Hi and looking for a new M43 camera

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by mikegrr, Dec 7, 2010.

1. mikegrr

mikegrr New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2010

I'm taking a trip to the far east for a couple weeks and looking for a small quality camera. Size is important to me, but IQ and the ability to control the camera count too. I don't feel like taking my Canon DSLR, so i'm looking for an alternative. The GF1 and the E-P2 seem to meet my specs and I expect to buy one in the next few days.

The information on the forums here have been very useful and I'm looking forward to learning more about these cutting edge cameras.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Welcome Mike and hello from Scotland :) You couldn't go wrong with either of those cameras - they're both great. You'll have a lot of fun with them - especially when it comes to using legacy lenses.

All the best,

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Hi Mike,

I know you posted about the 14-150. A great travel lens.

Let me spend more of your money, though lol!

Have you considered the 9-18 -- another good travel lens. Also, a nice fast, legacy prime is a lot of fun.

You might only need the 14-150 + 20/1.7, but some other tricks in your bag would be fun, too. Like maybe a Takumar 50mm 1.4 (can be found for less than $100, lens + adapter).

One lens I love is a c-mount Fujian 35mm 1.7. It's sharp in the middle, and blurry on the edges. Takes very different shots like these (and cost about $60 total -- $30 each for the lens and the adapter):

• Like Like x 2
  4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Focusing speed and in built flash versus in body IS and a nicer jpeg output. That's really your decision. Personally I prefer in body IS, especially for travel but that may not be every ones preference. I also like the collapsable design of the Oly kit lens, again it's great for travel.

Faster af
    Slightly better menu system.
    Inbuilt flash
    More " business" like design.

in body IS
    Much better optional viewfinder
    Just a really good looking camera
    Nicer colours in jpeg output ( actually some of the nicest joeys you'll ever see)

• Like Like x 1
  5. mikegrr

mikegrr New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2010
    Thanks, everyone.
    Spend my money:) the 14-150 is expensive enough! and i don't even have the camera yet. I would like the 9-18 to cover the wide end...someday.

If I get a converter will the e-p2 take canon lenses and focus and set aperture?
  6. mikegrr

mikegrr New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2010
    Hi from the east coast USA

I'm located in the east coast USA and I'm to Vietnam for an extended trip.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    No to focus, IS, and aperture.
  8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Mike good luck in your decision. We've got people here who swear by the GF1 and those who feel the same way about the E-P2. I will say that if you feel the need or want for a viewfinder that the Olympus EVF is stellar.

Keep asking questions and don't hesitate to start a new thread in the This or That forum, which is where people compare and contrast different cameras while they're trying to make a decision.

Your trip should be fantastic!
  9. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hello and welcome Mike from Holland !
  10. mikegrr

mikegrr New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the welcome. I decided on an e-p2 with a 14-150 lens with a clearviewer. I like the form factor and the IQ. IMO, if you add an EVF, you may as well buy a SLR style camera like the GH2 because it adds to the size and the cost. Just my 2 cents.

11. Chuckr53

Chuckr53 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2010
    Estero, FL
    Compact camera

For a travel kit, I would recommend the E-PL1 over the E-P2 simply for the fact that it has the built in flash you could use for fill-flash shots and you can use it for bouncing flash off ceilings. Granted it's not the strongest flash, but it's certainly handy not having to carry a separate strobe.

I also recommend a few back up batteries...

I use the 14-150 when I travel, and it focuses fine. It does have an issue in dim light, so I use AF+MF.

Good luck in 'Nam.