Hey Olympus!!! Got your ears on?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SRHEdD, Feb 5, 2012.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Hoping upon hope that someone at Oly scans this forum once in a while...

THIS IS WHAT I WANTED... PLEASE CONSIDER THIS AN E-P4:

[​IMG]

Sounds like a great new camera you've made, but some of us LIKED the old form factor. I have a great VF-2 for when I want it (not often).

(Yes, I could do better in PS, no it didn't warrant THAT much time...)

• Like Like x 4
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Hey, it looks good!

Actually, this is pretty much what I want... an updated E-P3, perhaps with a bit better grip, but same overall size. I don't use the EVF often, so the optional one is okay with me. I would like to keep the built-in-flash, though. I rarely use it, but it does come in handy for fill occasionally (those times where I would have a 0% chance of remembering to carry an accessory flash in my pocket).

3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Especially if they can make it tilt back like the E-PL2.

4. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Yup, that would be great.

5. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    While you were at it you could have 'shopped that lens to be at least f2 :smile:

6. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Great point!

Hmm, how about f1.8.

7. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    [​IMG]

Flash is back, 2.0 will have to do...

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The new camera isn't a PEN, it's an OM-D series. There will be new PENs in a few months' time, I imagine.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree with you SRHEdD, this is the camera I want as well. However, you notice that they created a new line rather than making the new camera an "E-P5", meaning that the PEN line is still alive for those of us seeking a smaller form factor. :) Something for everyone!

10. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Perfect, now swap out the top plate, re-program a little... E-P4! An E-P4 like this with the benefits of both, the grip accessory, but an accessory VF would be sweet... and maybe could outsell the other one!

11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    It seems pretty likely that the E-P4 (or P5) will have the sensor and other electronics from the OMD in the existing Pen form factor. It'll look like a Pen, though, not like an OMD without the finder.

12. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Getting rid of the built-in flash would be a mistake.

Ideally Olympus should just give the E-P4 a tiltable screen and call it a day. I wonder though, if they're going to reserve it to the E-PL4 and OMD as feature differentiators. I hope not...

13. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

.......and hot off the presshttp://www.43rumors.com/

14. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Thanks for listening. Your turn, Olympus :biggrin:

15. The E-M5 does not appear (to me) to be a GH replacement, and the viewfinder makes it too bulky to be a Pen replacement so yes, a Pen with E-M5 internals sounds perfect.

GH1 + any new compact Olympus Pen body with an updated sensor sounds like a m4/3 gear combination for the long-term for me.

16. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

It would be cool with me if they squeezed a VF in the corner, like a old Pen. I couldn't begin to speculate where would be a suitable place to put it, but still.

17. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    This is the exact new model I am waiting for... :thumbup:

18. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    This is exactly my position. I like the features in the OM-D series that wouldn't make sense in a PEN -- and I look forward to the OM-D improvements trickling down into the PEN line. My only worry is that the new sensor and associated processor improvements don't trickle down to the next PEN Mini.

19. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I wouldn't worry too much about this. If they hold on to the old sensor any longer in the PEN series, they will risk losing market share to Panasonic, which has been using the new sensor since the G3. My concern, on the other hand, is the form factor of the new E-P_. I hope they maintain the form factor of the E-P3, which I absolutely love...

20. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    I also prefer the EP3 design :biggrin:, it's more elegant..