1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hi µ43! I brought an OM-D from Belgium to Pittsburgh!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by ccaroline, Sep 9, 2013.

1. ccaroline

ccaroline New to Mu-43

Sep 9, 2013
    Hi everyone!

My OM-D is my first "serious" camera. I've had it since February 2013 and I love it! I've been a long time lurker but now it's time to post some pictures and get some purchase advice.

I'm Belgian but I currently live in Pittsburgh, PA for four months and plan to travel a lot whilst I'm here. I'd love to travel around the US another month just after, as long as my visa allows ^^.

I've got:
    - Olympus OM-D E-M5 (black)
    - the kit lens: 12-50mm. I've been using this for macro a lot too and the weathersealing comes in handy. I mostly use it at the wide end.
    - Lowepro Passport Sling. I love how it doesn't scream camerabag and it's a daytrip bag at the same time.
    - a 1970's Auto-Yashinon 50mm f/1.7 that used to be my father's. And a convertor for the m4/3 format!
    - a 1970's 135mm lens which I don't really get: Is it a tele-, a macro- or a portraitlens? I've got a feeling I need a tripod for it, because it's superhard to keep sharp.
    - a 1970's giant Soligor telelens

I'm looking to buy:
    - the Panny 20mm! Old version though, it's cheaper :D.
    - ND grad filter
    - Polarizing filter

Have a great day everyone!

Caroline

2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Welcome! Be sure to post some pics...

3. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    Welcome to Pittsburgh! I think you'll find that you never run out of great photography opportunities in this town, so expect to put that OM-D to good use!

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the user group, Caroline! Please post some images from your Pittsburgh/US travels.

One other lens that you may want to look at, if you are interested in the field of view, is the Panasonic 14mm. It focuses quickly and quietly on the OM-D and is super tiny. They can be found new for around $160 on Ebay, many of them from Asia, where they are from Panasonic camera kits (no box).

5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    If you want to get together for a photowalk and things, let me know. I live here, ans would happily let you borrow the 20 for a walk. Oh and have both Nds and polarizers to play with.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Ccaroline, welcome aboard!

Enjoy your stay here in the States.

Regards,

Jim

7. ccaroline

ccaroline New to Mu-43

Sep 9, 2013
    Thanks xdayv. I will, soon!

Thanks rnagoda. I had fun yesterday up at Mount Washington with a friend and his tripod! I live in Shadyside.

Thanks for the welcome and the recommendation. I'm gonna go for the 20mm for the time being, as the 14mm is f\2.5?

Sounds like a great idea Cruzan80! Although I think I'm gonna go and order th 20 and some filters today or tomorrow, as I'm going to DC for the weekend.

I posted some newbie questions in https://www.mu-43.com/f110/buying-panny-20mm-filters-52266/ :)

Thanks Jim, I fully intend to!

8. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    Hey - we're practically neighbors - I'm just in Highland Park, just a mile or so from Shadyside!

Since you are coming from Belgium and landed in Shadyside, I'm obligated to point you towards the Sharp Edge Beer Emporium, very close to you, and Pittsburgh's Belgian beer headquarters. I wouldn't recommend the food, but if you're looking for a Bornem, Palm, Grimbergen, Maredsous, etc., that's your place: Beer Emporium Beer Menu :: sharp edge

9. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    The other nice place is Dee's, over in Regent Park. Lots of great beer (not as many on tap), but I find it much more relaxing (and easier on the wallet!).

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'm not sure what the relative prices are in the US compared to Belgium, but if you go to NYC be sure to make a pilgrimage to the "bricks and mortar" store for B&H. It's quite an experience. It's a huge camera store that literally has everything.

11. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Welcome Caroline! I see you have gotten some good info already! :smile:

12. rgk

rgk Mu-43 Rookie

It's nice to read that I'm not the only m43 shooter in Pittsburgh.

13. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Welcome Caroline, I too am from the 'Burg.

14. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome aboard! I was born and raised in Pgh, now I live about 90 minutes north. There are lots of great photo opportunities in and around Pgh. Enjoy! :cool:

15. ccaroline

ccaroline New to Mu-43

Sep 9, 2013
    :drinks: Golden tips! I'll try to educate my friends on beer over there! ;D

I have passed it at nighttime but will surely return. I did place an order there just know, I'm saving a lot of money on the gear in respect to buying in Belgium!

16. ccaroline

ccaroline New to Mu-43

Sep 9, 2013
    Thanks! I'd love to get critique on some pictures. How do I go about that? Is there a critique thread or can I just open my own "My half year all over the USA"-thread in ShowImages>Travel ?

Thanks! Isn't there some sort of photoclub in Pittsburgh? Or over at CMU (where I have a temporary assignment)