Hexanon slightly dented rear housing. help?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by flextone, Jan 29, 2014.

1. flextone

flextone Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2013
    Hi there,

I recently bought the 50/1.4 Hexanon and discovered a dent in the back housing ring, where the lens meets the adapter. No light is penetrating through it so I doubt it's a big deal, but I just hate looking at it. Is there an easy fix to this? I can live with it if not...

pics:

Attached Files:

2.jpg
      File size:
      128.4 KB
      Views:
      1.jpg
      File size:
      154.8 KB
      Views:
  2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Take the screws out and either some padded pliers to bring the dent out or a shaped wooden/plastic formslotted in to push out the metal - probably isn't much room to move in there unless the glass/inner-barrel comes out.

If it doesn't affect the picture, I'd be tempted to leave it.

3. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Is it affecting the smoothness of your aperture ring? If your aperture ring doesn't feel stiff at all I would say just leave it.

Must of been a bad fall. Hopefully it didn't rattle the glass elements around inside the lens.

4. flextone

flextone Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2013
    I only took a few test shots indoors so I can't be 100% sure the lens operates flawlessly.

The aperture ring does feel a bit stiff though...

5. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    If the aperture feels stiff it is most likely due to that dent rubbing against the mount when the aperture is turned. I had the exact same problem with one of my cheap Hexanon lenses where I completely thought the aperture ring has seized up. But when I pushed the dented metal away from the mount a little, the aperture turned flawlessly.

6. flextone

flextone Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2013
    I'm trying to have a go at this but the mount doesn't want to come off from the lens. after removing the screws it gets stuck between the dent and that little wedge as you can see in the second photo. ideas?

update:
    tried bending it back without removing the mount and now the aperture ring is completely stuck :doh:

7. Layer-cake

Layer-cake Mu-43 Rookie

that's very bad unfortunately, the aperture ring on this lens is a threaded piece and it has very tight threads at that. you can maybe try screwing it off with force but you've probably done some damage to the threads so I'm not sure if its recoverable without a lot of work to smooth the treads out if you can bend it straight again.

my favourite lens and always in my bag!!