HHHR and Exposure Bracketing

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I've been pondering whether to shell out the cash to get the EM1.3. The main attraction is HHHR (and to a lesser degree LiveND). I've played with stacking before and I've also played with the EM1x's HHHR so I know that it's an effective technique that will lead to both higher res and improved noise.

However, I find for my landscape shooting that I very often use exposure bracketing (5 stops) and then HDR stacking later in PP. That way I can get excellent DR, even better than I'd get from a single shot on an FF camera.

But of course, you can't do exp bracketing directly with HHHR (I suppose I could take 5 separate HHHR shots - but that's going to take a minute or more, so any subject movement will be totally out of the question) . On the other hand, because the shadows will be a lot cleaner, there's a lot more latitude to push them later. And of course, the res is higher so noise effects will be suppressed by that too. So I'm thinking that maybe with HHHR the need for exp bracketing is much reduced.

Thoughts (sorry - just looking to air my thinking on this :))...

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I think you should buy the EM1.3 and let us know how it goes. The problem you have is that the seed has been planted in your brain and there's no way you'll be happy until a 1.3 is in your possession :)

I'm facing a similar dilemma by the way and can't imagine how I'll be able to resist a little (OK a lot) of Olympus retail therapy.

evilnim

Mu-43 Veteran
This kind of dilemma probably resonates with a lot of us on this forum. The niggling ‘what if...’ potential of the EM-1 mk III. Apologies, I’ve not really contributed to your question at all other than to provide some reassurance that you are not alone 🙂

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom