1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hexanon 50mm F1.4 disassembly tips?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by manzoid, Oct 26, 2012.

1. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    I recently bought a the 50mm f1.4 hexanon in "excellent" condition, and for the most part it is, but the aperture ring is jammed and stuck on 2.8. I am getting a full refund, but don't need to return the lens, so ihave nothing to lose trying to repair it myself.

It doesn't appear to be a problem with the aperture blades, as they open up when I move the little lever on the back. So i think it is just the dial.

I have Googled for repair videos or instructions on blogs/forums, and not comeuppance with much, but before I start, I wanted to at least ask the question here.

Any tips? Much appreciated.

2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    You'll probably get better help if you go the mflenses forums.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Julius

Julius Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2011
    Italy
    Giulio
  4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    There are also some great information in the stickies in the mflenses.com Care and Repair subforum - View Forum - Equipment Care and Repairs that I urge you to read if you are interested in going down this road.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Hope you can get it fixed. The Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 is a wonderful lens, and one of my all-time favorites...

konica_hexanon_50mm_1,4_web.

• Like Like x 1
  6. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    I noticed many views, so I thought I'd post an update...

Managed to get the aperture dial working more or less. It now works all the way from 1.4-16. I also managed to inadvertently de-clickify the aperture dial, which wasn't a goal but i can handle... Mostly the problems seems to have been seized grease because some lighter fluid and gentle working fixed it.

Unfortunately though, whilst trying to get the dial unjammed, I accidentally forced the focus ring and it no longer seems to engage the front element, though it doesn't spin freely... So i shall attempt to fix this as well though I am not optimistic.

At least it only cost me time and a few dollars on foreign exchange between purchasing and refunding. At least I am learning something!

7. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    De-clicking probably came from a missing ball bearing in the area you were in. That is how all of the minoltas I have knew to stop.

8. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
  9. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    You are correct. I did find a couple tiny ball bearings 'left over', but I am not too sure where to put them, and to be honest not too fussed either. I know the aperture starts at 1.4, and I can get an idea of how stopped down I am buy looking at the meter or how my shutter speed/ISO changes.

Unfortunately I haven't taken any pics, but I can give you an update. I managed to sort out the focus rings. There are three screws that hold it tightly in place that had come loose. I tightened them up in the right spot, but unfortunately I am having trouble getting the focusing hellicoid back together, because I can't figure out how to remove the post that prevents the lens from rotating when turning the focus ring... Difficult to explain without pics.

Anyway, I am giving it a bit of a break, cause I don't want to rush anything get frustrated and make it even worse. This is already beginning to feel like never ending job... Everytime I fix something it seems to create another problem that needs attention.

10. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    The Minolta ring I dis-assembled had grooves in it, that corresponded to the clicks. The ball bearing sat in a mini-grommet, and then I snapped the ring over it (held it with the glass horizontal front/back, with the ball bearing face up).

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Your new "stepless aperture" (the de-clicking you speak of) now makes the lens a better video lens, even if it's not as convenient for photos. :)

I have shot some incredible footage with a 50mm f/1.4, and I sure wouldn't mind having one with a stepless aperture.

12. Layer-cake

Layer-cake Mu-43 Rookie

the clicking mechanism on this lens is controlled by plates under the aperture ring, the are two small screws on the outer aperture ring that have a spring and a ball underneath it that are pushed up against the plates, my guess is with all the grease and the balls sitting in place for a while they are just stuck and need a degrease. its rather easy to do this.

the focus ring becoming loose is going to need a complete disassemble, the focus ring is held in place by 3 screws that are only visible once the main helicoid is removed, they most likely slipped at one point. its not an impossible lens to fix. I take photos of every step and never really have too much of a problem getting them back together correctly.

if you do decide on self repair please be careful of the aperture ring when removing and putting it back on. its a threaded piece and the threads are very thin and very sharp, so they can cut into each other very easily. go slowly when doing this cause they are also very tight and heat up very quick causing them to lock in place. almost lost mine because of this.

it really is a nice lens to use and look at, so well worth the time to repair.

13. oto02

oto02 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Melbourne, VICTORIA, AU
    Flo
    Konica Hexanon 50 1.7 and 25 3.5

I just purchased a 40 years old Konica 501.7. Was presented as "in good condition", and I bought it without having high expectations.
    My oh my, since I saw/touched it I was high straight away. It's in pristine condition and looks like came out right from the factory.
    I have bought many lenses 4/3 and m4/3 but I have to mention never got that feeling of perfectly done lens. Unreal feeling at touching/focusing.

I attached here a few picture for your enlightenment.

Couldn't not to go back to the seller and buy it's twin 25 3.5 even I know I won't going to use it. Paid $90 for bought but it's one of the best investment ever done.

Oh, I haven't got the adapter yet, just ordered one via eb*y, really look forward to use the 50 1.7 one.

Attached Files:

14. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Very tidy photo's!

If you are a fan of the Konica 28mm f3.5, try to chase down the 7 element version. AE with the smallest fstop = 16. 5 rows of pyramids on the textured focus grip rather than 3. Hexanon, not Hexar. Its supposed to be sharper than the newer 5 element version which you have. I have both, but been too lazy to do a proper comparison :tongue:

15. Thomas Lai

Thomas Lai New to Mu-43

Jan 11, 2016
    Hi Am trying to open up the front element of my Hexanon 50mm f1.4 .... need some help and directions please,
    Have removed name ring but cannot proceed beyond this step for the front glass elements
    The rear lens elements are easily removable.

Attached Files: