Hey all. I'm using the gh3 in creative manual video mode; but I cannot control exposure comp???

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by pointbob, Nov 25, 2013.

1. pointbob

pointbob Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    Hey all. I'm using the gh3 in creative manual video mode; but I cannot control exposure comp control (i have access to aperture/speed/iso)..so is this possible? again; i'm in manual mode...but cannot seem to access exposure compensation...is there a solution?
  2. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

When engaging exposure compensation, you're telling the camera to vary one of the parameters you're not directly controlling. For instance, if you're shooting in aperture priority mode with auto-ISO off, you're telling the camera it has control only over shutter speed. So, when you apply some exposure compensation while in this mode, the camera knows it has control over shutter speed and that's the parameter it varies to get your requested setting.

When you're in a fully-manual mode, in effect you're telling the camera "I'm taking full responsibility for everything, just do what I say." You haven't left any parameter up to the camera, so it can't know which one to vary if you try to dial in exposure compensation. Since you're controlling all of the parameters, if you want an exposure setting other than what the meter thinks is right you modify one of the parameters yourself.

For instance, if you wanted to dial in some negative exposure compensation while in manual mode, you'd first adjust the aperture/speed/ISO to a setting where the meter tells you the exposure is correct. Then, to get the negative compensation you're looking for, you'd do one of:

- Close down the aperture
    - Increase the shutter speed
    - Lower the ISO setting

until the meter reflects the amount of "negative compensation" you're after.

If this isn't what you want, then you need to be shooting in something other than manual mode.
  3. tamccain

tamccain New to Mu-43

Nov 11, 2013
    in the creative modes you cannot make manual adjustments.
  4. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    In your sig line it says you have a G5, he has a GH3. With the G5 in video mode there is no provision for manual control over aperture, shutter, and likely also true of ISO.

With the GH3 with the dial icon set to the movie cam icon (Creative Movie Mode on the GH3) and EXPOSURE MODE set to "M" you have full manual control over all three parameters, but EXPOSURE COMPENSATION is not available.

The same is true on the GH3 when the dial on top is set to "M"anual (for still photography).

You are in essence telling the camera YOU want to control all parameters of exposure.
  5. Larry H-L

Larry H-L Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Ohio, USA
    Somewhat odd that you cannot set the metering to compensate... Some other brands of cameras will allow you to do it.

Just thinking, could you change the ISO slightly to make the exposure adjustment?
  6. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I no longer have Canon's but as I remember in Video mode with full manual there was no exposure compensation as such, but you could effect that directly with exposure adjustments. The Panasonic GH2's also did not have exposure compensation when in video full manual mode.

Yes, on the Canon's I had and on the GH3 ISO is one of the three exposure parameters you can adjust directly and independently. It is important to have EXPOSURE MODE set to ON with the top dial set to the "movie cam" icon, and CONSTANT PREVUE set to ON, so the LCD or EVF show exposure changes. This works only in manual mode for video and manual for stills, in any of the AUTO modes the viewfinder images will not show changes.