 (the VF2 is Olympus only). When using legacy glass an EVF is very very helpful. That said, the LVF1 isn't ideal (image is very small) and you could probably find a used G1 for not much more. The EVF in the G1 (and G2 as well) is very very good. I would even go so far as to say it is a bit better than the much loved Olympus EVF the VF2 (which I currently have).
  6. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I love the personality of the old lenses. I agree about the getting lvf1. Looking forward to some seeing you photos as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
  7. tryphon

tryphon New to Mu-43

Feb 20, 2012
    I have an MTO 500 F8.0
    I will definitely give it a spin.
  8. tryphon

tryphon New to Mu-43

Feb 20, 2012
    Thanks! I just ordered a hood that fits over the LCD screen. I'll see if I can use the screen for manual focusing. I'll keep the EVF option in mind.