1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

hi all Sheffield uk

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by mark145max, Mar 10, 2013.

1. mark145max

mark145max New to Mu-43

Mar 7, 2013
    Sheffield uk
    mark
    Hi,
    Just joined this hoping to tap in to your pool of knowledge.
    To my wife's dismay I am a hobbiest. By this I mean I like hobbies!
    Lots of hobbies!
    In essense I am a born again photographer as this my return to a hobby that I loved once and lost. In those days, however, it was all film and so in this new age of digital I find myself wandering into a strange land where all that I knew is now primitive ,outdated.
    On my return I had a firm idea of what I wanted and what I didn't want.
    I wanted to shoot quality images with the creative aspect you can get with an SLR.
    What I didn't want was to have to carry lots of gear about as I have a few trips up mountains in the lakes booked and as I live in the peak district I go fell running every weekend. I wanted something I could sling across my back and go with.
    After the necessary research that proceeds a new hobby alas I discovered micro four thirds! Perfect for my needs, SLR capabilities, interchangeable lens, discreet, small, compact, great versatility, beautiful technology unlike the ugly dslr's out there. I bought the Olly omd, I love it, its a fantastic peice of kit, perfect for my needs.
    So, that's me hoping to tap into a wealth of experience and knowledge available here.
    Cheers
    Mark

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum, Mark.

Regards,

Jim

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 App

3. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Hi Mark, welcome to the forum.

My daughter went to Uni in Sheffield, and now lives there.

I've been walking around Edale in the Hope Valley, but that was before I had any decent camera gear. :biggrin: :biggrin:

I took this of the alleyway between the Town Hall & the Peace Gardens last time I was there

8221506588_4fe3850555_b.

201211_Sheffield_Nov_2012_423-B&W
    by savvy249, on Flickr

Look forward to seeing some of yours!! :smile:

4. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Hello Mark and welcome to the forum!

I think you have made a good decision to go m4/3 and especially to buy the OM-D. I hope you post here some photos of Sheffield because I'm coming there with my wife to witness the Snooker World Champs. We are really looking forward to see Sheffield for the first time. And to see Ronnie if we are lucky enough! :hail::hail: :tiphat:

5. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    OP, welcome to the forum and hope to see your pictures very soon!

savvy - what a picture!!!!!!!! :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the forum! I really love the :43: system, great size, great lens and camera selection. :cool:

7. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    @Thomas, thanks - yes I was quite pleased with the Edwardian feel I managed to get with this treatment, and also the juxtaposition of the old vs the new (security camera). If you like this one, click through the image to my Flickr page, and look for the Sheffield set. There is another B&W there, of the Winter Gardens (a Glass & Wood arched building with a metal ball water feature in front) - that one's been chosen by Sheffield City Council to go in their database of images, to potentially be used in promotional literature sometime this year.

Sheffield and its surrounding areas, especially the Peak District, is a great place. I love travelling up there, and not just to see my daughter, although she's pretty special too.