Hi all from Paris, France

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Peejay, May 12, 2014.

1. Peejay

Peejay Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    Paris, France
    Not many people from my neck of the woods on this site, I thought I would improve the statistics !

In the past I had been lurking in the shadows of the old Four/Thirds Photo forum, from these days I remember OzRay who posts a lot here and was then an active member of the other forum. I hesitated a moment, however the nice old boys over in the other forum are too fiercely clinging to their 4/3 lenses and since I haven’t kept any, well …

I’m not quite new to photography nor to M43, my serious dabbling in photography dates back to the late seventies when I acquired a Nikon EM, the smallest and cheapest ever Nikon SLR, then in the eighties, a Minolta 7000, the first autofocus SLR, and in the late nineties the ill-fated Minolta Vectis which I quickly supplemented with my first Olympus and first digital camera, the C2000, a revelation! From then on, apart from a couple of moments of distraction with Canon (a film Rebel T2 and a (too) heavy EOS 5D), I have remained loyal to Olympus : E 400, then EPL2 and now an OMD-EM1, another revelation!
    A little anecdote : when I went to buy the E400 back in 2007, the salesman asked me what kind of camera I’d had, and I dutifully listed my previous acquisitions, then he smiled and said “I understand now why you would want the E400 !”. That was when buying Olympus was, I suppose, considered to be an original thing to do.

I believe the OMD-EM1 will be a landmark which will be remembered as the entrance of the M43 format in the big league. It’s interesting in this respect to note the new stance of specialized periodicals, at least in France : whereas a few years ago Olympus gears were reviewed with studied condescension, now it’s overt praise and judgements of serious threat to the APS-C DSLRs. Well things have certainly changed and you’ve only to look through the EM1’s viewfinder and see the resulting picture to fully realise it. I can only humbly echo the verdict of Michael Reichmann of Luminous Landscape who’s awarded it the title of “Best New Camera of 2013”!

Of course, one cannot help worrying over the financial quagmire in which Olympus finds itself. On this subject I cannot help wondering about this sudden renewed harassment on the part of the banks in the wake of the EM5’s and EM1’ successes …? Or have I been reading too many conspiracy theory books …?

• Like Like x 2
  2. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    paris is my favorite city for photography. cant wait to see some photos!
  3. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
  4. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Paris is my favourite city for just about everything.

Once got caught in terrible rain there then thought to myself you have to get caught in a downpour Paris is probably the best place in the world to be. Just settled down in a cafe and watched life go by for an hour or two. Wonderful.

Welcome to MU-43.