1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hey you older Photogs: Is it just me, or you too?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Crdome, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    This past year I've experiences extreme difficulty focusing manual lenses. Only 10% of nearly 400 shots combined from my last two all-day shootings were in focus. I was using my favorite Kodak Cine Ektar 25/1.4 and a Nikkor 50/1.4 on a GH2. Admittedly both events were very low light situations, which is fairly typical for me. However, such poor results aren't. Very frustrating. I used the MF assist feature and shots appeared dead on.

I had cataract surgery several years ago and last check up I was perfect, but I wasn't tested peering through a tiny EVIL monitor.

Is this something some of you have experienced too, or is it time for another visit to the ophthalmologist?

Thanks for your input.

-Chrome

2. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Well, I've worn glasses for 50 years, but manual focus, at least on the E-M5 or with the EVF2 hasn't been a big problem. I've been shooting some hawks with a 300mm, while I certainly don't nail all of them, I've been pleased with the ratio of keepers to throw aways; there are at least as many in focus shots as with the D.Zuiko 70-300.

I think any difficulty with your eyes, but especially if it constitutes a change, warrants a visit to an eye doctor -- ophthalmologist or optometrist licensed to test for glaucoma, etc.

I'm 62, so no youngster, and I'd have my eyes checked in the same situation.

3. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Do you wear your glasses when you shoot?

4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I've pretty much given up on manual focus. I've worn glasses since I was nine, and I could focus manually just fine in college. Now at 51, I've got cataracts (not yet "ripe" enough for surgery), and my vision fluctuates due to having to take prednisone. My visual accuity drops off later in the day too, despite wearing a weaker Rx for computer work. I'm told this is because I spent so many years staring at a computer monitor 8+ hours a day. Thank goodness for auto focus! But my eyes aren't those of your average glasses-wearing older person. :eek:

I did see a video of how the upcoming EP5's focus peaking helps with judging DOF and wondered if that might allow me to MF again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

5. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I do. And I wear progressive lenses. It somehow is just easier than taking my glasses on and off. I pretty much put them on in the morning and take them off last thing before I shut out the lights at night. I'm near sighted enough that I feel a bit disoriented without my specs.

6. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    You've got me beat. I started wearing mine at 12 yrs. old. I'm lucky that my eyes have stood up as well as they have, and since moving to the southwest I'm pretty careful about wearing sunglasses. I know several people with macular degeneration, which seems to be way too common in this part of the world. Problem is we're living more years than our body parts evolved for, and until stem cells come to the rescue, there won't be parts stores for us. :rolleyes:

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    After shooting MF for approximately four decades, I am always surprised that there are people out there who actually enjoy the MF experience. I find AF so easy, quick and actually enjoyable, (when compared to MF), that I only shoot native glass.

Gary

PS- For what it's worth, I shoot with glasses or contacts.
    =G=

8. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I've been wearing glasses since I was 9 as well, and I'm getting ready for my second cataract as well. I'll also be getting a second vitrectomy to remove floaters. Talk about something that can ruin your day! This time though I'm not going to have glasses, but one perfect eye and a contact in the other. I can still manual focus at age 58, but low light gets harder and harder to deal with.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

9. Captmatt

Captmatt Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2013
    Homer, Alaska
    Matt Wilkens
    With the magnification available on EM 5 and Fuji XE-1, I get more like 75% keepers with slow moving landscapes. Without the magnification feature I would get it hit and miss, usually miss.

10. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I had cataract surgery over ten years ago but never had more of a problem with MF after than I had before. On the other hand, I agree with the philosophy : Why MF when you can AF?

11. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    I had cataract surgery last year, and it's a mixed bag for me. My Leicas have large eyecups and I like to take my glasses off to shoot MF with them. Same with my Mamiya 6. My Bronica ETRS is split image MF, so it's easier and I shoot with my glasses on. I seem to have more trouble with merging image focusing. When I shoot MF on my OMD, I mostly use glasses, and it's probably 50/50 between magnify and key line focusing.
    Which ever camera or glasses/no glasses, I find it just takes me a long time to focus with the merging image style focusing but the split image works pretty well.
    The OMD is mostly a guess compared to the other cameras. I flat out don't see as well as I used to...
    Why shoot MF when there is AF? Because a lot of my film cameras are MF for one. Another is my Leica and Voigtlander glass. And finally, AF and chumping make you L A Z Y.

12. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    I just hit 50 this year and have had glasses forever. I'm a progressive lens wearer as well and seeing the image clearly is a fairly frustrating part of shooting. You know it's this whole other lens system to navigate. I do rely on the focus zoom a lot. Even AF can miss the intended mark. Macro shooting is a great example where the extra fine focusing can make a huge difference. I haven't tried going without eye wear and just adjusting the EVF.

I do love the MF lenses though as they all have their own character and that's too good to give up.

13. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Over 50 years with MF, and find that I am moving to AF more and more. It is frustrating at times for close up work. Doesn't always lock where I want it to. But with practice and using smallest single focus point, it works better. But for critical macro, I still prefer, and use MF. MF assist really helps, as cumbersome as it is, for really close work. But the reality is my eyes are going away. And I'm enjoying photography as long as possible, with what ever assistance I can get.

14. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

52, cataract surgery already in both eyes, have to wear trifocals all day.

I find the combination of the VF-2 and the focus magnification button works for me. But setting the diopter correction is crucial.

15. TDP

TDP Guest

Maybe you accidentally rolled your diopter?

16. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    I thought of that. But I do frequently check that too.

17. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

So many ways for things to go wrong in long exposures ... that's my excuse.

18. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    They can remove floaters? Fantastic news! I'll have to ask my eye doc about that when I see him next year. Perhaps they can do cataracts and floaters all in one go. Yes, my night vision is definitely not what it used to be. I'm OK driving on familiar roads at night, but when I'm driving someplace new, I do it during the daylight.

Edit: Oh, I just looked up "vitrectomy." That's the same surgery they do for retinal detachment, and it's much more involved than cataract surgery. Recovery requires lying face down for a week or more. I guess I'll be keeping my floaters!

19. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Everyone: Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts. I plan another trip to the ophthalmologist soon, though my assumption it is general age degradation caused by the eye's sphere intermittent changing of the shape during the day and receptors capacity. In the mean time, I will experiment with such alien concepts as focusing with left eye (which still has a cataract), and shooting with reading glasses on.

I have mostly enjoyed beyond perfect vision 20/17, except for that over 40 thing with reading. My cataracts were not the typical yellowed, front of the lens variety that most experience, but tiny dead center ones on back of lenses. They don't alter focus, but effect night vision by bouncing stray light, which has entered the eye, back to the receptors again causing hundreds of light beams. To best describe, it is like driving in white out conditions using high beams at night.

I'm officilally retired. I will no longer need to drive 45 minutes at nite on a high trafficed, narrow, two lane highway, with deep drainage ditches rather than shoulders. Less than 20 feet on the right are heavily traveled train tracks. Driving between two intense oncoming light sources was a nightmare.

-Chrome

20. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I only own native lenses due to the difficulty I have using MF. But when it comes to macro, I'd like to be able to at least fine focus manually. The "in-focus" beep my Pentax bodies emitted (in MF) helped me tremendously. With m43, I use the small focus box, and that helps in making sure I get the focus point just right. Still, even with "magnify," I don't MF or even fine tune, as I'll almost always get it wrong. But close-up and macro shooting is where I could really benefit from MF. It's not quite as difficult when the camera's on a tripod and I have time to readjust the diopter, etc. :smile: