1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

HH: RAW or JPEG? Which one when?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by gsciorio, Nov 20, 2012.

1. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Hey everyone I was on a Hybrid Hangout talking with special guest Jared Polin about Jpeg or RAW.

I got to say that although I still shoot raw for jobs (at this time at least) I'm shooting 100% jpeg for fun.

What are you shooting?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jNStOSZ5660" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.discovermirrorless.com/hybrid-photography/hh-raw-or-jpeg-which-one-when/

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    100% RAW for fun. The RAW processing is part of the fun.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I shoot both :) jpgs are great to share on Facebook, and the raw files I use for the things I want to print etc.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    RAW, I like having as much control as I can!

• Like Like x 1
  5. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    RAW+JPEG.

My Fuji X-E1 has been programmed to give me exact looks down to a science.

Only if I want to pull extra detail out, or print big, or recover more than 1 stop, then the RAW is used.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    RAW+JPEG. JPEG is nice to have and be convenient, especially for images where sheer quality is not the major metric. Though to be honest, the real reason I keep the JPEG is it gives me a baseline to compare my RAW processing in Lightroom to. It might not be so useful if I had a good workflow settled.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Neither. I shoot straight 8-bit TIFF only. Unlike JPG they have no compression, but they are print-ready and cross-compatible with no proprietary software upgrades and extra processing, unlike RAW.

(Yes, I'm kidding. :) I shoot JPG.)

• Like Like x 2
  8. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    I always shoot RAW for anything where quality is important. I do occasionally shoot JPEG for "guick and dirties" that will only live as downsampled images for screen display.

• Like Like x 1
  9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Both. To me it's a no-brainer decision.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Just RAW.

• Like Like x 1
  11. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    I shoot RAW+JPEG, but only because I have the jpegs pushed from all my cameras to my Motorola Xoom. Otherwise I would shoot RAW+JPEG only on my wifes Fuji x10 for the same reason Drewbot mentioned earlier.

• Like Like x 1
  12. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    RAW + jpeg

I shoot RAW + jpeg. The jpeg I download to my ipad where I sort the files I want to select for further editing.

I enjoy post processing my RAW files. In any case, I am not really good enough to get a photo exactly how I want it 'in camera' and I can always improve its 'look' with a bit of 'pp'.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mainly jpeg. Raws if I know ahead of time if I'll have to do extensive image recovery.

• Like Like x 1
  14. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    RAW for me. I've learned the hard way that you can't leave it up to the camera to decide how your image will look. Used to be a SOOC jpeg fanatic and when I started editing, there were times when I regretted shooting in Jpeg which retains far less information.

• Like Like x 1
  15. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    only RAW here, and developping in LR4

C U,
    Rafael

• Like Like x 1
  16. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Same here!

...but I only switched from JPEG to RAW in the last half year.

• Like Like x 2
  17. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Been shooting RAW since I got my 300D way back in 2004, and I'm not going to change that. Shoot small or medium JPG alongside (as there's no need for 12 or 16MP images for sharing snapshots or web use), but there are always full-size RAW files available for those special images, those difficult images, and those images that are going to get printed BIG.

Memory cards are big and cheap. Same is pretty much true for hard drives. No-brainer for me.

18. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    I shoot Raw + Jpeg. Like others. Use to shoot jpeg only until recently where I
    try to recover bit more for the special shots. Raw can make that slight difference. So I shoot Raw+jpeg. So I can concentrate on the photo composition
    and one less thing to think about.

• Like Like x 1
  19. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Raw only. In my workflow, it is easier to export raws as JPEG for site uploads than manually doing JPEG uploads. I find LR applies a pretty good rendition of the Panny JPEG engine, so often no tweaking is necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  20. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Mostly raw. I'll shoot raw+jpeg on occasion if I want to share a lot of images with others.

I used to avoid raw because I thought it was too "hard" to work with. But since discovering Lightroom, raw has been a revelation. Last year I went back and imported a bunch of old raws and jpegs into LR, and did some manipulation on them. I wish I had shot them all as raw, as there's just so much more flexibility to work with them.

I'm an old darkroom guy, and to me a raw file is my negative, the jpeg my print.

• Like Like x 1